Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Collins Shoots and Scores

Collins Shoots and Scores

Collins orders more part-timers hired to save on paid time off...

"Erie County Executive Chris Collins has told his managers to hire “regular part-time” workers over full-timers as much as possible.
    Regular part-time employees work slightly fewer hours in a week, but their paid time off is half that of a full-time, rank-and-file employee.
    Because the so-called RPT works more hours each year, Collins estimates the government can derive a $700,000 annual benefit by filling all jobs that open up with an RPT......

It’s the time-off provisions that are embedded in some of the county’s employment practices that are making us noncompetitive and need to be dealt with,” he said.

Collins says job applicants will still get fine benefits. They can get five days of vacation in each of their first two years, not 10; 7.5 sick days, not 15; a half-hour paid lunch, not an hour; and half the pay when they take a holiday off, not full pay.
    “This is America, and they will make the decision of whether they will take that job or not,” Collins said. “We will be saving the taxpayers money, they will get time off that more closely mirrors the private sector, and it is still a very nice benefits package.”

I love it. I said before the election that plenty of things can be done without massive layoffs. This is just one example. I love the businessman that finds the loophole in the process and USES it to the taxpayers advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    Collins orders more part-timers hired to save on paid time off...

"Erie County Executive Chris Collins has told his managers to hire “regular part-time” workers over full-timers as much as possible.
    Regular part-time employees work slightly fewer hours in a week, but their paid time off is half that of a full-time, rank-and-file employee.
    Because the so-called RPT works more hours each year, Collins estimates the government can derive a $700,000 annual benefit by filling all jobs that open up with an RPT......

It’s the time-off provisions that are embedded in some of the county’s employment practices that are making us noncompetitive and need to be dealt with,” he said.

Collins says job applicants will still get fine benefits. They can get five days of vacation in each of their first two years, not 10; 7.5 sick days, not 15; a half-hour paid lunch, not an hour; and half the pay when they take a holiday off, not full pay.
    “This is America, and they will make the decision of whether they will take that job or not,” Collins said. “We will be saving the taxpayers money, they will get time off that more closely mirrors the private sector, and it is still a very nice benefits package.”

I love it. I said before the election that plenty of things can be done without massive layoffs. This is just one example. I love the businessman that finds the loophole in the process and USES it to the taxpayers advantage.

I told everyone last week this was going to happen--I think its great. It should be interesting to see the union(s) response.
    Peace Out Funky

I'd be interested to see if/how many people turn such a job down...basically full time but without the benefits of a true full time job. Since ostensibly they offer the jobs first to those who score better on the civil service exam, does that mean that we'll get less qualified employees?

I'm not necessarily against this approach...I'm just interested to see the eventual consequences.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    I'd be interested to see if/how many people turn such a job down...basically full time but without the benefits of a true full time job. Since ostensibly they offer the jobs first to those who score better on the civil service exam, does that mean that we'll get less qualified employees?

I'm not necessarily against this approach...I'm just interested to see the eventual consequences.
    This is what I love about it. It allows for people to choose if they want the job or not and the taxpayers benefit.

With an employee working 49 weeks, just the 30 minutes savings on lunch equals 122.5 hours. That is 3 extra weeks of work per employee. For every 17 workers hired under this program, the county has to hire one less worker.

At the end of the day, these jobs are some of the best in town. The benefits and pension are still there and very nice. I doubt they will have any trouble at all filling them.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    This is what I love about it. It allows for people to choose if they want the job or not and the taxpayers benefit.

With an employee working 49 weeks, just the 30 minutes savings on lunch equals 122.5 hours. That is 3 extra weeks of work per employee. For every 17 workers hired under this program, the county has to hire one less worker.

At the end of the day, these jobs are some of the best in town. The benefits and pension are still there and very nice. I doubt they will have any trouble at all filling them.
    I agree. The number of hours in terms of sick and vacation are in line with private sector jobs, as is the pay. The only difference is the healthcare and pension benefits in the public are better and basically guaranteed compared to the private sector. That is what will draw the people these jobs. I mean seriously, how many people use 7.5 sick days in a year anyways, let alone 15?

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    I agree. The number of hours in terms of sick and vacation are in line with private sector jobs, as is the pay. The only difference is the healthcare and pension benefits in the public are better and basically guaranteed compared to the private sector. That is what will draw the people these jobs. I mean seriously, how many people use 7.5 sick days in a year anyways, let alone 15?
    122.5 hours saved on lunch. 60 hours saved on sick time. 40 hours on vacation. That is almost 6 weeks of work saved per employee.

County employees get the sick time because they don't get NYS Disability.
    The pay is not fair when compared to the private sector.

What I find funny is that people complain and complain but 35 years ago they couldn't give these govt. jobs away. Now that the tide has turned, and the private sector has screwed their employees from health care to pensions NOW civil servants are the root of all the problems....Please people get a life.

BUT I do agree with Collin' move--very smart start.
    Peace Out Funky

Great job Chris! Where else can you get a part time job with FULL benefits. Or better yet, where else can you get a full time job with FULL benefits besides a government job. I don't know anyone who has FULL benefits anymore besides government employees. Even UAW members have to pay co-pays.

Keep thinking Chris. Your private sector experience is paying off already! My private employer did this same thing years ago and saved tons of $

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraised
    Keep thinking Chris. Your private sector experience is paying off already! My private employer did this same thing years ago and saved tons of $
    And put the money right in his pocket and gave you squat---more than likely.
    Peace Out Funky

Yes, that is the American Way The price of the company stock went up which compensated me in a round about way. In Erie county's situation, it should cause the price of taxes to go down which will benefit all of us.

Yes, that is the American Way The price of the company stock went up which compensated me in a round about way. In Erie county's situation, it should cause the price of taxes to go down which will benefit all of us.
    If you were compensated fairly then I agree with you, no question. I have no problems with what Collins' is doing...I'm interested to see how the union reacts--they'll be losing money!
    Peace Out Funky

Here's to ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Fog
    And put the money right in his pocket and gave you squat---more than likely.
    Never did it before, but you get some rep for that my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Fog
    If you were compensated fairly then I agree with you, no question. I have no problems with what Collins' is doing...I'm interested to see how the union reacts--they'll be losing money!
    Look for a young child throwing a tantrum and you will see how the unions will react...

Of course, the quality of the employee who would accept "part time" work will be sub par, just like the working conditions.

Try and get a mortgage with "PART TIME" on your application.

Should be a hoot when he offshores the 911 call center
    I made a lot of money and spent most of it on booze, fast cars and loose women. I blew the rest.

Look for a young child throwing a tantrum and you will see how the unions will react...
    From the following that was in the BUF news articile this morning, it sounds like the Unions can't do much nor the county legislature which are good things:

He said he does not need County Legislature approval to start offering vacancies as regular part time, even if they were budgeted at full time.

“The sooner we start this process, the sooner we start saving the taxpayers money,” he said.

Leaders of the white-collar and blue-collar unions, while not crazy about his policy, acknowledged that there is little they can do. Their contracts with Erie County have lapsed, and the terms that continue under New York’s Taylor Law are limited to those spelled out in the most recent pacts.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information