Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Words-Kevin Gaughan

Cool 2 Words-Kevin Gaughan

What a great job he is doing with all of our neighbors to save hard earned tax dollars! I am very proud of him and his group of warriors who " get it " and are doing what I/We attempted to do the past 4 years in Lackawanna.

GO KEVIN!-GO KEVIN!

Giddy-Up and Hurry-Up, WE NEED KEVIN GAUGHAN IN LACKAWANNA-to stop the mismanagement of public funds! People work too hard, if they still have a job,the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, sad to say. Something has to give soon. I made 2 attempts to bring down sizing to a vote and could not get a second or any discussion. I tried to discuss budget restraints repeatedly and they shut me down every meeting!
    Remember Bethlehem's assessment is going down down down---king norm is now desperate for money and will take anything to bail his administration out. Hence slaughter house and Sorrento fiasco.

" Let The People Decide " is Kevin Gaughan's movement and I believe it is up to the people to decide the future direction of THEIR government! Yes there are pros and cons to down-sizing, etc. but it is obvious that what they are doing is not working and we must try Plan B or should I say Plan " K " to Halt their reckless spending of YOUR MONEY! GO KEVIN!

Kevin's Father helped us big time in Lackawanna 20 years ago to fight out the tire-burning plant, and hopefully his Son will soon be helping the Good Citizens of
    Lackawanna fight out greed and ""taxation without representation""!

In fact here is some food for thought, we used to be West Seneca, and remember I told you all that Father Baker fought with the Big Money Steel Tycoons 100 years ago to stop the name of Lackawanna ( a forked river in Pennsylvania) from being put on us......... So how about renaming Lackawanna 100 years later to what Father Baker wanted us to be, (not meant to ever disrespect or dishonor our precious Lackawanna name). We just have so much negativity associated with the name Lackawanna, it is a shame it came to this point because the good people who are from here do not deserve it.

Village of Victoria-ville has a nice ring, don't you think?!

I seem to be in a small minority that thinks what he is doing is good as well.

Post Citizens' Voice!

The boys club has now changed " The Public Comment " section of the City Council meetings to be heard after they vote on city budget items and council members agenda items. Boo--WRONG!

First they should have put it in the paper for real public comment on their plan for changing the time slot for public comment to get a true democratic majority opinion. And then propose it to the public for a vote to change it.

Lackawanna School Board gets it pretty good.....

Really, the boys should have just followed with what the school allows for the public comment section: to speak 5 minutes before the meeting and then 5 minutes afterward. This format really allows people to be heard even though the politicians do not comment on citizen concerns/issues/ questions as a rule.
    The only thing I disagree with is having to sign in to speak, it puts another level of " gag " on citizens.

One thing both Boards do not yet realize is that neither the Lackawanna City Council nor the School Board meetings are THEIR meetings, they are the Citizens meetings about city-school business!

Mr. Gaughan points it out nicely by stating a simple meeting name change, ie. " Town Hall Meeting " to " Town Meeting " makes all the difference to making people feel welcomed and wanting to get involved with THEIR TOWN.
    Do you get it?

" City Meeting " , held by the Lackawanna City Council and Department Heads sounds so much more inviting and less intimidating to citizens who might want to come out.

Many of us think we are stuck too much on " this is the way we've always done it ", and Soooo.....tired of the same old same old,
    ----time to really, CHANGE LACKAWANNA!

Post " Let The People Decide "

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    You are right on Save, except for one thing. The minority are the greedy career politicians who like status quo, NOT people like you, stay tuned. The movement is gaining momentum everyday ---no speed bumps except corrupt politicians and their extended family and friends plan! Mr. Gaughan is ready and has a better plan for we the people, the average Citizens, it is called-------" LET THE PEOPLE DECIDE! "

Whooo Whooo! Get on board! You are on the right train, Save Us! Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    I agree with his theory but not his application.....yes, we must strive to have less government and less bueacracy. But in his quest to reduce representation I have a problem, it's not necesarily the reduction but whether it's adequate and has some basis in logic.

The 2 minus program is not logical nor equal. How can WS (pop 46,000) have two councilman and one supervisor while the smaller town Evans (pop 20,000) have four councilman and one supervisor? There is no rational nor explanation, except for so-called cost savings, for the per capita representation that the 2 minus plan advocates. using only councilmembers, that means WS has 23,000:1, while Evans has 5,000:1 representation.

Now...
    The councilman pay for WS is 22,420. The saved 44,840. That's a annual savings of .97 per capita or roughly $2.44 per houshold.

For what it's worth, I can live with the extra $2.44 a year in taxes for two more councilmembers. if it allows one of the members to hear my plea. I don't like my odds with only two.

On a side note, I wish him welll with the consolidation of these villages. that, imo, makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense View Post
    I agree with his theory but not his application.....yes, we must strive to have less government and less bueacracy. But in his quest to reduce representation I have a problem, it's not necesarily the reduction but whether it's adequate and has some basis in logic.

