Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Maziarz Hangs It Up

George Maziarz Hangs It Up

19 years... it's about time.

Maziarz will not see re-election
    Athan Kompos, WGRZ
    July 13, 2014

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Republican New York State senator George Maziarz announced late Sunday that he is retiring and will not accept a nomination to run for re-election in November. In a statement released to media he said, "As I geared up for another long campaign season, I realized I just did not have the passion and commitment that I have had in the past to see it through." (The complete text of the statement is reprinted below.)

The news comes shortly after Maziarz's chief of staff resigned.

The 61-year-old from Niagara County has served in public office since 1978 and held the 62nd state senate seat since 1995.

A source tells 2 On Your Side North Tonawanda Mayor Robert Ortt is expected to be selected by the Niagara County Republican Committee for the Senate race now that Maziarz is not running for office again.

Calabrese also says Ortt is well positioned to run as his successor as an Afghanistan War veteran and a popular Republican mayor in a community with a strong Democratic base.

Gun rights advocate Gia Arnold of Orleans County is also seeking the Republican nomination and Niagara Falls School Board Member Johnny Destino is running for the seat as a Democrat.

Full text of Maziarz's statement:

MAZIARZ TO RETIRE FROM STATE SENATE

DECLINES NOMINATION TO RUN THIS NOVEMBER

It is no secret to my family and close friends that I have been considering retirement from the State Legislature for the last five years. And as I geared up for another long campaign season, I realized I just did not have the passion and commitment that I have had in the past to see it through.

People will ask me why now and the simple answer is there is never the perfect time to step away. I had the honor of following the late John Daly into the State Senate. I remember him telling me when he left the Senate it was simply time for the next generation of leaders in the Legislature. After nearly two decades in office, I fully understand what he meant and feel that way today.

My second daughter gets married this summer and that is a much bigger priority for me than another grueling campaign. My family has sacrificed enough for my public service through the years and I cannot ask for any more.

To the people of Niagara, Orleans and Monroe counties who I have had the pleasure to represent since 1995, I extend my heart felt appreciation for your continued support. I always told people that being your Senator was the greatest job in the world, one I dedicated myself to 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We accomplished great things and I did my best to help my constituents with any problem … big or small. Thank you for giving a kid from North Tonawanda the chance to fulfill his dream of serving in the State Senate.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

The rumor is that he is under federal investigation and a couple of his staff members have already received subpoenas.
    Lack of passion and commitment is just BS

Georgia L Schlager

no great loss ... way to long in office again people keep voting these people in office
    Maziarz retiring from New York State Senate

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Republican New York State senator George Maziarz announced late Sunday that he is retiring and will not accept a nomination to run for re-election in November.

It was a surprising move for Maziarz, 61, R-Newfane, Niagara County, and leaves Senate Republicans with another seat to try to retain in November as they look to win a majority.

Maziarz, chairman of the Senate Energy Committee, represents a sprawling western New York district that stretches from Niagara County into western Monroe County.

"It is no secret to my family and close friends that I have been considering retirement from the State Legislature for the last five years," Maziarz said in a statement at 10 p.m. "And as I geared up for another long campaign season, I realized I just did not have the passion and commitment that I have had in the past to see it through." (The complete text of the statement is reprinted below.)

Maziarz will finish the remainder of his term, which runs until Dec. 31.

Maziarz's decision comes after he was believed to be under investigation by the now-defunct Moreland Commission for potential abuse of his campaign cash....

City & State reported in May that Maziarz doled out more than $140,000 in campaign funds over a six-year period without identifying what exactly he purchased.....

Maziarz told Gannett's Albany Bureau after the report that his spending was all documented and followed existing laws.

"Everything that was required to be reported was reported," he said.

After Gov. Andrew Cuomo disbanded the commission in March, U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara seized the files and said he may follow up on the open cases.

The news comes shortly after Maziarz's chief of staff resigned.

Maziarz has served in public office since 1978 and held the 62nd state senate seat since 1995.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

oh boy there all scrambling to see who the next goofball politician will get the job.. I cant believe how many people loved boy george.. his sister didnt. she said its a political pig pen in his county.
    no different in erie county maybe worse.. wake up people vote this long term politicians out of office they do nothing but fill their pockets with bennnies..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p6cAYLUvh4

“Several weeks ago Alisa received a subpoena from the U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of New York regarding matters related the Senator Maziarz, including issues related to his campaign committee,” Daniel French, Colatarci’s attorney and a former U.S. attorney for the northern district, said in an email. “Alisa is not the target of the investigation and has cooperated fully.”

The Buffalo News reports that Hall is being represented by Buffalo defense attorney and former federal prosecutor Rodney Personius. Personius told the newspaper that Hall resigned and that he represents him in connection with the investigation, but he would not comment further.

Laureen Jacobs, who is the longtime campaign treasurer for Maziarz, has secured an attorney.

Jacobs, a hospital administrator at Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center, did not return telephone calls last week.

Matt Nelligan, the spokesperson for Maziarz, did not respond last week when asked if the senator or any staff members or campaign workers had received subpoenas from the Justice Department.

