Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Geneology in WNY

!

WE (WNYEC) could use a Genealogy club all it takes are a few like minded people with same goals and interest, with a a few rules, guidelines, dues and then a place to meet and a place to keep gathered info to share among club members....later on club news letters or quarterly club reports. Elections of board members to run the club with elections held 2-3 times per year etc....Call the club the ( WNY & EC 7 Counties Genealogy Club)...just thinking openly.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Riven,

I've been reading the ancestry.com message boards regarding Erie County and their seems to be many people on there willing to do look-ups for other people. If you need help researching, you can try there. You don't need a paid subscription to post.
    http://boards.ancestry.com/localitie...s.erie/mb.ashx

Also the surname board on the message board front page-
    http://boards.ancestry.com/

or you can browse the archives of the rootsweb.com mailing list for NY-Erie
    http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/NYERIE/

or search that mailing list archive-
    http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...ch?path=NYERIE

or browse the NY-Western list
    http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...ex/NY-WESTERN/

or search NY-Western
    http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...ath=NY-WESTERN

Georgia L Schlager

!

Hey I've been on ancestry since 2003, I do look ups on there LOL my screen name is riven37 LOL Any way I don't pay for Ancestry because I found most everything at LDS except for Europe info. I have many, many threads posted and little replies for some reason people don't look in WNY for my family name.

It has been hard and I have been stuck (wall) on my GF and his father but I've lost some interest in the hunt. Any way, you don't think starting up a WNY Genea club is a good idea. The only one I know of is out of Hamburge but the dues are paid which goes to another state. My idea is local, here, you come to meetings not pay your membership to another state.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Riven,

I've been reading the ancestry.com message boards regarding Erie County and their seems to be many people on there willing to do look-ups for other people. If you need help researching, you can try there. You don't need a paid subscription to post.
    http://boards.ancestry.com/localitie...s.erie/mb.ashx

Also the surname board on the message board front page-
    http://boards.ancestry.com/

or you can browse the archives of the rootsweb.com mailing list for NY-Erie
    http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/NYERIE/

or search that mailing list archive-
    http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...ch?path=NYERIE

or browse the NY-Western list
    http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...ex/NY-WESTERN/

or search NY-Western
    http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...ath=NY-WESTERN
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

If you have ancestors from Western New York who enlisted in the Civil War, the Western New York Civil War records are now on ancestry.

New York, Town Clerks' Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War, ca 1861-1865

It's interesting to find where they traveled and some of the battles their regiments were in during their time of service.

Georgia L Schlager

sources I have used

1) old people .grandparents great aunts and uncles. they may have funeral memorials,family bibles. important papers like deeds wills marriage licenses
    2) National archives pension records , military records, nationalization records.
    3) Library of congress has many church records and books about many families I found a few that were written about old families in my tree
    4) Dar Library ( daughters of the revolution) and the Dar bible records.
    5) town records county records these include vital records, deeds, will, probate and surrogate records
    6)newspapers. many towns had local newspapers check with the town historian to find out where to find these old newspapers. city papers like the news and courier don't just look for obits they help but many more articles could be there
    7) churches. check out the church records and the church cemetery. If you can find your relative grave take note of who is buried near them.some times many generations can be found in one cemetery. if you do find other names like your ancestor go back and check the church records again. this has broken three or four of my dead ends open.
    8) Internet sites. I placed this last because you need to get back 70 or 80 years to reach many public records. the farther back you get the better the chance to find a tree member someone else has researched for you. also you want a real good trusted base to your tree to make it easier to confirm any new information you find. and watch out for a certain religious site that likes to add many wives to families whose religion bans multiple wives. If three John smiths lived in a town they might combine all three and just give him more wives. double check everything you find it may not all be correct.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

This is what I found about my great grandfather's brother using that link-

16 Jan 1861 –Enlisted
    20 Jan 1862-Mustered in 78th Infantry, Company E

PO address Clarence Center, NY
    Served with Regiment in Pope, VA, with McClellan in MD, with Hooker in Chancellorsville and Pensa Campaign and with Mead to the Rappahannock. Then transferred to the Army of the Cumberland at Stevenson, AL.

