Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Town of Cheektowaga has a survey asking if you would like garbage totes or not.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

The Town of Cheektowaga has a survey asking if you would like garbage totes or not.

Take the survey now.

The purpose of this survey is to determine the feasibility of offering garbage totes for trash collection in the Town of Cheektowaga.
    Do you support the purchase of garbage totes (trash cans) by the Town of Cheektowaga to distribute to residents for their regular trash pickup?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QNCRQ2Y

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I voted no. I also left a comment that we need to look into privatizing because we are spending 20% or more compared to surrounding towns.

Garbage Totes

I went to the informational meeting last night regarding the totes. The town is going to supply 30,000 totes at about $80 each. Install the tipping mechanism on the rear of the trucks at a cost of $11,000 per truck. Mr. pickup truck is working on this arrangement. It's not going to cost the taxpayers a single cent for this program because the town will use it's reserves. Reserves? Tax money we already paid or should I say overpaid last year. Bottom line, what I got out of this meeting is wheter the public wants it or not, your going to get it and you're going to like it. I( agree with RES, private pickup sure looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I voted no. I also left a comment that we need to look into privatizing because we are spending 20% or more compared to surrounding towns.
    If only it were that simple. An article like this is probably too long for Ted or Angel to comprehend in their simpleton world.

I'm all for exploring privatization of sanitation in the town but I want more detailed information on not only the cost, but also the services that will provided at those cost.

Past experience of many cities suggests privatizing sanitation services wasn't a panacea

when totes were first started in Amherst people complained for about 2 weeks, then most quickly realized how much better they were. I thinkl if Amherst announced it was going to eliminate the totes system there would be an uproar.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    If only it were that simple. An article like this is probably too long for Ted or Angel to comprehend in their simpleton world.
    I believe Amherst is privatized.

I believe Amherst is privatized.
    Yes, it is, but in order to compare, as the article i cited points out, you have to match the services being provided.

Cheektowaga is an open-ended service, Amherst is not.

In Amherst, "8 or more items in addition to totes (not including metal or yard waste materials) is subject to a $100 fee assessed by a summons and payable to the Town of Amherst"

What would it cost for a private company to provide the same level of service in the town of Cheektowaga?

there are also logistic differences between Amherst and Cheektowaga that might significantly impact on the cost - could be less, could be more - we just don't know until a private company puts in a bid, and i haven't heard of any such bids. Can't Ted and Angela get a private company to to state what they would charge for the Town of Cheektowaga for the same services?

As it is unlikely that the sanitation will be privatized this fiscal year, the only issue to be addressed is whether we should go to a tote system. I think we should for rodent control and aesthetic reasons that will improve the quality of life.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    From what it looks like less. Simple as that. If the democratically control town board won't even entertain a bid they are not looking out for the best interest of our community. And to top it off they send out misleading flyer during election time. Shows us right off the bat the mentality of what we are dealing with.

I think before our community spends millions to do totes and retro fit the trucks for totes we solicit bids. Private company might provide the totes.

Lets see how concerned our two elected business men are for our community. If you would like I can post up their election material again. If Angela submits what ever paper work is needed to bid out our sanitation services will Jerry and Charley second the motion?

I don't care if I put garbage into a tote or tote from Home depot. They are just garbage cans with attached lids.

Does someone get to bid on the sale of totes?

From what it looks like less. Simple as that. If the democratically control town board won't even entertain a bid they are not looking out for the best interest of our community. And to top it off they send out misleading flyer during election time. Shows us right off the bat the mentality of what we are dealing with.

I think before our community spends millions to do totes and retro fit the trucks for totes we solicit bids. Private company might provide the totes.

Lets see how concerned our two elected business men are for our community. If you would like I can post up their election material again. If Angela submits what ever paper work is needed to bid out our sanitation services will Jerry and Charley second the motion?

I don't care if I put garbage into a tote or tote from Home depot. They are just garbage cans with attached lids.

Does someone get to bid on the sale of totes?
    The majority of voters in cheektowaga are apparently not interested in privatizing the sanitation service.

If the minority wants to push the issue they have to do better than just jump up and down hollering "it will save money!" because there is no evidence that it will.

The existing board has no reason to otherwise pursue the matter because the majority of town voters already made their voices heard in the last election.

If TeD and Angela can't come up with a bid that proves their claims then their claims will just continue to be ignored. Just as they were in the election.

Once agian Wny the town cant privitize garbage at there own whim they would have to negotiate that with the union first. So why would they waste there time

If the totes get approved, any idea on how the town plans to decontrol the distribution of them? Will my house be assigned a tote with a specific id number? Just wondering in case someone walks off with my tote and I'm stuck with having to purchase another one.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Once agian Wny the town cant privitize garbage at there own whim they would have to negotiate that with the union first. So why would they waste there time
    The union can do other work. Park work, road work, etc...

the town should solicited bids. Who are the main sanitation companies that do the other towns in our community?

