Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast

Thread: School Board Candidates Blog

Never attacked you, you wrote that we didn't know what the moms have done or not for their child. If a mom is at the meeting for their child, I would assume they do not just sit there as questions of the parents are always asked. I am always glad to help a parent with advocacy issues.....always.

Oh, the comment about - that I must think the Parent's are slacking was a positive statement and not one to make me look bad? Ok thanks for the clarification, sorry I assumed that was a negative attack on me.

Glad to hear you are always willing to help and again we cant assume anything because we don't walk in others shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by mom3boys View Post
    Oh, the comment about - that I must think the Parent's are slacking was a positive statement and not one to make me look bad? Ok thanks for the clarification, sorry I assumed that was a negative attack on me.

Glad to hear you are always willing to help and again we cant assume anything because we don't walk in others shoes.
    Never did I say that "you must think" .....I said it appears that you are assuming....

Why would you think I need to make you look bad? Not my intention and not attacking you on any of the posts.

School Board Candidates

As I'm re-reading this "special needs" issue...maybe the question is to start from Square One and ask if the child is in the Special Ed program now or is the child just beginning the process of being evaluated? That initial evaluation process can definately be very frustrating and confusing, I agree. The mom should definately reach out to Cath's invitation to call and get some guidance from someone who's "been there, done that."

the one point everyone is missing is this came from Haxton. That alone tells me it's either not true or misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by cath829 View Post
    Not according to some moms I spoke to recently. They are having a hard time getting services for their children in Lackawanna. I personally never had a problem because I told them what my daughter needed and what I wanted for her. Parents just need to be vocal... They have the final say!!!
    Did you miss this post or conveniently avoided it? Always the blame game on Andrea with you. Quit harrassing her already.

Quote Originally Posted by cath829 View Post
    You can have the moms contact me or if they want legal help... I know a great Specail Ed lawyer that makes schools cringe!
    And that was the second time I spoke about earlier when you asked for my help. The first was the playground and yes, I was doing my job to help your child....second was after I left my position and you needed advice. I suggested that you get in touch with a certain Sp. Ed. attorney and just mentioning his name in the district got immediate action. The "Benjamin P" case cost the district lots of $$$$$ and scrutiny for years after so this attorney is a powerful force to keep the district on their toes!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by lackawanna #1 View Post
    Make somemore lies up Andrea, the fact is people with children of special needs are moving to this district because of the services that they can recieve here, did you ever hear of the Ben P case?

Lord we do need you , but Andrea gotta go!
    Well I would say that both of you are correct. Lackawanna has a good special education program BUT there are far too many kids identified needing special help. Again, the teachers really need more staff development to learn how to teach all kids differently. It's a very easy thing when a kid does not fit in for any number of reasons that often requires more work on the teacher's part....to have that child reviewed for classification in special education and then removed from the regular class and put into the sp. ed. track. Teachers like "regular" kids...anyone misbehaving or not getting the learning holding back the others in the class means the kid has to be somewhere else. So the process for special education classification begins....

That is why Lackwanna needs an alternative school. This is NOT a school/place for "bad" kids- it is meant to be a site to deliever the same education to a smaller group in a different way. It does not have to be permanent. Sometimes a kid just needs help for a year or two and sometimes they may need it for several years. Whatever the kid needs- the school should be prepared to service those needs.

Those kids who had been through the special education process and are in the system receieving services, are generally satisfied. The problem is the school does not develop its program around what a student needs, rather expects students to fit in to what they offer-------WRONG! People get comfortable and don't like having to learn new things--- teachers too need to be pushed!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
    As I'm re-reading this "special needs" issue...maybe the question is to start from Square One and ask if the child is in the Special Ed program now or is the child just beginning the process of being evaluated? That initial evaluation process can definately be very frustrating and confusing, I agree. The mom should definately reach out to Cath's invitation to call and get some guidance from someone who's "been there, done that."
    The district special education office gives parents their "bill of rights" in lliterature form explaining all of the terms and the whole process. They really have to read the packet of information that they are given. The University of Buffalo Law program offers free advocacy for any parent needing support, advice and a "partner" to attend school district meetings. There are lots of resources available before someone should give up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by gibbsgal View Post
    Did you miss this post or conveniently avoided it? Always the blame game on Andrea with you. Quit harrassing her already.
    I remember some rumors you posted. You're a coward. Can't wait for Dave to find out your identity. If Andrea doesn't want someone questioning her, don't post. You don't live here, so who cares what you say.

Obviously you do! I posted what I heard while visiting Lackawanna one afternoon. You are a real clown what is Dave gonna do? If you remember anything, I said numerous times that I once lived in your dump of a city and I still have family there so I can say what I hear is happening and with who. Your stupidity hurts my family. Threatening me?
    Last edited by gibbsgal; May 22nd, 2010 at 04:03 PM.

40 140900 141.44-1-14 297 RIDGE RD BORRERO EDWIN
    2006 2,154.13
    2007 2,495.22
    2008 2,543.22
    2009 1,382.36

TOTAL: 8,574.93

Its not just one year! not $225 either! I guess your calling everyone on the list a deadbeat also, havent you learned yet!
    *******....If you talk about one and you are one it makes you no better than them. Yes he owes but so does your boy...

Make somemore lies up Andrea, the fact is people with children of special needs are moving to this district because of the services that they can recieve here, did you ever hear of the Ben P case?

Lord we do need you , but Andrea gotta go!
    LOL I know more than 25 people who moved because of this school system. Your just a pawn in a political chess game dimwit.

Quote Originally Posted by mom3boys View Post
    Again this entire defense mechanisim on this blog is amazing. Plain and simple if you are willing to support the familes that need support that is what should be done.

To every point you have made, most familes don't know what options they have and how to counter act some of the answers they get. That is why experts such as yourself should list the options for them. Have a conversation with them and lead them in the right direction.

NOT ONCE DID I SAY ANYONE IS SLACKING...what people should have got from this is good energy should be spent on people who need help versus all this back and forth nonsense everyone continues to post without even knowing all the facts. Again, as you attacked me for trying to point out the obvious ..give people options when you (not attacking you, you stating from the post) speak to them...help them understand the options..That is what support is correct.

FYI This is why you hire a lawyer to make sure your child gets what he/she is supposed to under the law. A good lawyer will let the parents know what legal options they have when the school district they are in fails to deliver or live up to the law.Conversation with people in charge usually ends up going nowhere in this city just going around in circles. So I would advise every special ed parent to seek legal advice/options from an expert. Cathy knows what she is talking about as she has a special needs child. What she is posting is from her expierence.

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    And that was the second time I spoke about earlier when you asked for my help. The first was the playground and yes, I was doing my job to help your child....second was after I left my position and you needed advice. I suggested that you get in touch with a certain Sp. Ed. attorney and just mentioning his name in the district got immediate action. The "Benjamin P" case cost the district lots of $$$$$ and scrutiny for years after so this attorney is a powerful force to keep the district on their toes!!
    Immediate action only because of money. Plain and simply if you want a better district you need to hit them in the wallet.

I still say if a parent wants to improve their childrens education and they do not want to send them to a failing school system but to a private school, the failing school district should pay for that child's education not the parents.When you cost the district money only then they will care about improving anything.Might be an incentive to improve.Make this a state law please!!!

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast

Thread Information