Parent Need to be accountable...

Donn esmonde buffalo news parents

He has a point....
    Parents need to be accountable

Teacher evaluation buffalo new

That is a lot of school to miss. You can't hold that against the teachers

Parenting

That's a cop-out.

The truth is that the Buffalo schools have a large population of students without parents who care about their education. Jumping up and down, hollering and screaming that those parents 'must care" isn't going to get those kids educated. All it will do is create another generation of poorly educated parents who won't care about their kids getting an education.

We need to find a way to educate the kids with parents who don't care. Either that or we need to take those children from their existing parents and find them parents that do care about their education.

But insisting that the existing non-caring parents start caring about their children's education is worthless lip flapping.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    But insisting that the existing non-caring parents start caring about their children's education is worthless lip flapping.
    And you can't hold that against the teachers...

Yes, I'd agree about the lip-flapping. Making teachers the ones solely accountable is not a solution. Yes, the nut that nobody has really cracked is how to educate kids who don't care from parents who themselves are poorly educated. If someone has done that successfully (and charters have not accomplished this either, they just punt the bad scorers back to BPS), I'd love to see how they did it and on what scale and what measure of improvement at what cost.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Is there a solution? Or could it be past that point. If the parents themselves won't take interest with their own kids what are you supposed to do.

Honestly, I have thought about this issue at some length. Certainly dumping more money in won't fix the problem. Taking money out will not likely make the problem substantially worse. So here's the question. Suppose you cut that budget in half to 400M. If the money were going to go to the community to create growth, incentives and etc., I would not entirely be against this. But if the money is going to get funneled out via charter schools and not return to the community then that is a tragedy of epic proportions. Kids respond to adult interest, regardless of whether it is parental. So at least there is some possibility to mentor in the existing system. However, don't expect under current guidelines for grad rates to skyrocket. We have to set realistic expectations of what people can achieve with support at home. Based on this we may be able to examine what is effective teaching.

Possible solutions include,
    1) getting kids to care by linking schools with internship programs before degree granting and possible employment after degree granting
    2) boarding schools
    3) returning the local diploma
    There are probably more that I can't think of at the moment.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post

1) getting kids to care by linking schools with internship programs before degree granting and possible employment after degree granting
    2) boarding schools
    How does the local diploma make a difference?

Essentially eases the requirement for a diploma. Then Regents courses could be made rigorous once again instead of dumbing it down for everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Is there a solution? Or could it be past that point. If the parents themselves won't take interest with their own kids what are you supposed to do.
    "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." The solution, get em to Jesus! Only He can help.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    We need to find a way to educate the kids with parents who don't care. Either that or we need to take those children from their existing parents and find them parents that do care about their education.

Carl P shared the same thoughts during the election and people called him racist. What does that make you?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    That's right, Carl did mention a boarding school concept and people jumped on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post

2) boarding schools

I think the #1 goal would be to first create public schools where a kid from a sound family who wants to get an education...is able to get a sound education in the COB.

So if teachers do not want kids who do not show up for class to be removed from the scoring formula...get some guys and just say the kids should be removed from the schools completely. Put them in a transitional school or a room with padded walls. Who cares...the result is going to be the same anyways. If they decided to show up..give them help to get them back into the regular classroom.

What needs to end is the public con that public school teachers care about every kid having access to a public education. We all know it to be false so stop lying about it.

Thread Information