Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Casey

Steve Casey

From the Artvoice. Hoyt has a good point - why is Casey using his public position for purely political games? How is that legal?

News

The Bully's Pulpit
    by Geoff Kelly

Today Judy Einach announced that she was dropping out of the race for the Niagara District Common Council seat being vacated by Nick Bonifacio, who is retiring. Or possibly making himself available for a new job, should Jim Keane become the next county executive. That’s a different story, to be explored in these pages soon enough.

This story is about why Einach dropped out—and, more particularly, how Deputy Mayor Steve Casey, the mayor’s chief political officer, is waging a no-holds-barred war to win a rubberstamp Common Council for the Brown administration. That war is being fought most fiercely in the Niagara District, because Bonifacio represents a swing vote separating administration allies (Bonifacio is generally one of five) and the somewhat independents (of whom there are four).

Einach’s departure leaves Buffalo policeman David Rivera, who won the endorsement of the Niagara District’s Democratic committee, and assistant corporation counsel Peter Savage III, who didn’t, despite the worst efforts of Casey. As reported in the Buffalo Rocket last month, Niagara District committee people who were leaning toward Rivera—the candidate advanced by Assemblyman Sam Hoyt, who has substantial influence in the district and is a rival to Brown in party politics—began to receive less-than-subtle messages, supposedly emanating from the second floor of City Hall, that they should stay away from the committee’s June 7 endorsement meeting. Or, if they insisted on attending, that they had better vote for Savage.

Threats like these are illegal but not unusual in Buffalo politics. They are delivered second or third hand, in somewhat vague language, but in such a way that the recipient knows the threat’s provenance and its consequences. The consequences of backing Rivera? Well, say you’re a committee person in the Niagara District, and you or a relative works for the city—not unlikely, given the city’s patronage structure. Maybe you or that relative will lose an office, or a computer, or a phone. Maybe you’ll both wind up working in the basement. Maybe you’ll lose your job, or your relative’s job will be made so unpleasant she’ll quit.

Jonathan Rivera, who resigned his staff position with Congressman Brian Higgins in order to run his father’s campaign, told Einach about these threats in advance of the June 7 meeting, according to the Rocket. Einach, who had announced her intention to run for the seat, initially had asked her supporters on the committee to abstain. But that evening, when she saw that many Rivera supporters had failed to show up, and that others seemed poised to vote for Savage, she realized that Jonathan Rivera was correct: Hoyt’s committee people had been strong-armed to abandon their candidate. Disgusted, she told her supporters to cast their votes for David Rivera—who thus squeaked by Savage to win the committee’s endorsement, a step toward winning the Democratic primary, which is tantamount to winning the general election.

Casey was said to be furious at the setback. He reportedly tried to apply pressure on Jonathan Rivera, through another staffer in Higgins’ office, to recant the story the Rocket had reported. Jonathan Rivera refused. Casey began spreading stories about Einach, according to sources in City Hall, suggesting that Einach had made a deal with Sam Hoyt: that he had promised her a job, which would be illegal, and that she was a political pawn and not the independent voice she portrayed herself to be.

To suggest Einach is in Hoyt’s pocket is absurd. In a conversation with Artvoice a week after that June 7 meeting, Hoyt was reluctant to give Einach any credit for Rivera’s close win over Savage. But he was quick to light into Brown for allowing Casey to run a rough-and-tumble political operation out of the mayor’s office. Hoyt described Casey as a first-rate political operative. “But he has no business holding a position in government,” Hoyt said.

That position gives Casey incredible leverage to achieve his political ends. And, for his part, Casey seems to believe that a rubberstamp Common Council is good government. “This is about governing for this administration,” Casey told Robert McCarthy of the Buffalo News back in June. “We need folks in place to help us achieve our ultimate goals.”

Hooray for checks and balances.

Einach says that Casey has gone far past rumor-mongering. “Messages have been delivered to me through friends of mine, with Casey’s name on them,” she told Artvoice in an interview last week. “The administration figures out someone who knows me, and whom I trust, who calls me and says, ‘This is what Casey said.’ They’ve contacted businesses with which I have relationships and they’ve threatened those businesses in some way. They’ve threatened other friends of mine with serious actions that are highly illegal.”

