Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conflict of Interest

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    Whaaaaat? Abstain because kids skate there? Are you for real? So does that mean he can't vote against closing the library, swimming pool, etc because his family uses the facilities? What constitutes use (once, twice, more than five)?
    Family is family. Benefit is benefit. At issue, I believe is if a family member receives benefit, should that benefit cause voting member of family to abstain from voting. Two biggest issues in town currently are/were Burchfield/Americorp and icerink. The parallel is just common sense.
    What constitutes benefit to family member? Money, team play, enjoyment? Open to debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel
    Family is family. Benefit is benefit. At issue, I believe is if a family member receives benefit, should that benefit cause voting member of family to abstain from voting. Two biggest issues in town currently are/were Burchfield/Americorp and icerink. The parallel is just common sense.
    If Wally's kid goes skating he does not get a benefit solely unto himself, his family or close friends, it is gained by all residents of the town. There is no conflict of interest.

If Graber votes to keep Americorps running or votes for wage increase then his wife will personally gain, even though it may affect 10 other people. He has a possible conflict of interest. Therefore, the reason for abstaining.

If you can't see it then you must be one of those "lesser minds".

If Wally's kid goes skating he does not get a benefit solely unto himself, his family or close friends, it is gained by all residents of the town. There is no conflict of interest.
    Probably not for WP. Also, probably not for Graber. But definately for SM.

Probably not for WP. Also, probably not for Graber. But definately for SM.
    If I'm not mistaken SM's husband works for the parks, so voting for the ice rink would be obscure, he would have his job regardless of the ice rink. Now if they had a vote on whether to contract out parks work to a private contractor or the county, I would agree.

What constitutes benefit to family member? Money, team play, enjoyment? Open to debate.
    Well, for someone as connected as you, you sure are lobbying here, aren't you?

If I'm not mistaken SM's husband works for the parks, so voting for the ice rink would be obscure, he would have his job regardless of the ice rink. Now if they had a vote on whether to contract out parks work to a private contractor or the county, I would agree.
    Why would SM want the rink gone. Her husband can been seen relaxing in the office at the ice rink before anyone gets to the rink.

In both cases (Graber, and SM), the family member would still have a job no matter how the vote would go, BUT the difference is in the case of SM, there would be a difference in difficulty, status, and influence the job position might hold. Even the case of WP is more compeling than Graber especially if his hockey playing kids are really good players. The children might be enriched by $$$ in scholarships and contracts, which in turn could/would help him. The conflict would be benefit to town to get out of a money suck vs. scholarship or more.

In any event, this thread was started by an antiAmericorp person looking for an angle to hurt an Americorp supporter, Graber. The just of my reply is the/her ax can swing many ways. Beyond that, WP has been a lawyer in town for many years. Any present/past legal associations should be noted and he should abstain from voting, but will he? Would he even disclose those associations?

You're one to talk, Doc!

In both cases (Graber, and SM), the family member would still have a job no matter how the vote would go, BUT the difference is in the case of SM, there would be a difference in difficulty, status, and influence the job position might hold. Even the case of WP is more compeling than Graber especially if his hockey playing kids are really good players. The children might be enriched by $$$ in scholarships and contracts, which in turn could/would help him. The conflict would be benefit to town to get out of a money suck vs. scholarship or more.

In any event, this thread was started by an antiAmericorp person looking for an angle to hurt an Americorp supporter, Graber. The just of my reply is the/her ax can swing many ways. Beyond that, WP has been a lawyer in town for many years. Any present/past legal associations should be noted and he should abstain from voting, but will he? Would he even disclose those associations?

++++++

Your wife is intimately involved in the Burchfield and by association, Americorps and any entity Mr Lazzaro is a part of. She's a big contributor and given pretty much carte blanche there- but do you think she's given the truth about just about anything that goes on there? No, I doubt it and I think she brings back (to you) those 1/2 truths and erroneous accounts of a mryiad of things that have transpired there, and you regurgitate much of it here. Well, sir, you're a fool to think otherwise and you'll see sometime down the line just how you've been manipulated.

We thank you and "yours" for the many contributions you've made, but you have been used- take that to the bank!

Who's anti-Americorp?

I Take Offense To You, Manuel Saying That I Am Anti-americorp. I Asked A Simple Question About Legality Of A Councilmember Voting And All Of A Sudden I'm Against Americorp. You Need To Take A Long Walk Off A Short Pier, Because You Have Been So Brain Washed Its Not Even Funny. I Don't Think You Have Ever Had One Original Thought Of Your Own. If It Wasn't For Your Wife And Mark Lazzaro Filling Your Head Fullof Ideas, You Wouldn't Have Anything To Say. So Why Don't You Just Disappear, Because You Are A Waste Of Time.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwhite
    I Take Offense To You, Manuel Saying That I Am Anti-americorp. I Asked A Simple Question About Legality Of A Councilmember Voting And All Of A Sudden I'm Against Americorp. You Need To Take A Long Walk Off A Short Pier, Because You Have Been So Brain Washed Its Not Even Funny. So Why Don't You Just Disappear, Because You Are A Waste Of Time.
    Sounds like I got your goat. I am no ones master. I do get information from my wife, but on some, even many issues we actually disagree. I just happen to agree with her on the issues of Americorp, Burchfield, etc. As far as you not being antiAmericorp, sorry if I misjudged, except that your retorical question about voting conflict did not include other possible conflicts within the town board as I have suggested. I was just using the 1+1=2 approach in this thread and your past posts in evaluating your agenda.

With regard to my taking a long walk off a short pier, what is that ditty ROTGLMAO. Disappear? Why not just close your eyes and don't look at what I have written. There might be a feature within the forum software where you can block out my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTymeRevival
    We thank you and "yours" for the many contributions you've made, but you have been used- take that to the bank!
    Thank you and your welcome.
    As far as being used, perhaps. I am sorry for all the anger this park has generated. I have met the new director, and I have been impressed. I think he will be good for the park. His direction is animals, but he is a mature adult, familiar with grant writing, willing to take on the job and will not disappear tomorrow. I think that with a little time, most if not all people's objections can be addressed and mitigated with the present cast of characters.
    Last edited by Niagara; July 13th, 2008 at 10:32 AM.

That's the most civil way I could even approach him! Besides, what I think or say about him has no effect on his actions and that's what needs to be addressed. So don't try and be smug and divert the thread. His actions warrant further review.
    In other words do as I say and not as I do. Gotcha. I believe the word I'm looking for is hypocrite.

No...

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    In other words do as I say and not as I do. Gotcha. I believe the word I'm looking for is hypocrite.

Human, you poor bastard.

Human, you poor bastard.
    The people on the town board are human too, but that didn't keep you from shedding crocodile tears when they were less rude than you were.
    I get it though, you're nothing more than a thin skinned old bitty that looks for reasons to be offended.

Not quite...

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    The people on the town board are human too, but that didn't keep you from shedding crocodile tears when they were less rude than you were.
    I get it though, you're nothing more than a thin skinned old bitty that looks for reasons to be offended.
    ++++

Don't need reasons- people like you provide enough to go around. Now, if you're tired of trying to rattle my cage, go do something positive that elevates society and not continue just being a parasite on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information