Maziarz was being investigated by the Moreland Commission before it was disbanded earlier this year. In May, City & State magazine reported that the panel was looking into the senator’s campaign expenditures, as well as spending by other lawmakers. Bharara has since picked up some of the commission’s work and is reportedly investigating further Maziarz’s campaign funds.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Don't vote for whoever the parties endorse.

Has it ever occurred to any of you that voting is nothing but a 'show' to keep people complacent?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    Has it ever occurred to any of you that voting is nothing but a 'show' to keep people complacent?
    Well what are we going to do, appoint a dictator for life? At least we can pick our poison.

Gia Arnold ran petitions got on the ballot and is running a campaign. Instead of endorsing her, the Republicans are going to rail road her right out of town and pick a good old boy to endorse.( Another insider schmuck from NT that's still sitting at the starting gate of this election race) These parties SUCK.
    Last edited by NY The Vampire State; July 15th, 2014 at 09:00 AM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Gia has been sending me press releases but the last two were sent the day of the event. I emailed her back to send them over sooner so word can get out.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So I don't seem to only pick on Democrats.. go read Alan's article about George Maziarz...

Maziarz Out, SD-62 Up For Grabs

Merryl Tisch, the state’s top education official, sat politely in the grand, oak-paneled auditorium of Buffalo’s Lafayette High School two months ago, but her face told the tale. Her lips were pursed and her brow was furrowed in a slight frown.

The Board of Regents chancellor interrupted the staff’s 10-slide PowerPoint presentation and asked pointed questions about graduation rates and placements. When Assemblyman Sean Ryan tried to argue that Lafayette’s abysmal outcomes were the result of a stacked deck, she cut him off.
    Alan's article

The legislator with the most number of entries about him is state Sen. George Maziarz, the third-ranking Republican in the Senate leadership. According to the documents, Maziarz amassed more than $140,000 in unitemized campaign expenses in filings reported between 2008 and 2013—which averages out to more than $23,000 a year, or nearly $2,000 a month. The senator’s campaign also had “over $67,000 of charges and expenditures to Chase and Chase Card Services,” identified broadly as “office” expenses. The total sum, which exceeded by tens of thousands of dollars the amount of unspecified expenditures by each of the other lawmakers flagged, is broken down in depth within the documents and includes details not included in the senator’s public campaign filings.

The Commission found that the Maziarz campaign doled out more than $125,000 at retailers such as Target and BJ’s Wholesale Club, including $56,250 in expenditures that investigators concluded had not been reported. Another $10,000 from the senator’s re-election funds went to specialty chocolatiers, a florist and wineries and wine stores. The campaign committee also paid for $7,850 worth of reading materials at Borders, Readers Digest and Barnes & Noble, with $2,000 labeled as “unreported” by the Commission.

The Commission also tabulated the Maziarz campaign spending $12,000 at arts and crafts stores like Michaels and Oriental Trading; $7,000 at the now-defunct online gift boutique Southern Living at HOME and its successor, Willow House; and $4,000 on purchases related to children, including from Toys ”R” Us and Mud Pie, and payments to Do-do, the clown.

A company called MEM Enterprises also received a cumulative $39,000 from the Maziarz campaign. A Commission document notes that the company has only one employee, brings in $54,000 a year and is based at a residence owned by a person who appears to be the senator’s relative. Efforts to reach MEM Enterprises were unsuccessful, however, based upon inquiries made by City & State, it appears that the company’s address is the same as that of the senator’s brother, Marvin Maziarz, a retired Niagara County Community College professor.

http://www.cityandstateny.com/2/75/i...l#.U8U3frEQF9V

Quote Originally Posted by NY The Vampire State View Post
    Don't vote for whoever the parties endorse.
    How sad that this could possibly be the best advice because in today's world the electorate is too ill informed to make a intelligent assessment as to who the best candidate seeking office is - or is too lazy, apathetic or plain stupid; especially those that vote straight party lines.

Yes Vamp, for the most part they (all politicians) suck.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Contenders already lining up for Maziarz seat

www.wivb.com

Republican North Tonawanda Mayor Rob Ortt threw his hat in the ring Tuesday. His opponents say he was being groomed by powerful party members for the Maziarz seat.
    Who would that be? The Nick and the guys that run the http://ecgop.com/

The Democrat in the race is Johnny Destino, a Niagara Falls attorney and member of the school board. He has accused Maziarz of being “one of the most corrupt politicians in the state.” Destino vows to launch an aggressive campaign.

“We’re going to go door to door,” he said. “We’re going to get out and meet the people and let them know, you do have a choice now. I’m not afraid to stand up to the [Niagara County] GOP machine.”
    His Mayor campaign facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/destinoformayor

NOTA - None of the above is running a national campaign. Tell the status quo we've had enough .

Then I woke up ! -
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

imagine that, another long term politician turns out to be corrupt
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    imagine that, another long term politician turns out to be corrupt
    Not necessarily. It's all relative to the person.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So what happens with the campaign cash that he has collected? Does it default back to the local republican party?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information