Einach did not elaborate on the nature of the threats to herself, her friends and their businesses, but Bryon McIntyre, a Buffalo firefighter who’s running against the Ellicott District incumbent, Brian Davis, offered a few examples. McIntyre left a stack of fliers in Destini’s, a pizzeria on Main Street near Allen, which was spotted by a staffer in Davis’s office. The staffer said that if the restaurant kept the fliers, a grant the owner had applied for would be denied. The owner removed the fliers, still has not received the grant and Davis’s campaign office has opened across the street. Meanwhile, McIntyre’s campaign office at 397 Jefferson Avenue was burglarized on July 3. The suspected burglar—identified in the police report as a “local winehead”—bypassed the alcohol in the refrigerator, instead stealing an ancient, mammoth, black-and-white TV (“The dust on that thing was 12 years old,” McIntyre said) and a three-CD changer.

Oh, yes—and a manila envelope filled with signed petitions, some for McIntyre and some for other politicians running against the Casey-Brown machine.

McIntyre said that one Thursday night not long ago he sat next to Brown while the mayor was watching his son play basketball. The mayor asked McIntyre how he was doing, and McIntyre replied that he was fine, except that he’d just announced his candidacy for the Ellicott District seat and he’d had the tires on all four of his vehicles slashed overnight. During his life in politics, McIntyre explained, he’d had his car tires slashed several times, including when he ran for the city’s school board. He described it as “a message,” as “the price of doing business.” Einach said that her tires were slashed during her run for mayor in 2005. She said friends had told her to expect that sort of thing: “They told me they’d do anything except kill you,” she remembered.

“[Brown] told me, ‘Yeah, they used to do us like that too when we started,” McIntyre recalled. “I said, ‘So that makes it right?’”

Davis, McIntyre’s opponent, has the support of the Brown administration. So powerful is the pressure to elect administration-friendly councilmembers that McIntyre’s own union, IAFF Local 282, has endorsed Davis. It’s the first time the firefighters union has ever endorsed a non-member over a member.

The fight for the Common Council has extended to the Delaware District, as well, where incumbent Mike LoCurto—formerly Hoyt’s chief of staff—is facing a Casey/Brown-sponsored primary challenge by Jennifer Maglietto. Maglietto works in the administration’s CitiStat office. City Hall employees have been circulating her petitions. As this newspaper was readying to go to print, a press release for Maglietto’s campaign arrived by email; it came from the private email account of Melanie Gregg, who works for the city’s Office of Strategic Planning and whose emails are more often titled “News from Mayor Brown.”

City Hall employees who work on campaigns are ostensibly volunteers—and maybe that’s what Gregg is—but most are more aptly described hostages. They work for whomever their bosses in the administration tell them to support.

“I’ve had City Hall employees come up and apologize to me for carrying my opponent’s petitions,” LoCurto told Artvoice. “They tell me they have no choice, they have to do it.”

Einach said that City Hall insiders are circulating Savage’s petitions, too. They’ll approach other city employees and ask them to sign; if they hesitate, she explained, “They’ll say, ‘How’s the job going?’ or something like that.” The implied threat is clear. Einach said her supporters told her that Savage’s campaign workers were on the streets circulating petitions two days before they were legally allowed to do so. McIntyre said that sort of cheating is typical. But, he said, what are you going to do? The deputy commissioner who hears petition challenges at the Erie County Board of Elections is Alonzo Thompson, a close ally of Byron Brown.

“How can you trust the petition process when the guy your petitions have to go through is the president of Grassroots?” McIntyre said. “This is a dinosaur democracy. It’s one of the last old machines.”

In the press release explaining her withdrawal from the race, Einach wrote,

The wonderful and awful thing about running for public office is that as a candidate I have gotten a clearer picture of local government…

What I see is despicable…

The language of threats against me during this race has been violent…They have come with Steve Casey’s name as the sender…

I have seen enough to know that I want to make sure the Primary votes in the Niagara District do not split in such a way that Peter Savage III, the candidate supported by the Casey-Brown administration, secures the Democratic line in the General Election. Since it is unrealistic to expect the endorsed candidate, David Rivera, to withdraw, I am bowing out.

That is a sad story indeed—and we’re only on chapter one. Tune in next week, when the saga continues.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    City Hall employees who work on campaigns are ostensibly volunteers—and maybe that’s what Gregg is—but most are more aptly described hostages. They work for whomever their bosses in the administration tell them to support.

