Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: penalty for not having prescription bottle

penalty for not having prescription bottle

Does anyone know what the fine is for having a prescription pill in your possession without the prescription bottle.A friend of mine was taking a rest in her car (pretty sick girl) in southtowns and a police man stopped to see if she ok. He asked her to empty her pockets and found a couple prescription pills she got from Roswell. She told him so but he arrested her for not having them in prescription bottle. This is her first time with any problems with the police. This girl was on her deathbed less than a yr ago and still under treatmant by roswell. Police could care the least.Does anyone know what the fine might be and should she get a lawyer? I am so afraid this girl may end up in jail and miss her treatments. I want to help her but dont know what to do. She called a lawyer and he told her 1500 dollars up front just to talk to him. Due to her illness she is not working yet and has no money. She was actually dog sitting for a friend in southtown and on her way home. Any advice would be very helpful.

Even if the prescription in legitimate, the police can charge you and hold you until they verify it's your prescription. Most won't. My wife keeps a number of prescription medications in a pill organizer, but carries the papers from the pharmacy with her. That way, she has proof they're hers without carrying a myriad of brown bottles with her, and without announcing to the whole world what she's taking.

As long as your friend can produce the pharmacy paperwork and/or a note from the prescribing physician, the public defender should be more than adequate.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Were they controlled substances? Narcotics? Regular prescription drugs out of the bottle shouldn't get you a charge under the NYPL. I know we don't care at the border unless they are scheduled drugs.

EDIT: Looked it up, all the crimes involve controlled substances, marijuana or hallucinogens, scheduled drugs. Nothing about regulated (prescription required), non-narcotic drugs.

SEC 220.00 NYPL
    5. "Controlled substance" means any substance listed in schedule I,
    II, III, IV or V of section thirty-three hundred six of the public
    health law other than marihuana, but including concentrated cannabis as
    defined in paragraph (a) of subdivision four of section thirty-three
    hundred two of such law.
    6. "Marihuana" means "marihuana" or "concentrated cannabis" as those
    terms are defined in section thirty-three hundred two of the public
    health law.
    7. "Narcotic drug" means any controlled substance listed in schedule
    I(b), I(c), II(b) or II(c) other than methadone.
    8. "Narcotic preparation" means any controlled substance listed in
    schedule III(d) or III(e).
    9. "Hallucinogen" means any controlled substance listed in schedule
    I(d) (5), (18), (19), (20), (21) and (22).
    10. "Hallucinogenic substance" means any controlled substance listed
    in schedule I(d) other than concentrated cannabis, lysergic acid
    diethylamide, or an hallucinogen.
    11. "Stimulant" means any controlled substance listed in schedule
    I(f),II(d).
    12. "Dangerous depressant" means any controlled substance listed in
    schedule I(e)(2), (3), II(e), III(c)(3) or IV(c)(2), (31), (32), (40).
    13. "Depressant" means any controlled substance listed in schedule
    IV(c) except (c)(2), (31), (32), (40).

b.b.
    Last edited by BorderBob; December 30th, 2011 at 12:32 AM.

What exactly was she charged with?

If she was so sick that she had to "take a rest in her car", why was she driving? You have to be alert and aware to drive a motor vehicle, and it seems that maybe she wasn't. Moreover, many medications, especially narcotic painkillers, come with specific instructions not to drive while using them.

I think the fact that your friend was apparently the driver of a vehicle rather than that she had pills without paperwork on her is what has gotten her into trouble. Cops regularly run into dopeheads behind the wheel who claim the pills in their little bags are "prescriptions", so they're going to be suspicious.

The order to empty her pockets or search her bag may have violated the Fourth and Fifth. Again, exactly what was the charge against her? She might be able to get the charges dismissed and she may also have a section 1982 claim for damages. InWNY most section 1982 claims that are valid settle for between $10,000 and $150,000.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    InWNY most section 1982 claims that are valid settle for between $10,000 and $150,000.
    Wow!
    Another chance to win the taxpayer funded lawsuit lottery!
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

I believe one of the pills was for pain so most likely a narcotic, other pills for her autoimmune disease.Charged with presc pills not in presc container.I agree maybe she should not have been driving but she had the smarts to pull over and rest for a while.This was her mistake. She thought she was doing right and gets arrested. Thanks for the replys, Border Bob thanks for that info but does that mean she is automatically guilty if a pain med was with her ? Would anyone happen to know how much will be the fine if the judge has to follow the law regardless of the circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by fp2206 View Post
    I believe one of the pills was for pain so most likely a narcotic, other pills for her autoimmune disease.Charged with presc pills not in presc container.I agree maybe she should not have been driving but she had the smarts to pull over and rest for a while.This was her mistake. She thought she was doing right and gets arrested. Thanks for the replys, Border Bob thanks for that info but does that mean she is automatically guilty if a pain med was with her ? Would anyone happen to know how much will be the fine if the judge has to follow the law regardless of the circumstances?
    What was the exact charge? What provision of law was she charged with violating?

Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEDNY View Post
    Wow!
    Another chance to win the taxpayer funded lawsuit lottery!
    That's what happens when public employees use their public positions to violate the constitution. Would you rather that injured citizens have no recourse?

Since we are speculating...

Asleep in her car? Keys in the ignition? Time of day or location. Probably not a great leap to articulate getting into a purse. Or he could have asked...

b.b.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    Since we are speculating...

Asleep in her car? Keys in the ignition? Time of day or location. Probably not a great leap to articulate getting into a purse. Or he could have asked...

b.b.
    Bob? Do you have you own box of this in your office?

plant sprouting

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Bob? Do you have you own box of this in your office?

plant sprouting
    I usually keep a few pair in my pocket, why?

Better ones too. :-)

b.b.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Thought it was funny. We use those to handle prints and when I'm cleaning print heads on the large format printer. One time I stained my hands blue for like a week. The gloves prevent that.

All charges were dropped due to being all prescription drugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information