The union can do other work. Park work, road work, etc...

the town should solicited bids. Who are the main sanitation companies that do the other towns in our community?
    I don't think there are any local sanitation companies that will bid to provide the existing service. Ted and Angela haven't yet been able to produce one. I don't want the town wasting resources to chase a pipe dream. Let Ted and Angela come up with some facts. Surely if there was a sanitation company willing to provide the same level of services then we would have heard form them.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I don't think there are any local sanitation companies that will bid to provide the existing service. Ted and Angela haven't yet been able to produce one. I don't want the town wasting resources to chase a pipe dream. Let Ted and Angela come up with some facts. Surely if there was a sanitation company willing to provide the same level of services then we would have heard form them.
    So you don't think a private company wants to increase their business in WNY? Why do you think they wouldn't want to?

Well let us give this a shot. Angela should submit what ever paperwork to have the town board ask for bids. Seeing we have two businessmen on the town board we should have no issue having a second and a third. Should be easy.

Look how easy this was...

Reassign Sanitation Department Supervision Duties

Vote
    James Jankowiak Initiator Yes/Aye
    Patricia Jaworowicz Initiator Yes/Aye
    Thomas Johnson Jr. Initiator Yes/Aye
    Jeff Swiatek Initiator Yes/Aye
    Alice Magierski Initiator Yes/Aye
    James Rogowski Initiator Yes/Aye
    Richard Zydel Seconder Yes/Aye

Sponsors
    Councilmember Richard Zydel
    Councilmember Thomas Johnson Jr.
    Councilmember James Rogowski
    Remember I think Mr. Zydel wants to primary this round of elections. He voted for this and sponsored it. Thank you Mr. Zydel.

Appoint General Crew Chief In Sanitation Department

Sponsors Councilmember Richard Zydel
    Councilmember Thomas Johnson Jr.
    Councilmember James Rogowski
    Town Clerk Alice Magierski
    Supervisor James Jankowiak
    Councilmember Jeff Swiatek
    Councilmember Patricia Jaworowicz
    James Jankowiak Initiator Yes/Aye
    Patricia Jaworowicz Initiator Yes/Aye
    Thomas Johnson Jr. Seconder Yes/Aye
    Jeff Swiatek Seconder Yes/Aye
    Alice Magierski Initiator Yes/Aye
    James Rogowski Initiator Yes/Aye
    Richard Zydel Initiator Yes/Aye

Document Body

WHEREAS, there is a vacancy in the position of General Crew Chief in the Sanitation Department; and

WHEREAS, such position was duly posted in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement between the Town of Cheektowaga and the Town of Cheektowaga Supervisory Unit; and

WHEREAS, applicants for said position were duly interviewed; and

WHEREAS, Frank Max, Jr. applied for said position and has all of the qualifications for General Crew Chief; NOW THEREFORE BE IT

RESOLVED, that Frank Max, Jr., of Cheektowaga, New York, be and hereby is appointed General Crew Chief in the Sanitation Department, effective January 1, 2008, in accordance with the terms of the collective bargaining agreement with the Town of Cheektowaga Supervisory Unit.

Why doesn't Angela submit a letter from at least one private company stating they are willing to bid on the services as presently provided?

I'm guessing its because she can't. Surely she can prove that wrong before we expense all those resources.

I gets lots of calls, regular mail, and email from people trying to sell me their services. I don't think willing sanitation business need to be kissed to get them to come forward.

The more they don't the more this looks like an underhanded way to try to reduce services. The majority of voters have already spoken on the matter.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Why doesn't Angela submit a letter from at least one private company stating they are willing to bid on the services as presently provided?

I'm guessing its because she can't. Surely she can prove that wrong before we expense all those resources.

I gets lots of calls, regular mail, and email from people trying to sell me their services. I don't think willing sanitation business need to be kissed to get them to come forward.

The more they don't the more this looks like an underhanded way to try to reduce services. The majority of voters have already spoken on the matter.
    I think Angela would need a second person on the board to start the process. Isn't that how it works to get the ball rolling for a request to bid?

The majority of voters were mislead with election material. I'm surprised you didn't receive any. The community was told they run an efficient sanitation department along with working in the community's best interest. FRom the foil reports it looks like it's not efficient if you can run a democratic social club while costing the community 20% + more than other surrounding communities.

Riddle me this nogods.

Why are basically defending how our town is ran while we pay some the highest property taxes in Erie County?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information