Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lack of dog parks has pet owners howling

Lack of dog parks has pet owners howling

recreation."

Consider it a small-scale Boston Tea Party with a canine twist. The organizer of a petition drive hopes to shame Buffalo officials into building two fenced-in dog parks - one for large animals, the other for more-petite pooches.

The city has talked about creating a dog park for years. Enough with the talk, says Corina Berman, who has been passing out leaflets to every dog owner she spots.
    The seeds for the protest were planted a month ago when the city launched an aggressive effort to enforce its dog-licensing law. Last year, the city issued more than 12,600 licenses. Even after sharing money with the county and state, Buffalo generated about $150,000 in dog license revenues.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...17/1039306.asp
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

This ranks right at the top of my list for pressing needs.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

I don't even have a dog, but I really thought Delaware Park was building one, on the Amherst Street border.
    Why not? This has come up before and I know there are plenty of people who would like it, and a lot of people who would go there just to watch. So simple a pleasure for people, but Buffalo oficials seem to ignore it.

A few years ago, there was a person in Amherst, who put together a drive to get a dog park in one of the Town's Park's. The difference was that this person enlisted others to raise funds to actually pay for it.

As far as I remember, it worked, and the Town now has a dedicated section just for dogs....at no expense to the Town.

It was a pretty neat grass roots thing that they did. Does anyone know which park it's in? (dangling participle, I know)

PAWPARK

For a mere $100,000 you get naming rights in perpetuity.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

all I have to say about the dogs is that I am OVERJOYED thatt he city FINALLY cracked down on all the damn loose dogs in Delaware Park

It seemed like everytime my fiance and I went for a walk or bike ride over there, some loose dog would run chase us, and when we tried to go play frisbee you always had to watch for some stupid dog who would come over and grab the damn thing and run away

I don't personally like dogs, as you probably noticed (I'm a cat person). But I don;t mind people walking their dogs on LEASHES in the parks. That's cool.

But some guy who is yelling from 1000 yards away while some growling slobbering animal is coming at me is not my idea of a good time

90% of the dogs are just slobbering numbskulls, harmless enough, although annoying as hell

but the other 10% are DANGEROUS. There had been several isntances where I honestly thought we were going to be attacked by soembody's dog until the owner finally came over with the usual "oh, he won't hurt you" BS and physically dragged the dog away

I actually pepper sprayed one once when it chased us down on the bikepath and made my fiance crash her bike into a tree by the soccer field on Delaware ave side of the park

the owner of course was pissed that their poor little pet got hurt, but I when I offered to call in the PD on my cellphone if they wanted to file a report on their UNLEASHED dog getting the spray, they declined

I guess you cna only half blame the dog, since many dog owners are dumb as bricks and abuse their animals...

but I must say, I LOVE seeing ZERO loose dogs in Delaware Park now.... in fact, there are so many fewer that I wonder what type of effort went down there?

the soccer field by the corner of the park right across from Forest Lawn used to eb PACKED with loose dogs running all over, ****ting everywhere, and chasing people who wanted to go for a walk and happened to go NEAr there

I haven't seen ONE all summer on that field, and there are now signs EVERYWHERE saying to keep your dogs OFF the playground and keep them on a LEASH....

but sincw when do people obey signs?

ok, rant over

DOGS SUCK

The truth from a troll is still the truth.

I demand a "Cat park" for my cat
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I demand a reptile park... I pay taxes to you know

moonshine
    It's about time we had a firefly park. Every time I let mine out to play in the yard some zit-faced kid comes along and puts them in a jar.

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    I demand a "Cat park" for my cat
    Yeah, right, steven. Them ingrates would probably cough up a hairball. Oh, how I luv them cats! Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Trolls_r_us
    DOGS SUCK

I'm willing to appear gay-like by showing cute pix of doggies!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Exactly why does the park need money to be a dog park? Plastic bags for poop? maybe a hose that goes to a bowl so the people... errr doggies can drink?

Are they going to fence something off?

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    I'm willing to appear gay-like by showing cute pix of doggies!
    Therising, those puppy pics don't make you appear gay-like at all...

It's the leather pants and Cher impersonations that make you appear gay-like.

I think a dog-park definitely requires a fence. And someone needs to maintain the fence and mow inside.

What else makes up a dog park? (Shade trees on a day like today!)

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    BTW... this one makes me want to run to the pet store NOW.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    A fence can't be $100,000 bucks.

I would see if a fence company would donate the labor to have a advertisment up on the fence for themselves. Then have a few volunteers or a landscaping service do it for an advertisment on the fence. You know like how the little leagues advertise who supports them.

OR better yet. CHARGE a fee to the dog people who want to park and use that for upkeep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information