The 2 minus program is not logical nor equal. How can WS (pop 46,000) have two councilman and one supervisor while the smaller town Evans (pop 20,000) have four councilman and one supervisor? There is no rational nor explanation, except for so-called cost savings, for the per capita representation that the 2 minus plan advocates. using only councilmembers, that means WS has 23,000:1, while Evans has 5,000:1 representation.

Now...
    The councilman pay for WS is 22,420. The saved 44,840. That's a annual savings of .97 per capita or roughly $2.44 per houshold.

For what it's worth, I can live with the extra $2.44 a year in taxes for two more councilmembers. if it allows one of the members to hear my plea. I don't like my odds with only two.

On a side note, I wish him welll with the consolidation of these villages. that, imo, makes sense.
    I tend to think of it as a first step, as you know nothing happens here quickly as the area is Risk and change adverse.

As far as representation goes.. we haven't been doing so well with over 400 elected officials for our region. Personally I don't think it makes a difference, or at least historically it hasn't

The principal and impetus is what I think is important,, not the economics...now reducing our do nothing 240 million dollar a year legislature would be something else.

Ditto on villages!!

Food for thought!

In Lackawanna if a citizen cannot put something on the agenda what do we need any council members for? If a council member puts useless things on the agenda such as increase in price of hunting and fishing lisences instead of certain major items that need to be addressed why do we need a city council? If you will not let people talk before you vote at a "PUBLIC" meeting why do you need a city council? If you will not allow people to participate in government and ask questions and holding you accountable why do we have or need a city council? Sounds like a dictatorship to me not a democracy.I see even Amherst under its new "republican" leadership is doing the same this is wrong.

Post Facts!

That was very good deducing Sense, you are right on in your thinking.
    As I said there are pros and cons to it all, but something has to give.

And the people can't give anymore, they, OUR brilliant young folks are moving out of NY for jobs. It is a fact we all are aware of and the folks left behind are paying the bills for politicians mismanagement of public funds.
    Less government= More accountability! Simple formula, less people to blame and they will have to work smarter AND harder for the people!
    $2.44 might not mean alot to you but I know from experience that it makes a difference to many families if they drink water or have milk in the house. I am not picking a fight it is a sad reality.

I know how much real work the boys do, I would rather have the $2.44 on my taxes.

Some fool in the my view column in Buffalo News the other day actually said if we find good paying jobs for people they will not mind paying higher taxes. I burst out laughing after I read it. I make around 20 bucks an hour my wife around 15. We make do but if she wasn't working would we?A so called living wage law is a joke as to make an honest living in this state you need around 30bucks an hour after taxes etc. Stupid rules and no common sense whatsoever and greedy people are going to ruin this state.

Dennis you are one of the lucky ones making 35 an hr between you and your wife think of the one making 8 an hr. you fond out the more you make the more you spend.

As far as kevin where is the money he saved? Read what others say.

If you down size get ready to pay for it. If there are 10 people in an office take away 2 who dose there work?

I know I am one of the lucky ones.What I meant that 10 bucks an hour isn't alot of money.A real living wage in this state is somewhere around 20 bucks an hour for a family and that is even cutting it close. I watch my money and spend it wisely. If I wanted to I could buy a better house maybe a newer car but I do not. A living wage works to a point but if it is mandated say at Mcdonald's,stores etc. it will drive up prices for the rest of us who haven't had a wage increase. I used to work in several grocery stores when I was younger I even worked three jobs at one time to get a decent return at the end of the week.When I worked at the grocery stores anytime the state mandated a minimum wage increase on the day it went into effect I was handed a list of price changes and told to change the existing prices in the store. They went up mostly 15 to 25 cents depending on the item.So what I am saying is mandated living wages may sound great but in reality everyone eventually will pay a higher price.The people who already make higher than the living wage will eventually make less after price increases etc. Is this fair? The best way to get a better wage is through a better education or job training progams. I would rather spend the money doing that and it will benifit most in the long run.

I am not completly sold on downsizing it is relatively new and hasn't been proven yet. There are other ways to save money such as consolidating departments things of that nature.If you can do both you will save money and make government more efficent by reducing bureaucracy.

I agree it should be done. but I'M in my late 60's and can think of 3 times it was tried before. The same problem " I can't do the work of two people" and that was in the 70 when people worked for a living. now days they can't do the work of ONE unless it for dobble the pay.

Down sizeing does not work. You take someone out someone has to step in. Look at the fire dep. they cut them to the bone, now there is a fire they have to call in help. Then yell about overtime. Or better yet call in buffalo or some one elce and pay them top dollar for there help

I rember Blasdell police being run by Hamburg police. That did not last long it cost to much and took to long to get help.

Just to repeat what I have said ad nauseum--for the area with the most expensive government in the country to focus on the cheapest branch of the cheapest form of government is a huge mistake.

Follow the money.

http://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=589967

Abolish NYS Government!

I sure am looking at this closely now. Look at the reform shake up in Buffalo. Sure needs to spill over into the neighboring towns. Lancaster is getting worse and worse. They do need a shake up. I think they chased Kevin out of town.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information