Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain Check Buffalo - This is cool

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    is it safe to drink rain water collected in those barrels?
    Probably better to use it for watering the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Call me slow if you'd like but how is the storm water system suddenly so overwhelmed in a city that has seen its population drop 50% in 50 years.
    Who said it was sudden?
    It's not just the city population. It also processes waste from the suburbs.
    Also the system is probably 80 years old. It's not something that gets better with age.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Who said it was sudden?
    It's not just the city population. It also processes waste from the suburbs.
    Also the system is probably 80 years old. It's not something that gets better with age.
    So they've been "giving away" rain barrels all these 50 years? Of course not or we would've heard it by now. And if the system is handling waste from the suburbs (and it doesn't handle it from the one I live in because we have our own plant) so what? The population of the city has fallen 50% in the last 50 years and the suburbs feeding into the system haven't gotten all that population. As is commonly known hundreds of thousands have moved far away. So the city ignored its infrastructure for 80 years? There's news for anyone driving downtown. Who's getting the payola? You ignored that part of my post.

So they've been "giving away" rain barrels all these 50 years? Of course not or we would've heard it by now. And if the system is handling waste from the suburbs (and it doesn't handle it from the one I live in because we have our own plant) so what? The population of the city has fallen 50% in the last 50 years and the suburbs feeding into the system haven't gotten all that population. As is commonly known hundreds of thousands have moved far away. So the city ignored its infrastructure for 80 years? There's news for anyone driving downtown. Who's getting the payola? You ignored that part of my post.
    When those running the city think it's moe important to provide do nothing jobs for half wit friends and family than it is to keep ones infrastructure modern, the infrastructure is bound to suffer. And don't expect the friends and family to fix it because they're half wits.

Probably better to use it for watering the yard.
    Yes, but I was wondering if it could be used as an emergency water source without the need to filter or boil. If so, it would make sense for everyone to have several barrels to collect rain water for emergency needs.

Welcome to the City of Good Neighbors! You've probably heard that some cities have a working sewer system. We go beyond that and give you a barrel. What's next? Pitching your sh*t out the window like 15th century France?

I think there are laws that prevent selling our water outside the area.
    This is to protect the Great Lakes from being drained for places like California.
    I didn't say anything about the Great Lakes; it was a suggestion to use the rain water and melted snow mentioned in the ad campaign.

I found this on the NYC website for its rain barrel program:

Your rain barrel is a UV-protected, food grade container, so it is made of a denser plastic than other barrels.

Stored rainwater is not potable water and should not be used for drinking, cooking, or bathing.

Do not drink stored rainwater and do not use the rain barrel to store drinking water.

Do not use stored rainwater for pets.
    I wonder if that advisory is because it is collected from the gutters. Would the same advisory apply if the rain water was just collected from the open sky in one of those food grade barrels?

I have a number of survival water filters that would get me through most water disruption periods if need be, but it would be a good idea for everyone who can to collect portable rain water for emergency use, and that would also help with the sewer issue.

Welcome to the City of Good Neighbors! You've probably heard that some cities have a working sewer system. We go beyond that and give you a barrel. What's next? Pitching your sh*t out the window like 15th century France?
    The City on the Great Lake with the Niagara River and Niagara Falls in it's backyard providing an overabundance of water that Californians can only dream of, allows human waste to pollute it's shores, as it's "Water Authority" exists to mainly serve as a venue for Friends and Families of the political class to fatten their bank accounts while shinning their seats on the Board.

You guys are funny. You complain about everything, then stomp on every potential solution that others come up with. What exactly have you contributed to help fix the problem? How is your constant whining and bitching going to improve WNY?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I found this on the NYC website for its rain barrel program:

I wonder if that advisory is because it is collected from the gutters. Would the same advisory apply if the rain water was just collected from the open sky in one of those food grade barrels?

I have a number of survival water filters that would get me through most water disruption periods if need be, but it would be a good idea for everyone who can to collect portable rain water for emergency use, and that would also help with the sewer issue.
    Yeah, probably because they can't guarantee that everyone's roofs and gutters aren't contaminated with something. One person's house might not be that bad, but someone else might have a dead bird in the gutter, or roof shingles that are leaching some sort of chemical. Safer to just say "don't drink it". But it would still be a savings if it were used to water the garden or wash the dog instead of using the pristine water from the faucet for that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    The City on the Great Lake with the Niagara River and Niagara Falls in it's backyard providing an overabundance of water that Californians can only dream of, allows human waste to pollute it's shores, as it's "Water Authority" exists to mainly serve as a venue for Friends and Families of the political class to fatten their bank accounts while shinning their seats on the Board.
    First of all Niagara Falls isn't the same city. It isn't even in the same county! Ca.would have plenty of water if the EPA nazis working for Obama freed up their water supply instead of worrying about some stupid bug that EPA has deemed a national asset. You're right about the city allowing sh*t to pollute its shores. But what's more important...providing a job for your retarded brother in law or making a water supply that can provide jobs and a pleasing environment? The retard brother in law wins here every time.

You guys are funny. You complain about everything, then stomp on every potential solution that others come up with. What exactly have you contributed to help fix the problem? How is your constant whining and bitching going to improve WNY?
    You call that a solution?!? Now that's funny!

What have I contributed? I'll tell you - I contributed a $h1t load of tax dollars!

i'd like the sewers maintained properly.

First of all Niagara Falls isn't the same city. It isn't even in the same county! Ca.would have plenty of water if the EPA nazis working for Obama freed up their water supply instead of worrying about some stupid bug that EPA has deemed a national asset. You're right about the city allowing sh*t to pollute its shores. But what's more important...providing a job for your retarded brother in law or making a water supply that can provide jobs and a pleasing environment? The retard brother in law wins here every time.
    And Buffy, how dare you question the merits of ECWA. I know...Poloncarz' brother is so pathetic that he had to be moved to the Board of Elections. But we should thank the ECWA...for something. They fought like Tigers to prevent the installation of generators to provide water supply after the October storm. It was only after a court ordered them to do it that they (allegedly) installed the generators. It's not at all clear the generators were ever installed.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

I'm promoting the get a free rain barrel program.

I just pointed out you need far more barrels.

I also think the people behind this should be completely realistic and change the 1.28 billion gallons of possible water savings.

Even if 1000 barrels were filled each day that is a total of 55,000 gallons of water. Even if every day for 365 days those barrels were filled and used you would total out with 20,075,000 gallons saved. Is this group using some form of common core math?

I also made a comment about public safety. You don't want the home owners of Buffalo NY getting the runs because they drank unsafe water do you?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information