“I’ve had City Hall employees come up and apologize to me for carrying my opponent’s petitions,” LoCurto told Artvoice. “They tell me they have no choice, they have to do it.”

Einach said that City Hall insiders are circulating Savage’s petitions, too. They’ll approach other city employees and ask them to sign; if they hesitate, she explained, “They’ll say, ‘How’s the job going?’ or something like that.” The implied threat is clear. Einach said her supporters told her that Savage’s campaign workers were on the streets circulating petitions two days before they were legally allowed to do so. McIntyre said that sort of cheating is typical. But, he said, what are you going to do? The deputy commissioner who hears petition challenges at the Erie County Board of Elections is Alonzo Thompson, a close ally of Byron Brown.

So CityMouse....

Does this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    So CityMouse....

Does this happen?
    I would like to say no. However......
    I think that Einach and LoCurto are embellishing a little. I would be hard pressed to belive that city workers are doing petitions on city time or on city property. It's illegal and risky for the candidates involved. It would also generate some publicity that the candidate they are petioning for would not want.
    "Volunteers" apologizing to him for doing work for his opponents is probably true. But that is more for his benefit than thier's. If they have a political job and are in a political club that supports the Mayor, and that club is supporting Savage than of course it would be in their best interest to support Savage. That's politics. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. The threats that they are insinuating (How's the job?) are probably not that blatant.
    This goes back to what I always say about public sector unions and civil service jobs. They are there to keep politics out of the workforce. If you took a test and got hired off the list they can't mess with you and you don't have to campaign for anyone. If they try to the union is there to protect you.
    It seems things are a little more political in city hall these days. Griffin was attacked the most for his patronage ways back in the day but that was because he was a political outsider who bucked the party and went his own way and the established democrats like Crangle had the Media's ear and made him a target. He was the least political of the bunch.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse
    If they have a political job and are in a political club that supports the Mayor, and that club is supporting Savage than of course it would be in their best interest to support Savage. That's politics.
    And that satisfies you, WNYResident? This stuff is ridiculous, we're talking about the man who installed the Casey Cam.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    To a point is has. Citymouse has been rather up front to questions like that. Remember though he works in one department not all.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    To a point is has. Citymouse has been rather up front to questions like that. Remember though he works in one department not all.
    Quite right. The rank and file in the streets department are probably the least political guys in the city. We are not at the top of the pay scale, on average, and we are out of city hall, on the street and at Broadway. Nintey-nine percent of our guys aren't involved in politics, or haven't been in years. We are all civil service and don't have to kiss ass to keep our jobs.
    Unfortunatley its not like that every where. Particularly in city hall where the administration people see everybody everyday. But still, there are a lot of legal implications for putting political pressure on employees.
    But I don't doubt it happens. How much? I don't know.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Savage does not even live in Buffalo. Take a look at 207 West Ferry, his alleged home. Yes, he has his name on the deed, but 1/2 a block from the constantly-robbed McDonald's? In the middle of a drug and crime ridden area?? A "City attorney"? Come on.

Where do you really live, Petey Boy?

Unregistered

207 W Ferry Savage's parent's home

Does anybody know where Niagara District candidate Peter Savage III (?) does now live?

His parents have long lived at 207 W Ferry on a struggling block, his father Peter a longtime Masiello ally (& mayoral aide). Peter's father (Peter II?) is one of very few "WS Perla machine" guys still to actually live on the WS.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch
    Does anybody know where Niagara District candidate Peter Savage III (?) does now live?

His parents have long lived at 207 W Ferry on a struggling block, his father Peter a longtime Masiello ally (& mayoral aide). Peter's father (Peter II?) is one of very few "WS Perla machine" guys still to actually live on the WS.

Peter J. Savage Born FEB. 1952
    113 Lafayette Ave. (Near Barton Street)
    Buffalo, NY 14213

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA

Peter J. Savage Born FEB. 1952
    113 Lafayette Ave. (Near Barton Street)
    Buffalo, NY 14213
    Thats not the Pete Savage running for the council....hes definitely NOT 55 years old...hes probably 35 years old if that....and still lives with his parents (if he even lives in Buffalo, let alone the west side)

Unregistered

Where does WSNHS President Savage live?