16 Jan 1864- Re-enlistment
    12 Jul 1864- Mustered in 102nd Infantry, Company K
    21 Jul 1865 – Mustered out of service, Alexandria, VA

After re-enlisting was in Sherman’s Campaign through Georgia to Savannah and from there to the surrender of Johnston, from there went with Sherman’s army to Washington and mustered out of service near Washington, DC. Discharge PO Clarence Center, NY
    I just thought it was interesting as before I found this, all I had was a copy of his enlistment in 1864. Did not know he had enlisted 3 years earlier.

My dad would have been 101 this year. He has one younger 80 year old cousin left. She and I collaborate.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    I have been doing my Genealogy for many, many years and no I do not pay for Ancestry.com Website. I have found everything in census records at the Library and at the LDS. What I can't find and here is where Ancestry.com comes into play is other people links and ship records or land records. Our own Historical Society downtown charges too much money to look through there records.

Also there is really no local Genealogy group other than the one in Hamburg NY again your dues go out of state ? I never understood that at all. I know there is a east side genealogy group only facing on people living on the east side like Broadway area etc.. But we really don't have a good local Gena club here at all.

Anyway with this all said I guess Linda-D your main point is MONEY paying for general information through Ancestry.com. It is easier to start up a Gena group then trade info with Ancestry.com in stead of paying for but this takes many, many years of collecting and years of leg work to build a nice data base to trade with. After 20 years of Genealogy work I still have only gone back as far as my grandparents but I still have years of more work to be done. I may need to pay for a professional to help me finish my genea work before I die.

Note: It is 3:30 AM any misspelling sue me
    WNYGS does NOT send the dues out of state (they are the "one in Hamburg"); It just happens the woman who does the dues is living in the midwest. There are meetings monthly. They also staff the Grosvener Room of genealogical material at the BECPL downtown.

There is an archive for the City of Buffalo records over on (I believe) Hertel. if not Hertel, it is on Amherst. Black Rock area. Contact Vital Records at City Hall for info.

The LDS family center is on Maple in Williamsville. You can also check them online at familysearch.

Online, rootsweb used to be free. Try it. Also, go to NARA for Library of Congress records (very useful for military; I found draft cards, civil war records, and other items). Google your ancestor...you might get lucky.

Writing or e-mailing town historians and town clerks often will get your records, esp. if you give them a small donation. (Do you give you time freely to get someone info? Why should they?)

**If you use Ancestry ( and even LDS) beware people often have NO citations for anything and just write in what they "think" is correct.** I had one nitwit contact me to tell me her "leaf" said her family was in NYC and she knew they were in the midwest. No, it was my family and I have records to prove it ( how many families come back over 1000 miles to have a child baptized -- not only 1, but 3, in different years.... plus, her spouse was wrong and the the parent a misspelling of her name. Blame Ancestry and "the leaf".

DO NOT accept as proof a census either: mispellings and incorrect info are rampant: the county took the census and copied it for the state; the state copied for the federal govt. That is 3X for errors. The censuses online are the Federal. If yo can go to the county where the census was taken, you get the original. Even the NYS copy is better ( you can go to the NYS Library in Albany; there is also the NYSHA in Cooperstown (they cost))

For area-specific research, go to the location. You will have to pay for the photocopies and fees can be steep.

If you actually want the info, it is of worth. BTW, I got back to 1636 with my husband's family when we hit a person on the AGBI. We were floored. Knew nothing about the lineage. I have gotten back to 1750 in Ireland thru a cousin who is still friends with the family there: lots of info in the heritage centers. Also, look up Griffiths valuation list and censuses online.

If you only have 2 generations in 20 years, try the SSDI. You find the grandparents, you can order the original forms and the parents name are on that. (Yeah, it will cost you.) BTW, originally SS was optional, so I cannot find any of my grandparents.

Just an FYI. On the www.NARA.gov site, they have the 1940 census emuneration district maps. The maps list land owners of the larger properties like farms.

If you go here- http://www.archives.gov/research/arc/ and type in the search box

1940 census maps town county state example 1940 census maps eden erie ny

Then you click on the link that the search found.

The Details tab will be highlighted. Go to the right 2 tabs to digital copies.

