Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Small water damage to drywall and wall trim

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    My understanding is that LVL should never be exposed to weather. They will deteriorate. Are these in fact exposed?
    Yes they are Jeff, we have now found out that they are not meant for exterior use, but what did we know. We expected the builder to have known that and now we have this issue which is rotted and deteriorated so much that one of the beams have dropped. So if they were used for external out door use, they should have been covered.

Join Angieslist it is now free and find someone to do your project.. https://join.angieslist.com/welcome?cache=1473350768028

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Yes they are Jeff, we have now found out that they are not meant for exterior use, but what did we know. We expected the builder to have known that and now we have this issue which is rotted and deteriorated so much that one of the beams have dropped. So if they were used for external out door use, they should have been covered.
    Ugh. I'm sorry. The builder should have known better, unless the manufacturer specifically stated that they are able to be used in an exposed environment. Sorry I have no followed this entire thread, do you have recourse with the builder?

Ugh. I'm sorry. The builder should have known better, unless the manufacturer specifically stated that they are able to be used in an exposed environment. Sorry I have no followed this entire thread, do you have recourse with the builder?

Well, since this already happened with one other homeowner and now with this information, most of the homes do have the LVL beams, the stature of limitations with NYS is 7 years. One of the homeowners did get that done no charge to them, due to the timeframe within the law requirements. We have exceeded that timeframe therefore, we have to pay. Our first estimate is $5,000 and this contractor stated those beams should have been covered. Once it was exposed to water, it was downhill from that point. Waiting to get the second estimate.

I'll update, once we get confirmation but the process is not as dramatic as the other homeowner. His destruction was significant. But the project on their home is complete and is done nicely, perfect actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry A View Post
    Join Angieslist it is now free and find someone to do your project.. https://join.angieslist.com/welcome?cache=1473350768028
    Thx Jerry, I'll use this list to draw from.

Well, since this already happened with one other homeowner and now with this information, most of the homes do have the LVL beams, the stature of limitations with NYS is 7 years. One of the homeowners did get that done no charge to them, due to the timeframe within the law requirements. We have exceeded that timeframe therefore, we have to pay. Our first estimate is $5,000 and this contractor stated those beams should have been covered. Once it was exposed to water, it was downhill from that point. Waiting to get the second estimate.

I'll update, once we get confirmation but the process is not as dramatic as the other homeowner. His destruction was significant. But the project on their home is complete and is done nicely, perfect actually.
    I would be raising hell. Best of luck.

Thx Jeff for your input. Much appreciated.

We did tell the builder, his response-crickets. Kind of tells ya about the reputation.

It's too bad these builders don't have a conscience. After realizing he Ef'd up the other home, he should have been checking the others in the association.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    It's too bad these builders don't have a conscience. After realizing he Ef'd up the other home, he should have been checking the others in the association.
    I know, many of the homes have the LVL beams. It will be an issue to explore further as the details are worked out. Many of the homeowners are unaware of the future of their home.

The job will begin mid-October. The cost to us will be around $10,000 This makes me very angry especially when the company doing the job states amazement at how a builder would us LVL's for outdoor use without properly protecting it from the environment. Another snafu from the builder/architect.

The job will begin mid-October. The cost to us will be around $10,000 This makes me very angry especially when the company doing the job states amazement at how a builder would us LVL's for outdoor use without properly protecting it from the environment. Another snafu from the builder/architect.
    That is nuts. I would be finding out how to file a suit. Totally unacceptable.

That is nuts. I would be finding out how to file a suit. Totally unacceptable.
    2nd. Talk to a lawyer.

Well this may or could be an option. Just learned that the neighboring community also had the same issues with their homes.

The contractor started dismantling the targeted area, once all material was removed from the affected area, the contractor was shocked at how the LVL's deteriorated. He poked his finger through the board. Yup, that is what is holding up the upper deck and roof. The portion of the boards of course are all black-mold I am gathering. Now other homes are affected, so I need to make sure they are aware and if lawyers are an option-it might be the best place to begin. But the price did go up, probably looking at $15,000.

Well this may or could be an option. Just learned that the neighboring community also had the same issues with their homes.

The contractor started dismantling the targeted area, once all material was removed from the affected area, the contractor was shocked at how the LVL's deteriorated. He poked his finger through the board. Yup, that is what is holding up the upper deck and roof. The portion of the boards of course are all black-mold I am gathering. Now other homes are affected, so I need to make sure they are aware and if lawyers are an option-it might be the best place to begin. But the price did go up, probably looking at $15,000.
    Consultations with an attorney are generally free. I would look into it for sure. Using LVL outside is just plain negligence.

Alot of builders today are also using OSB for roof sheeting. As soon as water hits that stuff though its all over.

Your home is only 8 years old. That's ridiculous. Seek out an attorney

Georgia L Schlager

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information