Indeed, candidate Peter Savage is under 35 years of age.

It is important to verify where he lives. He has been ("resident") president of the highly politicized West Side Neighborhood Housing Service.

Is he still WSNHS president? Is it ethical for a council candidate to preside over a longtime controversial WS agency, which has been incredibly unproductive as the WS has fallen into steep decline?

WSNHS will never answer a question I pose because I have repeatedly exposed shocking 'housing malpractice' by the agency.

Dick Kern

COPY: http://nfs.nw.org/report/nworeport_p...spx?orgid=8133

Board of Directors Name Board Role/Title Sector Company/Organization Job Title
    Margaret Alfano Board Member Resident
    Louis DiPasquale Board Member Resident
    Scott Dunlop Board Member Resident Tops Markets
    Robert Franke Board Member Resident
    Harvey Garrett Board Member Resident
    Robin Johnson Board Member Business Vilardo Printing
    Ramon Morales Board Member At Large Financial Institution Greater Buffalo Savings Bank
    Katherine Orlando Board Member Resident
    Michael Pierro Board Vice Chair Business Mineo & Sapio Meats
    Jonathan Rivera Board Member Resident
    Peter J Savage, III Board Chair Resident
    Kelly Scarsella Board Member Business HSBC Bank
    Stephen Scello Board Treasurer; Board Member At Large Financial Institution Citizens Bank
    Joseph Tauriello Board Member Resident
    Joseph Tomasulo Board Member Local Government Division of Neighborhoods

West Side Neighborhood Housing Services, Inc.

Street Address:
    359 Connecticut St.
    Buffalo, NY 14213

Phone: 716-885-2344
    Fax: 716-885-2346

Linda Chiarenza, Executive Director

Contact Name: Linda Chiarenza
    Phone: 716-885-2344x15
    Fax: 716-885-2346
    Email: lchiarenza@wsnhs.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff Size: Full Time: 6 Part Time: 2

Background
    Founded in 1980 to stop the decline of the West Side of Buffalo, New York, and to rebuild housing stock and promote reinvestment in the neighborhood. Primary objective is to promote home ownership by offering homebuyer education, and lending the money needed for the down payments and closing costs. Loans for the rehabilitation of homes in the service area are also offered, and the NHS has implemented programs for Foreclosure Prevention, Landlord/Tenant Mediation, and Post Purchase Classes. On a smaller scale, the NHS has re-instituted a minor home repair program and a home security program. In 2006, the NHS started a program to attract middle to upper income families into the area by offering an interest buy down program with a local bank. They also partnered with a local private college to implement an emloyer assisted program to encourage homeownerhsip around the institution.
    Mission
    West Side Neighborhood Housing Services, Inc. is a private, non-profit corporation dedicated to the preservation and revitalization of Buffalo's west side neighborhoods. Established in 1980, West Side NHS is a partnership of area residents, businesspersons and government officials. Involved in identifying and solving neighborhood housing problems, West Side NHS provides safe and affordable housing for low to low-moderate income families.
    Total Operating Expense (8/31/2005): $580,830

Peter Savage just moved into a rental with his fiance (don't think it's his wife yet) on Livingston St, a house or two away from Lafayette.

My son could throw a ball from my house to his (with a few good bounces, that is).
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantico
    Thats not the Pete Savage running for the council....hes definitely NOT 55 years old...hes probably 35 years old if that....and still lives with his parents (if he even lives in Buffalo, let alone the west side)
    This must be the father then because he also came back with an address of 207 West ferry.

I'm curious: 3 of you didn't know where he lives. (glad I could clear that up for you, by the way....). Why did you all find your lack of knowledge so worthy of indicting Savage? Are you just looking for any reason to bash him?
    Or are you....(see below)?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Of course this is politics as usual, and if you're at a city position that Mayor Casey could have any influence over or not, it's best to support them, as any political anyone would look favorably on that.
    The difference with Casey and the Brown machine is how vindictive they are. There's a heavy climate of fear coming out of the Mayor's office, and it's just intolerable.
    Because if you even go out on a limb, and support an opposition candidate, everything you can loose you'll begin loosing.
    Look at the people who were attacked for supporting David Rivera in the Niagara race, before he bought into the Brown machine? The attacks were brutal, and vicious, and now David's on the mayor's side, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information