Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Canisius Athletic Field Project on Clinton Street

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    Recently Canisius has revealed the plans for its Phase 2 of the Clinton Street site. They are available at http://takebackny.speakupwny.com/Canisius-Phase-2.pdf (the new items are in yellow).
    I'm guessing your lawsuit amigos live in the houses shown on the backside of the creek ? Looks like they'll have a great view of the back fields. I wonder if the Canisius school marching band besides playing at the football games will be practicing there as well ?

If so, for your pals sake, I hope they're good.

We will see if they even get to play a game there.

I have recently requested that the Town reopen the SEQRA process based on this and other new information. My letter is available at: http://www.upstate-citizens.org/Cani...en-Request.pdf
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Previously, I spoke about Mr. Notaro and my thoughts of him remaining in office and his conduct during this litigation ( http://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=30 ).

Based in part on this conduct the Petitioners in this litigation have moved for an order to settle the record on appeal and other relief including sanctioning Mr. Notaro for his frivolous conduct personally in a sum of up to $10,000.00.

My affidavit in support of the motion (without exhibits) is available at: http://www.upstate-citizens.org/GMW-...nctions-NE.pdf

Mr. Notaro's affidavit is available at: http://www.upstate-citizens.org/GMW-Notaro-Opp.pdf

My affidavit in reply is available at: http://www.upstate-citizens.org/GMW-...ions-reply.pdf
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Mr. Notaro and I resolved the issues which lead me to move for costs and sanctions today so that part of the motion was withdrawn. The Court settled the record on appeal and once a formal order is entered we will proceed to have this matter reviewed by the Appellate Division.

We will see if they even get to play a game there.
    Hey Danny Boy, see the Canisius website ?

April 1, 5:00 p.m. Boys varsity lacrosse game tentatively scheduled at the Clinton Street field. Is it tentative because of you ? Or is it an April Fools joke ? Whatever the case, much to your chagrin I bet they'll be playing there next month.

Mr. Notaro and I resolved the issues which lead me to move for costs and sanctions today so that part of the motion was withdrawn. The Court settled the record on appeal and once a formal order is entered we will proceed to have this matter reviewed by the Appellate Division.
    Why was the motion withdrawn? How did you settle?

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Why was the motion withdrawn? How did you settle?
    Prior to the motion being heard I made an offer to Mr. Notaro that if he provided to me the materials I requested at the September 18, 2007 hearing and in my subsequent letters that I would withdraw the motion for sanctions and costs. I made this offer because that would eliminate any need for any monetary reimbursement and that I would have had to make the motion to settle the record on appeal whether or not he agreed with me since the attorneys for Canisius did not. He accepted this offer and delivered the materials to me so we withdrew that part of the motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Ebenezer
    I continue to be impressed at the prospects of the Canisius sports complex on Clinton St. Looking further at the Canisius high school website I see where the facility as it stands now is equipped with all the necessary features to hold outdoor track meets. Did you ever see a high school invitational track meet ? These meets are an all day event, sometimes two days, with literally hundreds of kids, not to mention their families all convening in a rather festive affair. Quite a spectacle ! These type of events would easily dwarf any sort of crowd that this town has ever seen with regards to youth sporting events. With the additional lacrosse fields and baseball fields, tournaments could be in the plans as well. It should be a boon for the few restaurants on Clinton St. Also being that it is a lightly populated area on a main st., traffic will minimally impact town residents. When they complete the additional fields, it will be the premier high school outdoor sports complex in Western New York. It already looks impressive as it stands now.

It's a shame nobody on the old town board or those who fought it with out compromise, thought about working with Canisius in an effort to see if it could be a facility that wasn't exclusive to Canisius. Given the millions Canisius has in hand and with a large local and impressive alumni, this project was going to happen no matter what some think they could throw in their way. With the finances they are going to be pouring into this facility, I'm would guess initially they would have been receptive to making it somewhat town resident friendly in some capacity to move the process along. By adding touches like a walking trail and a playground for town residents to also utilize or possibly allow town or school sports programs to use these impressive facilities. Given the grief they've gotten from a few "concerned citizens", I'm sure they are not in a compromising mood now. What could possibly have been something for all town residents to use, we will never know, because the five members on the past town board and a few people were only thinking of themselves and not the town as a whole.