Georgia L Schlager

Look for me at ancestry same name as here but the number is different. I do look ups and travels to the library for out of towners.
    Riven37
    _________

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    Hey I've been on ancestry since 2003, I do look ups on there LOL my screen name is riven37 LOL Any way I don't pay for Ancestry because I found most everything at LDS except for Europe info. I have many, many threads posted and little replies for some reason people don't look in WNY for my family name.

It has been hard and I have been stuck (wall) on my GF and his father but I've lost some interest in the hunt. Any way, you don't think starting up a WNY Genea club is a good idea. The only one I know of is out of Hamburge but the dues are paid which goes to another state. My idea is local, here, you come to meetings not pay your membership to another state.
    How far back does one go?? We got to 1640 then hit a brick wall. Hell I would have been satisfied with 1900.

It depends on your family line. My half sister I was able to reach back to 1540 for her. However, for my own family I only gone back to 1845 then hit several walls but I was able to go further on my branch lines (aunts and uncles). Again, it depends on your family history. If you had no members in the military, own homes, businesses etc…..it will be harder to look up. Also, the changing of family names poses a big issues for some researcher, its mostly luck and if one has money like those famous people on the TV show travel place to place helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    How far back does one go?? We got to 1640 then hit a brick wall. Hell I would have been satisfied with 1900.
    Riven37
    _________

It takes a lot of time and patience to look up genealogy. I see that Ancestry.com has people that will do it for you, for a price. I wonder how much?
    Anyway, I didn't get very far on Ancestry.com. I don't have a lot to go on.

I don't pay for that site never will too expensive. Besides I have the NY Regimental Unit access to all who fought from NY, not just NYS but all of NYS. Works well. I was just doing CW research...Oh for GP, it cost $75.00 100 pages from the national archives + 69. cent for any extra pages.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    If you have ancestors from Western New York who enlisted in the Civil War, the Western New York Civil War records are now on ancestry.

New York, Town Clerks' Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War, ca 1861-1865

It's interesting to find where they traveled and some of the battles their regiments were in during their time of service.
    Riven37
    _________

Physical group

When I made my last post on my topic need for a WNYEC Genealogy group my reason was for a physical group to meet with like minded people to help each others something like they have in Hamburg NY. Not just to use the online sites which Ancestry is too expensive for me and other family builders.
    Riven37
    _________

If you have a Buffalo and Erie County Public Library card, log in on their site and they have Heritage Quest Online and a few others...

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    Has anyone used ancestry.com to do geneological research? I started a trial membership and I'm not sure that I will pay to keep it because I think that their database only contains the last census record for a first name/surname.

I have found both of my parents' families on the 1930 census, but ancestry.com doesn't seem to have their 1920 or 1910 census records. I know my father's parents permanently entered the US on July 19, 1905 at Ellis Island. I have copies of their records from the ship's manifest, so I even know the name of the ship that they came on. However, they are not in ancestry.com's 1910 or 1920 census records.

The same with my mother's family. Although I don't have the exact dates on when they arrived in the US, my grandfather came between 1910 and 1913, so he should be in the 1920 census. He's not. My grandmother came to the US in 1919 or 1920. She's not anywhere, either, until 1930.

I suppose if all you want to do is find names and birthdates/places, I guess ancestry.com is okay, but I'm looking for more than that. Census records contain tons of information. The 1930 census asks respondents if they owned a radio and if they were employed in the past year. It also gives their race, their naturalization status, their ages when married, and occupation. One interesting thing that I found out about my father's family is that one of my aunts and uncles rented the apartment in their house to a black couple as well as took in two of my single uncles as boarders. Italians and blacks living on the same block or in the same house wasn't all that uncommon in the Ellicott District as I found a several black families among the Italians on this aunt and uncle's street.

Both families moved around alot. My father's family moved from Seneca Street in Buffalo to Niagara Falls (my dad was born there in 1918) to at least 2 different farms in North Collins (unless the roads had different names then). My mother's family moved around Black Rock and Grant/Amherst prior to 1950: Clay, Churchill, Kail Streets, and then Greeley and then Marion. The family folklore says that my grandmother was a little Polish real estate flipper who bought houses and then sold them to buy better houses. She ended up a grocery store proprietor. If I have to drive into Buffalo or use inter-library loan to get the rest of the census data, then I can't see paying $150 plus for ancestry.com for a year.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information