Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Town of Cheektowaga has a survey asking if you would like garbage totes or not.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I think Angela would need a second person on the board to start the process. Isn't that how it works to get the ball rolling for a request to bid?

The majority of voters were mislead with election material. I'm surprised you didn't receive any. The community was told they run an efficient sanitation department along with working in the community's best interest. FRom the foil reports it looks like it's not efficient if you can run a democratic social club while costing the community 20% + more than other surrounding communities.

Riddle me this nogods.

Why are basically defending how our town is ran while we pay some the highest property taxes in Erie County?
    Angela doesn't need anyone else for her to get a local sanitation company to state that they would be willing to bid on a proposal for services as they presently exist. I don't think any sanitation company is willing to do that. They all want restrictive agreements. Maybe I'm wrong. Surely angela could bring one forward if they existed.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Angela doesn't need anyone else for her to get a local sanitation company to state that they would be willing to bid on a proposal for services as they presently exist. I don't think any sanitation company is willing to do that. They all want restrictive agreements. Maybe I'm wrong. Surely angela could bring one forward if they existed.
    I would say she does. If the rest of the board won't entertain it in order to protect their "party interest" then it is pointless. Means the board isn't working in the best interest of our community, they are working in the best interest of themselves and the democratic party. If the answer is we can't do anything then it means they made a very incompetent move by setting up a sanitation department that has a monopoly on our services. Go read post #13 again. Look at the names behind this. Can't leave people who make costly incompetent decisions on our town board. It effects too many working families and you know I'm pro labor.

The rest of the board is to smart to waste there time like I said before they would have to negotiate with the union first if they even wanted to enterain that idea. And nogods is right no company is gone to offer the same service as the town private companies have many more restrictions on what they take

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    The rest of the board is to smart to waste there time like I said before they would have to negotiate with the union first if they even wanted to enterain that idea. And nogods is right no company is gone to offer the same service as the town private companies have many more restrictions on what they take
    The town board controls our town not a group of employees.

Other towns are using other services and spend less. That is all that matters.

And a question for you.. Why are you defending an in-efficient department seeing other towns deliver the same service for less?

Because I think are garbage service is just fine I have never had a problem with my pickup and you say its less in other towns it might be but they don't pick up everything every week so you cant compare other towns and no workers don't control but when its in a contract you cant privitize then they have to negotiate

Wny my son works part time for the garbage during the summer. Why don't you try working a day in there shoes see for yourself what they pick up and what they go threw you seem like you have a lot of time on your hands.

I would say she does. If the rest of the board won't entertain it in order to protect their "party interest" then it is pointless.
    Angela doesn't need anyone's approval to come forward with a sanitation company that claims it will bid on the same services being provided. they just come forward. they open their mouth at a board meeting or send a letter to the board or send a letter to the Bee. no permission needed whatsoever.

Of course, if there is no such company then one would want to hide behind the false claim that one needs the town board approval to make a public statement about willingness to bid on the services as provided.

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Wny my son works part time for the garbage during the summer. Why don't you try working a day in there shoes see for yourself what they pick up and what they go threw you seem like you have a lot of time on your hands.
    This is what we get in Lancaster for $157.15.
    http://lancasterny.gov/pdfs/Lancaster_Recycling.pdf

Do you think that's restrictive?

Georgia L Schlager

Yes I do Cheektowaga offers more

Plus Cheektowaga is much bigger than Lancaster so what you pay is pointless

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    This is what we get in Lancaster for $157.15.
    http://lancasterny.gov/pdfs/Lancaster_Recycling.pdf

Do you think that's restrictive?
    what happens if you leave out more than 10 items? Do they fine you like Amherst (where the limit is 8) or do they just leave the excess?

My neighbors and I can call Max directly if we have a problem with the garbage pickup and the problem gets handled within an hour or less. How well does Waste Management respond to problems? Do they even respond? What if they say "not today, we are too busy" then who do you call? Do they show up at local HOA meetings to listen to your concerns?

I'm not against having private companies bid on providing sanitation services, but I want the bid to be apples to apples. I don't think a private company will agree to pickup all the garbage without limit because they need a limit to be able to formulate a profit.

That's the big difference between private services and public services. Private services are focused on making a profit, the actual service is just a means of making a profit. Public services focus on providing the service.

That doesn't mean services like sanitation can't be provided by private services, but residents have to be willing to accept the inherent limitations that come with a private service.