.....so sad !
    This matter was never before the Town Board. Canisisus never wanted to negotiate anything or work with anyone relative to this project and that was clear from the begining.

In case you might be interested, this debate continues under the N.Y. State County govt. section/thread "Chris Collins Erie County Exec-ECIDA Loans Collins should question Canisius Project". This thread was initiated by a member of the towns Enviromental Commision.

I'm guessing your lawsuit amigos live in the houses shown on the backside of the creek ?
    They live less that 600 feet from the property that Canisius owns and is constructing this athletic facility. I live slightly over 2500 feet from it, but only 600 feet outside of the floodplain that they plan on adding over 120,000 gallons of water to, as well as the increase in storm water runoff from the non-porous material they have placed over a large part of the property.
    The Canisius parcel sits across a creek and substantially below your friends homes on Lexington Green. You live significantly beyond them from the Canisius fields. It would take a rain of Biblical proportions for you or your friends homes to be flooded. In here, you can get away with the doom and gloom scenario. Anyone with knowledge of the area can see, or with a camera simply show, how hollow your "concern" is with your trumped up flooding issue. You espouse about the 100 year flood plan ? How many times has Buffalo Creek flooded where you're concerned ? I say, literally, it's been generations. Can you prove otherwise ?
    Does anyone here remember of know of when this area Mr. Warren lives in and speaks of, the Mineral Springs and Indian Church area ever being flooded by the Buffalo Creek ? It may be possible that the subdivisions along Buffalo Creek might have, though I have no recollection of it occuring. Or will Dan say flooding isn't his chief concern here ?

Does anyone here remember of know of when this area Mr. Warren lives in and speaks of, the Mineral Springs and Indian Church area ever being flooded by the Buffalo Creek ? It may be possible that the subdivisions along Buffalo Creek might have, though I have no recollection of it occuring. Or will Dan say flooding isn't his chief concern here ?
    You are the only one mentioning flooding. Something in your mind equated concerns over the effect of the project on the 100 Year flood-plain and nearby federal wetlands to flooding.

You really need to do your homework my friend. Ask someone on Lexington Green if it's ever flooded there - if you get an old timer, especially, you'd better hit the bathroom, grab a cup of coffee and a good comfortable chair first - you're in for a long day.

You are the only one mentioning flooding. Something in your mind equated concerns over the effect of the project on the 100 Year flood-plain and nearby federal wetlands to flooding.
    They live less that 600 feet from the property that Canisius owns and is constructing this athletic facility. I live slightly over 2500 feet from it, but only 600 feet outside of the floodplain that they plan on adding over 120,000 gallons of water to.

You mentioned a floodplain and your living in it's proximity. But flooding wasn't isn't your concern ? Then why mention it. I knew you'd go that route.......

will Dan say flooding isn't his chief concern here ?
    The nearby "Federal wetlands" you mention, where exactly are they. I know there are wetlands back quite aways behind the homes across the St. from where you live. Those wetlands could never be affected by Buffalo Creek. Is it the farmlands that border the creek along Clinton St ? They have been farmland, now barren, for ever. You make these wetlands you mention sound like some sort of nature preserve. Though that is the slickness of some your posts. Paint a scenario where most in here have never actually seen. I'd like to hear more from you about these wetlands.
    Last edited by Spirit of Ebenezer; March 23rd, 2008 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    You really need to do your homework my friend. Ask someone on Lexington Green if it's ever flooded there
    If or when they flooded in that area, it would be from excessive rain and snowmelt coming from the many miles of the creek that is upstream. In fact I would dare say the Canisius Fields would be first to flood from runoff before the subdivisions up on the backside of the creek would. The Clinton Street farmlands, where the Canisius fields are going, sits well below these neighborhoods. It's visible to see whether you look out from Mineral Springs Rd. area close to Indian Church Rd., where you look down upon the Canisius Fields or from the rear of the Canisius fields area up at the subdivisions (Lexington Green) across the creek. I suggest those who don't know the area not buy into this argument without seeing the lay of the land in this area.

SOE, if you raise the water table would that increase or decrease the chance of flooding?

If you decrease the surface area that is water permeable would that increase or decrease the amount of water that flows off the property?

If you alter drainage flow or patterns or surface water runoff from the property does the amount of erosion increase or decrease?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information