Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancaster IDA Information

Guys~good find.

And with the bottom line mentality, IDA's are to be used to stimulate business growth that produces and provides employment to benefit the township. That is why we have 6 IDA segments.

In hopes of revising this IDA format, making it one central program, stimulating growth will level the playing field.

The Lancaster Airport houses planes flown from people throughout Erie County. Does not provide employment, however does provide a product~low low fuel and low low hangar rental. But this is for out of towners.

So the final and only question I have is: How does this benefit Lancaster?

Originally posted by shortstuff:
    So the final and only question I have is: How does this benefit Lancaster?
    It DOESN'T. The owner isn't even a resident. The only Lancaster residents that benefit from the Lancaster Airport are the few local Lancaster pilots.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    It DOESN'T. The owner isn't even a resident. The only Lancaster residents that benefit from the Lancaster Airport are the few local Lancaster pilots.
    As I questioned in another thread:

I find it interesting that no one is carping about the three IDA’s that were given to the airport for the stated purpose of keeping hangar fees lows and with no promise of job creation. And we taxpayers make up the difference in lost revenue. Has the number of based small aircraft at the airport increased primarily because of the lower hangar fees? Do we need jet service in the area to service and convenience but a few customers at the expense of the taxpayer? Who really profits from this enterprise? Is this another example of government waste at the expense of the taxpayer?

Can you image what the tax base could have been if the land were developed as zoned, namely Light Industrial and General Industrial and the jobs that could have been created in the process?

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:

I find it interesting that no one is carping about the three IDA’s that were given to the airport for the stated purpose of keeping hangar fees lows and with no promise of job creation. And we taxpayers make up the difference in lost revenue. Has the number of based small aircraft at the airport increased primarily because of the lower hangar fees? Do we need jet service in the area to service and convenience but a few customers at the expense of the taxpayer? Who really profits from this enterprise? Is this another example of government waste at the expense of the taxpayer?
    You are right Lee. Lower hangar fees doesn't seem to fit the criteria for granting IDA's. And it's a darn shame that we (taxpayers) are the ones making up their share of tax freebies. The jets can go to Niagara Falls. They are better equipped to handle the aircraft and are looking for business. Yes, it is another example of gov't waste at the expense of us.

Posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Can you image what the tax base could have been if the land were developed as zoned, namely Light Industrial and General Industrial and the jobs that could have been created in the process?
    Yeah, maybe we would be looking at lower tax rate. Instead, the IDA is giving away the store.

Georgia L Schlager

Bottom line kind of

Well the Town Supervisor received a free VIP Dinner at the Airport. Some local politicians received and will most likely continue to receive campaign cash from the Airport supporters.

The IDA received a nice chunk of cash, that it now can use to help another developer/supporter/contributor. Thats gonna create allot of "Good Will" for the Chairman/Supervisor and his group.

I am quite sure it has improved the financial prospects for anyone invested in the Airport Venture.

If you mean no true benefits to the residents or job creation - well just pretend that, jobs = their support of our elected officials - thats how they see it !

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Exactly right Gorja. Non residents are enjoying tax breaks Lancaster residents pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Regardless of what some folks thought I said, this is one of the reasons why IDA's need to be radically changed, closely monitored, or done away with completely.

Lida

During last evenings town board meeting, I asked a few questions regarding LIDA. Based on Mr. Giza's reaction, I have to assume he was not happy that I brought up this topic. Based on a state law I located, it seems that the town board has a say on LIDA issues/decisions. Is there anyone on this site that knows anything on this subject? Who is in charge of whom? Donna mentioned that the town board only has a say on who is put in place to serve on LIDA Board, not on governing issues. I also requested our town attorney to look into this matter and report back at next meeting. I also admitted I would like to see LIDA combined with Erie County or even abolished. If IDA's work, why is Buffalo #2 on poorest in Nation for a city our size? Why do we have empty buildings right here in Lancaster? At the very least, there needs to be accountability.
    Last edited by KevinL; December 8th, 2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by KevinL View Post
    During last evenings town board meeting, I asked a few questions regarding LIDA. Based on Mr. Giza's reaction, I have to assume he was not happy that I brought up this topic. Based on a state law I located, it seems that the town board has a say on LIDA issues/decisions. Is there anyone on this site that knows anything on this subject? Who is in charge of whom? Donna mentioned that the town board only has a say on who is put in place to serve on LIDA Board, not on governing issues. I also requested our town attorney to look into this matter and report back at next meeting. I also admitted I would like to see LIDA combined with Erie County or even abolished. If IDA's work, why is Buffalo #2 on poorest in Nation for a city our size? Why do we have empty buildings right here in Lancaster? At the very least, there needs to be accountability.
    One question in my mind is; why would a developer need an IDA? I am sure developers will stay in Lancaster without an IDA, right? I guess there is something to say for political connections.

Kevin, you are right. These schemes have not worked for 40 years.

They are essentially shakedown operations for politicians.

They cannot be reformed unless you believe in economic central planning, you know, like Lenin and Stalin.

Abolish them all now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    Kevin, you are right. These schemes have not worked for 40 years.

They are essentially shakedown operations for politicians.

They cannot be reformed unless you believe in economic central planning, you know, like Lenin and Stalin.

Abolish them all now.
    Jim, do you happen to know if town board has a say over LIDA board?

Very little legal power, just to appoint one or more members.

But they have political influence and a say.

They can certainly call for its abolition and refuse to cooperate with the IDA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    Very little legal power, just to appoint one or more members.

But they have political influence and a say.

They can certainly call for its abolition and refuse to cooperate with the IDA.
    Thank you!

Lancaster IDA

This is from their website:

SECTION 10. APPOINTMENT OF OFFICERS.
    The Chairman, Vice Chairman,
    Secretary and Treasurer of the Agency shall be appointed at the annual meeting of the Agency from among the members of the Agency, and shall hold office for one year or until the successors are appointed. If the term of an Agency member should terminate, his or her term of office as an officer shall also terminate. The Chief Executive Officer, the Deputy Chief Executive Officer and the Chief Financial Officer who cannot be members and the Assistant Secretary and the Assistant Treasurer who may be but are not required to be members of the Agency shall also be appointed at the annual meeting of the Agency and shall hold office for one year or until their successors are appointed.

You would need a good amount of time, and a lawyer to try and pin down anything on their site. Its all double talk about Committees and Authority's. It appears to have many layers, yet those who fill these Committee/authority's aren't identified fully.( I'm also sure its designed that way for a reason.)

You will not get any "straight" answer from Chairman/Supervisor Bob Giza on this issue. Just like I believe he hides compensation he derives from his LIDA/Committee/Authority positions. It has taken many years of questions - and just recently has the SAC Group peeled back the hidden layers of our Town Boards interaction with the Lancaster IDA.

More needs to be exposed - where did you find the State Laws on IDA's? Please list the link.

Like the hidden money/benefits Supervisor Giza has received from the Boys & Girls Club for so many years - theres more layers to this onion!

Where can that be found?

[quote=Jim Ostrowski;580112]Very little legal power, just to appoint one or more members.

Please explain:"just to appoint one or more members"

Are you saying the "Town Board has the ability to appoint Members?
    Where is that written?

Thank You!

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information