Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2 Words-Kevin Gaughan

money doesn't mean best

Sometimes it means greed....Where are the best qualified? This board has proven they have NO IDEA. Where should the money be spent Dennis? On adminstators and lawyers or in the classroom. I'd prefer it in the classroom, teachers, books, supplies. Not salaries, stipends, housing allowances, mileage, retiement contributions, buyouts, $185 per hour legal advise, etc.etc.
    Lackawanna teachers are 2nd highest paid in Erie Boces 1. Administrators are in the top 5 if not #1 or 2. Plus, they've added 3 more administrators and think they advertised for a 4th. They spent the money (or should we say wasted). Are they getting results? Either you're not looking at both sides or you just don't want to hear the truth.
    You're right about one thing. It's about educating the children. Key word being educating. That means classrooms, building principles, teachers, aides, librarians, books, computers in class, etc.

"That is the problem in our city they only serve their interests no one elses."

That's what governments have been doing since they first evolved from roving bands of brigands who settled down in one place and invented the protection racket.

Dennis I know you are friends with the board president as you mentioned in other posts. But If they were looking for the best administrators they wouldnt of hired retired supt. and a financial officer that couldnt do her job and needed to hire a someone at 185.00 an hour to do her work. How do you explain that. Then all of a sudden they both resign, and this is after they hired a few more administrators. Talk about friends and family plan. They are laughing all the way to the bank. And you and I are stuck paying for it.

2 Words-Kevin Gaughan

Let's see...RECENTLY retired, experienced, certified, up-to-date "NON-Lackawanna" superintendents...or, RECYCLED Lackawanna born-bred-tenured and TWO STEPS FROM RETIRING Administrators already in the school district? Am I missing something??

What you missed is they quit.... Got their friends a job boosted their pension and now they are gone. Cant wait to see next years budget.

Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    Sometimes it means greed....Where are the best qualified? This board has proven they have NO IDEA. Where should the money be spent Dennis? On adminstators and lawyers or in the classroom. I'd prefer it in the classroom, teachers, books, supplies. Not salaries, stipends, housing allowances, mileage, retiement contributions, buyouts, $185 per hour legal advise, etc.etc.
    Lackawanna teachers are 2nd highest paid in Erie Boces 1. Administrators are in the top 5 if not #1 or 2. Plus, they've added 3 more administrators and think they advertised for a 4th. They spent the money (or should we say wasted). Are they getting results? Either you're not looking at both sides or you just don't want to hear the truth.
    You're right about one thing. It's about educating the children. Key word being educating. That means classrooms, building principles, teachers, aides, librarians, books, computers in class, etc.
    I agree with housing allowances,mileage etc.being costly. I would not have voted on that aspect of it. I still believe you still need to find a qualified individual to run this thing and definately someone from outside the district to change the way of doing things here.I disagree on hiring more aides and the like. Just about every aide on the school board website has some kind of connection to either some one in city government or someone that is connected with the schools.Were these the most qualified people or were they hired because of connections? Were all these aides really needed? Most of this city's school budget goes to salaries and the like hardly any goes toward the real purpose of the budget which is education. I believe they can do more with less. Everybody else is. As far as a lawyer goes I am fine with a law firm handling
    the districts buisness versus just a lawyer.It has greater benifits more flexibilty and greater input from more than just one source. If your worried about padding pensions you need to look at the entire city in general I can name a lot of people already doing it in our government. Why so much concern here all of a sudden?

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    Dennis I know you are friends with the board president as you mentioned in other posts. But If they were looking for the best administrators they wouldnt of hired retired supt. and a financial officer that couldnt do her job and needed to hire a someone at 185.00 an hour to do her work. How do you explain that. Then all of a sudden they both resign, and this is after they hired a few more administrators. Talk about friends and family plan. They are laughing all the way to the bank. And you and I are stuck paying for it.
    How is this friends and family plan did the board know these guys before they hired them?? I don't think so? Heck if I had to deal with what I saw at the school board meeting I'd resign to.Don't blame them one bit.

we keep using the phrase 'qualified'. Who determines that? Please give me an example of one board member that has any experience at hiring a professional. I should say professional educator so bartenders don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by youcangohome View Post
    we keep using the phrase 'qualified'. Who determines that? Please give me an example of one board member that has any experience at hiring a professional. I should say professional educator so bartenders don't count.
    When it comes to hiring why are you bringing up the bartender who has a lot more experience than the stripper!!! Who has made most of the hires in the past?

You just proved my point

Thumbs up

If you wish the Lackawanna School District improved, what is your proposal?

New people who only care about education of our children.Not the same old political people backing new people and controlling them for jobs and things of that nature. I also wouldn't mind seeing the state stepping in and cleaning house either.This district is disfunctional.

Thumbs up

Your statement is a reflection of any person who's running for a school board, "We're here for children and education."

Every time a new person steps in, he/she states the same. Have you read what is a responsibility of a school board member?

According to the Lackawanna school web, http://lackawannaschools.org/1079103...te/default.asp

No its not. You have got to see who is backing who. Old school board members or current members. If you see anyone from the city government backing a candidate do not vote for them. All you have to do is drive by an elected city officials house and see who they support and vote the exact opposite. If there is no other candidates write in your own name. At least you can say you did not vote for none of the above.These city guys are trying to control everything.I think it is time that we the voters stop them.

Thumbs up

Thinking is good. I seems Lackawanna residents need new progressive leadership.

It sounds this year election will have a great turn out because, based on your statement, it's old vs. new. Who's plan is smarter to get the higher number of votes?
    Last edited by zanna vaida; January 11th, 2010 at 02:59 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information