Why won't Ted and Angela be honest about that factor? Tell people "A private company can do the sanitation service for less, of course, it will be less services, but we don't need all the services we get now - the savings will be worth it" instead of BS'ing us and acting as if a private company will supply the same service for less money.

We could also probably get a private security firm to provide police services as well. How well do you think that would work out?

what happens if you leave out more than 10 items? Do they fine you like Amherst (where the limit is 8) or do they just leave the excess?

My neighbors and I can call Max directly if we have a problem with the garbage pickup and the problem gets handled within an hour or less. How well does Waste Management respond to problems? Do they even respond? What if they say "not today, we are too busy" then who do you call? Do they show up at local HOA meetings to listen to your concerns?

I'm not against having private companies bid on providing sanitation services, but I want the bid to be apples to apples. I don't think a private company will agree to pickup all the garbage without limit because they need a limit to be able to formulate a profit.

That's the big difference between private services and public services. Private services are focused on making a profit, the actual service is just a means of making a profit. Public services focus on providing the service.

That doesn't mean services like sanitation can't be provided by private services, but residents have to be willing to accept the inherent limitations that come with a private service.

Why won't Ted and Angela be honest about that factor? Tell people "A private company can do the sanitation service for less, of course, it will be less services, but we don't need all the services we get now - the savings will be worth it" instead of BS'ing us and acting as if a private company will supply the same service for less money.

We could also probably get a private security firm to provide police services as well. How well do you think that would work out?
    I've never had out more than 10 items. If I have 10 bags of grass and 2 bags of garbage, I put 2 bags of garbage in a can, put 1 bags of grass in a can, put 1 bag of grass across the top of the can and put the other 8 bags of grass on the lawn. Sometimes my cans are well over the weight limit loaded with bags of sod. I think it would be rare to have more than 10 items on a weekly basis. But I guess some people choose to pay more for that rare occasion

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I've never had out more than 10 items. If I have 10 bags of grass and 2 bags of garbage, I put 2 bags of garbage in a can, put 1 bags of grass in a can, put 1 bag of grass across the top of the can and put the other 8 bags of grass on the lawn. Sometimes my cans are well over the weight limit loaded with bags of sod. I think it would be rare to have more than 10 items on a weekly basis. But I guess some people choose to pay more for that rare occasion
    I hhve had more than ten items on occasion - especially after a clean out of the basement or attic.

But more importantly, i want the sanitation service provided to remove all the garbage any of my neighbors put out.

When I lived in New Orleans garbage collection was both private and optional for single family homes. I liven in an apartment complex. Many of the homeowners around the complex would either sneak their garbage into the apartment complex dumpsters or just throw it along the adjoining highway. And real property taxed had a 50k fmv exemption - which today is the equivalent of 150k. Imagine a community like Amherst where all homes valued at less than 150K paid no property tax. Now imagine the level of services you would receive. That's what living in New Orleans East was like back in the mid-1970's.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I hhve had more than ten items on occasion - especially after a clean out of the basement or attic.

And why is that anyone else's issue besides yours? Take it to the dump.

But more importantly, i want the sanitation service provided to remove all the garbage any of my neighbors put out.

What makes you think they have as much garbage as you? Do we see a garbage sanitation issue in Amherst, Lancaster or Clarence?

When I lived in New Orleans garbage collection was both private and optional for single family homes. I liven in an apartment complex. Many of the homeowners around the complex would either sneak their garbage into the apartment complex dumpsters or just throw it along the adjoining highway. And real property taxed had a 50k fmv exemption - which today is the equivalent of 150k. Imagine a community like Amherst where all homes valued at less than 150K paid no property tax. Now imagine the level of services you would receive. That's what living in New Orleans East was like back in the mid-1970's.
    If I put a can of garbage out a week at 8 am and it's gone when I get home what do I care what people are doing in New Orleans? You go to the extremes. You do that on purpose. I never said NO taxes. It's how it is spent and it should be spent in the best interest of EVERYONE in the community not just the politically connected. That is the part you fail to grasp.

Originally Posted by nogods

And why is that anyone else's issue besides yours? Take it to the dump.
    Because the majority of voters in Cheektowaga decided that is the way they want it to be.

Since when do the losers make the decisions for the winners?

If you don't like it, take yourself to Lancaster. And take Ted and Angela with you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information