Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HUD denies housing post to Polanski

Tony Fracasso - Admin

HUD denies housing post to Polanski

HUD denies housing post to Polanski

Well-paying haven for departing Lackawanna mayors won't be this time, at least till '13

Updated: December 30, 2011, 10:19 AM
    The Lackawanna Municipal Housing Authority has been a soft landing spot for previous departing Lackawanna mayors.
    But that won't be the case with current Mayor Norman L. Polanski Jr. -- at least until 2013.

The federal Department of Housing and Urban Development has denied a request that would have allowed the LMHA to hire Polanski as the authority's executive director at the completion of his term as mayor.

The authority's board of commissioners asked HUD in October to waive a required one-year waiting period for the mayor to be considered for the director's post, which has an $82,000 annual salary.

But HUD's Buffalo office decided last week to deny the request, determining that the board had failed to make the case that Polanski was the only person qualified for the job.

"They did not present enough justification for why Polanski would be the best person to become [executive director] of the agency," said Joan K. Spilman, Buffalo field office director for HUD.
    Read the Full Story in Buffalo's #1 News Paper

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I don't know if he is qualified or not but it is about time people start realizing patronage in WNY needs to end. Just because someone slaps a title on someone doesn't instantly qualify them for a position. People have to wake up and demand that choices should be made in our community's best interest not the political parties best interest.

But HUD's Buffalo office decided last week to deny the request, determining that the board had failed to make the case that Polanski was the only person qualified for the job.

"They did not present enough justification for why Polanski would be the best person to become [executive director] of the agency," said Joan K. Spilman, Buffalo field office director for HUD.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    In Lackawanna, the mayor has the power to appoint commissioners to the Housing Authority board, and Polanski appointed five of the seven commissioners during his eight-year tenure, which concludes Saturday. The two other commissioners were elected by tenants.

Some tenants and critics of Polanski cried foul over the waiver request, saying that it was unethical for commissioners who owed their appointment to the mayor to then hire him as executive director.
    If the man isn't qualified (I'm not saying he is or not) or there is clearly a more qualified choice put your foot and don't be crapped on. The tenants owe no one a favor especially our political parties in Erie County.

If those same tenants know of a qualified person for that position let us know so we can follow along.

100K a year... what a waste!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Andrea?

Cath?

Do the tenants have anyone in mind that is truly qualified and would be an asset in that position? AND is that position really required in the first place? I don't know so I'm asking.

Regardless of who the tenants want they really do not have a say in who gets the job. The job is filled by the authority's Board of Directors all mostly appointed by Polanski. The tenants petitioned HUD to not waive the 1 year requirement for elected officials and HUD complied with their wishes but after the 1 year wait passes he will be right back into play! Maybe they should petiton HUD to make it a 5 year rule instead? This way it benifits the City of Lackawanna and other municipalities from overzealous political hacks who think they are entitiled to everything!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
    Regardless of who the tenants want they really do not have a say in who gets the job. The job is filled by the authority's Board of Directors all mostly appointed by Polanski. The tenants petitioned HUD to not waive the 1 year requirement for elected officials and HUD complied with their wishes but after the 1 year wait passes he will be right back into play! Maybe they should petiton HUD to make it a 5 year rule instead? This way it benifits the City of Lackawanna and other municipalities from overzealous political hacks who think they are entitiled to everything!
    I got a better idea. Work on getting rid of the "the authority's Board of Directors"

I agree. The LMHA has been in need of change for years! Unfortunately, it has been controlled by the same political patronage system that infilitrates every aspect of the City of Lackawanna and its school system. Good luck with that one! Maybe a couple more bad reviews by HUD will help!

Why don't we just have a county HUD board? Why do we need more than 1?

Dougles I don't think you mean HUD I think you mean housing authorities? Correct? Duplication of services is one governments greatest inventions! It keeps the patronage going! For instance,why not have one school district or just 2 or 3? Why do we need 50 or 60? Simple J-O-B-S for friends and family!
    Last edited by bluethunder; December 30th, 2011 at 05:04 PM.

What's the difference? Why do we need two different groups, one to oversee free housing and one to oversee govt funded housing?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    DOUGLES! haven't I taught you anything? Nothing is free. There is always someone else working to pay for it all.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I don't know if he is qualified or not but it is about time people start realizing patronage in WNY needs to end. Just because someone slaps a title on someone doesn't instantly qualify them for a position. People have to wake up and demand that choices should be made in our community's best interest not the political parties best interest.
    Well said sir!
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Talking I can't stop chuckling over this one!

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post

Need a good laugh? The LA City Grapevine hasn't stopped wiping their eyes yet:
    They painted the office and had already bought him a new desk for his grand entrance on 01-02-2012 at LMHA too!
    And was prancing around in "HIS" new office at the Lackawanna Municipal Housing Authorities annual XMAS party recently.

P.S. There was NOTHING wrong with the practically new desk they replaced for him. He probably just did not want to sit where the ED who would not patronize him sat.

Maybe the old desk was broken when Radich tried stuffing all that buyout money he got in the drawers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information