Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Village of depew is in violation of their own codes . All to protect big business.

Has anything changed about the restaurant's ventilation system since you bought your house? Or was the odor always like this?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyday77 View Post
    that is a town problem and ours in a village not related i cant complain to my town because the problem is in the village . lack of code enforce for sure.
    Thanks, sunny. I forgot they were 2 different municipalities

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Has anything changed about the restaurant's ventilation system since you bought your house? Or was the odor always like this?
    The vent system was changed inA FEW YEAR AGO when the business remodeled the entire business, I BOUGHT MY HOME IN 1999 WHEN THEIR WAS NO SMELL FROM THE VENTILATION SYSTEM, IT WAS NEVER A ISSUE. TILL THE REMODEL.

yes construction of the front on the buildingtheir was a issue with the smell previous but not as bad as it is now . because of the new contruction to the front of the business its blocking the air flow and causing the odors to be blocked and sending the smell over our homes. this could be corrected to solve the issue as the citaition states. their is simple ways to correct the problem.

Anyone know a bro-bono lawyer that can help us. ?

Quote Originally Posted by vietnam1967 View Post
    The vent system was changed inA FEW YEAR AGO when the business remodeled the entire business, I BOUGHT MY HOME IN 1999 WHEN THEIR WAS NO SMELL FROM THE VENTILATION SYSTEM, IT WAS NEVER A ISSUE. TILL THE REMODEL.
    Gotcha.
    So, you're saying that when you bought the house just a few feet from the fried chicken restaurant, you couldn't smell the fried chicken?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Gotcha.
    So, you're saying that when you bought the house just a few feet from the fried chicken restaurant, you couldn't smell the fried chicken?
    Oh, I see where you are going with this...

Gotcha.
    what does that have to do with the the violation of code. the fact is they are in violation of a village code, because of the remodeling changed the venting system, and the design of the roof blocks the air flow from going up . it comes down over our homes . They were ordered to comply and they didnt thats the issue.

what does that have to do with the the violation of code. the fact is they are in violation of a village code, because of the remodeling changed the venting system, and the design of the roof blocks the air flow from going up . it comes down over our homes . They were ordered to comply and they didnt thats the issue.
    I agree, vietnam. The code states that each day's continued violation constitutes a separate violation. So, why aren't they fined daily until they submit a plan of correction with a completion date?

Georgia L Schlager

The issue is the village took them to court several times and gave the a whole year to comply to order to remedy to fix the problem with the venting stacks, the village ended it with letting the business get away with doing nothing to correct the issue. They let the business pay a one time $250.00 fine and said its ok going keep doing what your doing and dont fix it. That very unfair to us residents that are effected by the issue. YES KEEP FINING THEM. I have know clue way they let them off. The village states they cant do anything more to enforce the code why?

The issue is the village took them to court several times and gave the a whole year to comply to order to remedy to fix the problem with the venting stacks, the village ended it with letting the business get away with doing nothing to correct the issue. They let the business pay a one time $250.00 fine and said its ok going keep doing what your doing and dont fix it. That very unfair to us residents that are effected by the issue. YES KEEP FINING THEM. I have know clue way they let them off. The village states they cant do anything more to enforce the code why?
    It's a shame that the residents of Depew are treated like second class citizens

Georgia L Schlager

It is a shame . to live and be treated this way. I just want to be able to breathe some fresh air and I cant. I pay my taxes and follow the codes as a resident in the village, why cant I be respected the same way . The business has the power to control the village, They have had other violation not just this issue. The rats are always around the resturant, they leave the dumpster hoods open. and never pick up the garbage in the parkinglot. I have a clean home keep my garbage in sealed shed and make sure my yard is always clean. I follow the rules. Why cant they. Sure I am fed up. some people might say well you live near a resturant your going to smell cooking, I realize that. Ican deal with some smell but whens its fowl and grease and chicken and fumes that not the same. somethings wrong with the venting their should be scubbers on the vents to reduce that fowlness in the air . any oneis wellcome to come to my home to see what it is Iam complaining about. This is a big issue to me. The business said to me we paid our fine we dont have to fix it. I need help , I want to open my windows and enjoy the air.

I may be way out of line here, but I've been looking at the Depew website at the meeting minutes. I've gone back almost a year, and haven't found any reference to this.

I would have expected to see this every meeting. If not from you, neighbors.

Calling them is one thing - having it on public record is a complete other.

Bring pictures or anything else that would help your cause. Thank the codes guy for coming out initially, but unfortunately the issue is still ongoing.

Don't bash them - you are asking for help.

That's how you guarantee that something will be done.

Meetings are a waste of time. went to them for years. the code enforcement never came to my home to see the issue , i called the state enforcement code engineer to help me with the issue he oversee them and training.

I would respectfully disagree. Call it out at the meeting - be specific - what section of the code it violates, and how it is being violated, and that they fined the business once already and it hasn't been remediated. The more people that show up, the better.

If you just show up to bitch, they won't give it any credibility. Ask the mayor to come by your home to see (smell) first-hand.

Code enforcement probably did show up, or at least drive by. Unless you can say it with 100% certainty, don't say it at the meeting.

One of two things is going on with this...either the issue is much less significant than how you are outlining it, or the credibility of it has been called into question.

Personally, I don't think that this has been brought to them at a meeting. You indicated you haven't been to a meeting in years, it's a whole new group in office....

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information