Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raising Chickens in COB

Raising Chickens in COB

Just for the hell of it I was looking up the laws regarding raising chickens in the city of Buffalo. I have been toying with the idea of getting some chickens.

Anyway you are only allowed 5 chickens, ok I can understand if you live in close quarters to another person but come on now a dozen chickens really won't reap havcok on the neighborhood. I can understand noise BUT you can get chickens that don't make much noise.

You can't own roosters, which again to some degree is reasonable, but say I wanted to buy like 5 vacant houses and have a little farm, I should be able to have a rooster and 2 dozen chickens.

Also what I find irrating is that if I can't use my chickens for commercial use. I wonder if that includes bartering. I would so barter eggs for like say a haircut or something, does that count as commercial use?

But I should be able to raise chickens and sell eggs if I had the room for it. Buffalo is freaking ridiculous. There are whole streets on the east side vacant, yet if I had the money to buy out a street or two and start raising chickens (pretend I won the lotto) for commercial use, I can't.

People are moving out of the city, might as well use the land that nobody else is for whatever it can be used for, right?

http://www.backyardchickens.com/laws...actions=search
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

How do you want the code written? On a case-by-case basis? I think 5 chickens for an urban setting is quite reasonable.

Have you ever heard of the feral chicken problem there is in Miami?

If you don't like gay marriage blame straight people. They're the ones who keep having gay babies.

I wasn't aware of miami's chicken problem.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Monique Watts had quite the time getting the chicken law semi reversed. I say semi because it excluded roosters. As a rural resident, I can tell you that roosters are a little more than annoying. The family who's property is behind me has chickens. Currently there are 2 roosters and 5 hens. The roosters start crowing @ 4:30am and don't stop all day. They also fight quite a bite with each other.
    I have considered getting a couple of hens, but haven't decided yet. It's a little late. Would have been better to get them bout a month ago.
    Here's a link from Buffalo Rising about Monique's court case:
    http://www.buffalorising.com/2009/07...l#SlideFrame_0

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So if someone had 5 hens how many eggs could one get? Specially if you fed them well?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So if someone had 5 hens how many eggs could one get? Specially if you fed them well?
    It's not an exact science. Fedding them "well" has very little to do with it. The type of feed is important to the health of the chicken and the amount of nutrients in the egg. Hens laying cycle is daylight dependent. The longer the hours of daylight, the more likely you are to have a daily egg. Egg farms use daylight corrective lights on timers to achieve this. Most non commercial farmers will harvest the chickens in the fall. They start over in the spring, maybe leaving one or two over winter. Most hobbiest's will have the chickens like pets and get 1-2 eggs a week during winter months.

The building restrictions, inspection requirements, and annual fees essentially wipe-out any $$ reason for keeping chickens in Buffalo. I'd like to have 3 hens in my yard, but after all the bureaucratic BS, it would be cheaper to buy eggs from people in the country who keep their chickens "organically".

Meanwhile, it's okay for my "neighbors" to have 2-3-4 fleabitten dogs in their yards, barking constantly, drawing rats to their food, and crapping at will.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayingKoi View Post
    It's not an exact science. Fedding them "well" has very little to do with it. The type of feed is important to the health of the chicken and the amount of nutrients in the egg. Hens laying cycle is daylight dependent. The longer the hours of daylight, the more likely you are to have a daily egg. Egg farms use daylight corrective lights on timers to achieve this. Most non commercial farmers will harvest the chickens in the fall. They start over in the spring, maybe leaving one or two over winter. Most hobbiest's will have the chickens like pets and get 1-2 eggs a week during winter months.
    People who keep chickens as pets do they have the chickens in the house in the winter or do they use a heated barn? I always wondered about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edisonic View Post
    The building restrictions, inspection requirements, and annual fees essentially wipe-out any $$ reason for keeping chickens in Buffalo. I'd like to have 3 hens in my yard, but after all the bureaucratic BS, it would be cheaper to buy eggs from people in the country who keep their chickens "organically".

Meanwhile, it's okay for my "neighbors" to have 2-3-4 fleabitten dogs in their yards, barking constantly, drawing rats to their food, and crapping at will.
    Uhh I know.. we had a neighbor who has moved, but last summer they had 4 pitts that were always outside and barking. They had the food and water dish outside. Then another neighbor lets their cats roam around aimlessly and then her son last summer went into my yard (with out letting me know before hand) to get their cat. The kid trampled threw my mini garden to get the cat.

The unsupervised children and cats are more annoying than chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    People who keep chickens as pets do they have the chickens in the house in the winter or do they use a heated barn? I always wondered about that.
    Could be both. From what I am told, "heated" isn't exactly neccessary, moreover very well insulated. I have a copy of either Hobby Farm or Mother Earth News that talks about keeping chickens in the house. When I find it, I will PM you the info.
    BTW: I hear that cat litter buckets make excellent nesting boxes. People turn them on the side and fill with straw. Easy to clean and you can find them in recycling bins all the time.

My bro-in-law has about 500 chickens in rural PA. When I told him about Buffalo's 5 chicken limit, he said that would be pretty good for a family of 2-3, b/c chickens lay about one egg a day. He doesn't use any artificial lighting, he says he is very nice to his chickens, petting each one as he takes away the egg.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder if I can have a chicken or three in Cheektowaga. I got room. Chickens ain't that big. I wonder if they make a chicken success kit like they do for Tomato plants.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayingKoi View Post
    Could be both. From what I am told, "heated" isn't exactly neccessary, moreover very well insulated. I have a copy of either Hobby Farm or Mother Earth News that talks about keeping chickens in the house. When I find it, I will PM you the info.
    BTW: I hear that cat litter buckets make excellent nesting boxes. People turn them on the side and fill with straw. Easy to clean and you can find them in recycling bins all the time.
    There is this awesome web site that tells you everything about backyard chickens. That's where I found out about the laws in Buffalo, my husband and I were thinking in a few years we may get a few, but it sucks we can't get more than five if we tried it and it worked out I would definently want a dozen.

I wonder if I can have a chicken or three in Cheektowaga. I got room. Chickens ain't that big. I wonder if they make a chicken success kit like they do for Tomato plants.
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/

this site has good info.. They don't have cheektowage listed but I think they only list cities.

The chicken law is one of the the most ridiculous laws on the books. You pay $25 to raise 5 chicken.

I go to Tops and I buy them already cooked for $4.99. I throw them in my sauce or soup or make sandwiches.

I raised all types of farm animals when i was young. They crap all the time.

What type of chicken are you raising? There are so many varieties..Some get fatter than others, some laid more eggs..

What are you going to do in the winter? Put them in your basement? Have a heated cage? If they get sick are you going to take them to the vet?.. and they all get sick at the same time by the way... I would feed them bits of corn.

Now if you want fresh meat. Then you go to Springville and buy them. You break their necks by twisting it. You boil hot water to help loosen the feathers to pluck them. Then you have to clean them of their intestines.
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information