Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Canisius Athletic Field Project on Clinton Street

I asked you a question first. Where are these federal wetlands you are so concerned about ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Ebenezer
    I asked you a question first. Where are these federal wetlands you are so concerned about ?
    I thought you were an expert on this area, don't you know the answer to this question?

Available at http://www.upstate-citizens.org/Wetlands.jpg is a print screen from the Erie County GIS mapping system the dark green area is designated as protected federal wetlands and the light blue is the current 100 year floodplain. The lot that is orange is the site for the proposed baseball, lacrosse and soccer fields. The lot that is in a u shape to the north-west of it is the lot were the football field and running track are.
    Last edited by dtwarren; March 23rd, 2008 at 01:57 PM.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    I thought you were an expert on this area
    An Expert ? Me ? Stop it Dan, you're making me blush . I could never hold a candle to you in here.

If or when they flooded in that area, it would be from excessive rain and snowmelt coming from the many miles of the creek that is upstream. In fact I would dare say the Canisius Fields would be first to flood from runoff before the subdivisions up on the backside of the creek would. The Clinton Street farmlands, where the Canisius fields are going, sits well below these neighborhoods. It's visible to see whether you look out from Mineral Springs Rd. area close to Indian Church Rd., where you look down upon the Canisius Fields or from the rear of the Canisius fields area up at the subdivisions (Lexington Green) across the creek. I suggest those who don't know the area not buy into this argument without seeing the lay of the land in this area.
    Trust me, I know the lay of the land quite well. I wrung out a whole lot of dirty Buffalo Creek water from my old sneakers back in the day - it floods - plain and simple. Whether it's the residential area or the Canisius fields, somebody's going to need a raft eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    I wrung out a whole lot of dirty Buffalo Creek water from my old sneakers back in the day
    I'll make sure to wear my boots when I'm watching the lacrosse game there next week. I'll probably be taking a walk back by the creek.

Dan, tell your pals on Lexington Green not to bother calling the cops on me if they see me back there, behind their houses.
    Last edited by Spirit of Ebenezer; March 26th, 2008 at 05:43 PM.

I'll make sure to wear my boots when I'm watching the lacrosse game there next week. I'll probably be taking a walk back by the creek.

Dan, tell your pals on Lexington Green not to bother calling the cops on me if they see me back there, behind their houses.
    Don't fall in pal - those waters get pretty rough this time of year.

Don't fall in pal - those waters get pretty rough this time of year.
    I like a challenge,...... Dan, care to join me there next week or in the near future ?...... No,..... it's not like that........EEEEWWWW!!!!!! ......SICKOS !!!!!

Actually I was planning to attend to see it for myself.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

To answer your question CSense, I believe the core issue is the loss of green space. The Gardenville area of West Seneca is one of the oldest in the town and has always been semi-rural (at least as far as first ring suburbs go). It has some historical buildings, it's just kind of quaint and, for lack of a better word, old.

People are trying desperately to try and keep one tiny slice of West Seneca in it's original state - probably not too much to ask when there is almost no green space left in the town.

Also, this sports facility is going to be situated very close to residences. The lights, noise and traffic are obviously going to be a problem for the people that live there and those who travel Clinton Street. It's a narrow road that already sees extensive backups during rush hour - this behemoth is only going to add to that mess.

The flooding issue, and whether construction can alleviate the potential for flooding, I can't speak on with any authority, but I can say the area is very prone to floods and Canisius's facility is going to back right up to the Buffalo Creek. Ask any resident who has a home bordering Buffalo Creek how they like it when it floods - guaranteed they will use words that can't be typed into this public forum. If this project comes to fruition, and flooding does occur, it will be mighty interesting to see how Canisius handles it. Perhaps the Old Boy Network can empty their wallets for the common good of the old alma mater.
    Looking at the beautiful field and the games going on already, I am jealous that WS residents cannot be a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by be true to yourself
    Looking at the beautiful field and the games going on already, I am jealous that WS residents cannot be a part of it.
    Why? It is PRIVATE. Send your kid to the school, or pay admission.
    Typical of logic on this board. Something for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel
    Why? It is PRIVATE. Send your kid to the school, or pay admission.
    Typical of logic on this board. Something for nothing.
    Pity the poor soul who has only daughters - damn the single sex private school.

Recently Canisius has revealed the plans for its Phase 2 of the Clinton Street site. They are available at http://takebackny.speakupwny.com/Canisius-Phase-2.pdf (the new items are in yellow).
    The Petitioners have moved to vacate Justice Devlin's judgment based on newly discovered evidence, fraud, misconduct and misrepresentations by Respondent Canisius and in the interest of justice (concerning Phase 2 and their segmentation of the review of this project).

The Petitioners have moved to vacate Justice Devlin's judgment based on newly discovered evidence, fraud, misconduct and misrepresentations by Respondent Canisius and in the interest of justice (concerning Phase 2 and their segmentation of the review of this project).
    This motion will be heard this Thursday by Justice Devlin as well as our challenge to the ECIDA funding for it.

What does this mean? You are asking that phase 2 not be allowed, and ECDevelopment Agency not be allowed to help fund? Ultimately, what is the goal, have Canisius remove the field? Is this not an example of fait acompli?

It is our position that it is not zoned properly and should not be permitted on that property absent a proper rezoning, with all the publi input required in such a process. If the rezoning is not possible then it should be demolished and the land put back to the way it was.

Like the Seneca situation they proceeded at their own risk with full knowledge that it was being challenged. No rights vest in an invalidly issued building permit. We now have evidence of illegal segmentation of the environmental review and we are asking the court to vacate its prior ruling as well as the ECIDA resolution authorizing its funding. Even if the court does not grant us the relief we are asking for we will present all these issues to the appellate court.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information