Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grain Elevators

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    Sadly, yes. The funny thing is that I am NOT one of those "every old building should be saved" people. I don't know if the Greystone is worthy of being rehabbed, from an historical perspective. Apparently, it is on a register of historic buildings, however, and has been on it for a while, so more knowledgeable people than me think it's worth preserving. If you don't want to reno an historic building within the parameters of the register/historic district regulations, then don't buy it.

BTW, I also don't "hate" Carl Paladino; I just happen to view his actions critically, which obviously upsets some of his worshippers who regard him as a combination of Jesus Christ and George Washington.
    Get ready for the next perservation battle- the owner of a grain elevator on Ganson Street has applied to demo half the complex. Preservation Board hearing on Thursday.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why would anyone argue to save a grain elevator?

Are they tourist destinations?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

Are they tourist destinations?

Because that is what they do!

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Probably because some preservationist has neat memories from being a kid, and driving past the grain elevators with his dad. It makes him feel all squishy inside when he sees the elevators, and he doesn't want someone else to take away those nice memories.

Because some developer is some other city turned a grain elevator into a hotel.

I can't think of a single logical reason why they need to be preserved.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Seriously... why?

I wrote this on the original thread:

I don't know what to do about/with the grain elevators. They are eerily beautiful in a stark/industrial/surrealistic way -- especially when you wander through the "canyon" of them -- but their configuration really makes them virtually impossible to reuse as something other than grain elevators (or storage for some similar material).
    I happen to find the grain elevators hauntingly beautiful. I don't know why. Maybe it's their proximity to water. Maybe it's their place in Buffalo's history. Maybe it's the whole collection of them so close together: one grain elevator isn't as awe-inspiring as seeing three or four all close together. Did you know they form a "canyon" on part of the Buffalo River where the elevators line both sides of the river?

Boy, the people on BRO up in arms!

blo
    December 13, 2010 12:59 PM
    blo

Hell NO.
    Biggie
    December 13, 2010 1:02 PM
    Biggie

This sounds like a no-brainer fight to our death situation. I will file the lawsuit, if needed, although I am sure the line will be long and deep.
    Matthew.Ricchiazzi
    December 13, 2010 1:10 PM
    Matthew.Ricchiazzi

This is absurd, and this demo must be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Damn Lefties!

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastPerspective View Post
    Damn Lefties!
    I don't buy it, cause I'm a lefty myself. And, I disagree 100% with the above quotes.

Anyway....the grain elevator is owned by Ontario Specialty Contracting.

First question is, does anyone know what kind of company they are?
    Second question is, once you know the answer to the first question, you're still surprised that they want to demo it?

I don't buy it, cause I'm a lefty myself. And, I disagree 100% with the above quotes.

Anyway....the grain elevator is owned by Ontario Specialty Contracting.

First question is, does anyone know what kind of company they are?
    Second question is, once you know the answer to the first question, you're still surprised that they want to demo it?
    Of course. This is their bread and butter- buying industrial complexes and harvesting anything that can be scrapped and sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    I happen to find the grain elevators hauntingly beautiful. I don't know why. Maybe it's their proximity to water. Maybe it's their place in Buffalo's history. Maybe it's the whole collection of them so close together: one grain elevator isn't as awe-inspiring as seeing three or four all close together. Did you know they form a "canyon" on part of the Buffalo River where the elevators line both sides of the river?
    The cluster is the crux.

If it was just one elevator, redevelopment would be much easier IMO. You could create a project and find some financing. However, with so many, it really is an all or nothing. No developer is going to sink the money needed into one, when the view of the others is so poor.

On the flip side, if you were to demo all but one, that single structure becomes insignificant in the big picture. It is no longer an awe-inspiring alley but just a really big rusty building.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    The cluster is the crux.

If it was just one elevator, redevelopment would be much easier IMO. You could create a project and find some financing. However, with so many, it really is an all or nothing. No developer is going to sink the money needed into one, when the view of the others is so poor.

On the flip side, if you were to demo all but one, that single structure becomes insignificant in the big picture. It is no longer an awe-inspiring alley but just a really big rusty building.
    Serious question here, that I don't know the answer to....How many of those awe-inspiring elevators in the alley are occupied?
    I don't mean an exact answer, but roughly - half occupied? Most of them occupied?

And, what the heck are they doing in there? Are they still used as grain elevators?

PS Good to see you back, WCP.
    Last edited by therising; December 13th, 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    The cluster is the crux.

Exactly. As WCP noted, a big obstacle is the neighborhood(s) they're located in. The First Ward is not a exactly prime redevelopment area. It's essentially old industrial sites and architecturally nondescript (ie, cheap and ugly) houses, so it's not going to invite gentrification like Allentown or the West Village.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    All three people

Serious question here, that I don't know the answer to....How many of those awe-inspiring elevators in the alley are occupied?
    I don't mean an exact answer, but roughly - half occupied? Most of them occupied?

And, what the heck are they doing in there? Are they still used as grain elevators?

PS Good to see you back here, WCP.
    I think more than half are used. The South End Marina elevator, the one across from HSBC Arena and the Great Northern are the biggies not in use.

Image from: Michael Cook.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information