Thread: The Best You Can Remember.

The Best You Can Remember.

As I think about the Town Board members that I can remember, I have a hard time thinking that anyone was really spectacular... someone that I truly wish could be cloned.

It seems that many on this forum have better knowledge and/or stronger opinions than I when it comes to things like this.

Who - in your opinion - was the BEST Amherst Town Board member, and why?

Townsfolk
    Quote Originally Posted by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|
    As I think about the Town Board members that I can remember, I have a hard time thinking that anyone was really spectacular... someone that I truly wish could be cloned.

It seems that many on this forum have better knowledge and/or stronger opinions than I when it comes to things like this.

Wojo because he was a true gentleman and a professional and he did his best to work with everyone on the board. He never argued or attacked anyone. Most people don't know this, but he was snubbed by the Republican Party because he voted against a development project initiated by a major developer who contributed to the Republican Party. As I recall, the residents, namely seniors, opposed the project. He received numerous calls from indivuals at the time asking him to vote against the project. He did exactly what the citizens asked him to do and the Republicans nailed him on it. Instead, we got O'L, the do-nothing wind bag!

Jane Woodward may not be the best, but she was the most intelligent. And she was the only one who could put Ward in his place.

Grelick was the best embassador for the town. She always acted in the best interests of the WHOLE town. She could put her own interests and preferences aside and act accordingly. With her, Amherst came first! She believed in finding the best people for the job, and letting them DO their job. She never micromanaged, she never second guessed. This town ran smoothly under her administration, no easy task with politics rearing its ugly head, even in her own party and against her. She worked very hard to build a concensus, she ALWAYS answered any email, phone call or letter. She was honest, tried her best and if she couldn't resolve an issue, she said so. She was always gracious, polite and professional.

Wojo was an honest man.....he had no place on the Town Board.

Hal Collier was a scrapper, but he got the job done.

Townsfolk
    Quote Originally Posted by etc
    Grelick was the best embassador for the town. She always acted in the best interests of the WHOLE town. She could put her own interests and preferences aside and act accordingly. With her, Amherst came first! She believed in finding the best people for the job, and letting them DO their job. She never micromanaged, she never second guessed. This town ran smoothly under her administration, no easy task with politics rearing its ugly head, even in her own party and against her. She worked very hard to build a concensus, she ALWAYS answered any email, phone call or letter. She was honest, tried her best and if she couldn't resolve an issue, she said so. She was always gracious, polite and professional.
    Very well stated. She always was and will continue to be a class act!

Quote Originally Posted by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|

Peggy Santillo. Taking on the powers that be didn't seem to scare her. And she seemed pretty darn honest to me.

Jack Sharpe, Jane Woodward, Grelick, Brewer & Wojo, in that order were the best! Presently, I'd have to say that Kindle takes the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf
    Jack Sharpe, Jane Woodward, Grelick, Brewer & Wojo, in that order were the best! Presently, I'd have to say that Kindle takes the lead.
    Interesting. I would never put both Sharpe and Wojo in the same category. What is is about thopse two that raise them to the level of 'among the best'? Also, would a board full of Sharpes (or Woodwards, or Grelicks, etc) be effective at anything? And, if anyone's interested (probably not!) I happen to think that Sharpe was the right person in his time... but would not be effective in today's environment.

Obviously, I am a big fan of Jack Sharpe.

I do agree that he was better suited as the Supervisor of a growing Town of Amherst rather than of the present, almost fully grown, Town. Jack would have difficulty interacting peacefully with the bunch that is so supportive of Mohan and I don't think that he would be able to build consensus with the current Board We all know how he got along (or didn't) with Ward and Kindel. One can only imagine what the "chemistry" would be with Schratz, Bucki and O'Loughlin (can you spell "dynamite"?).

I think that Woodward was the best Board Member that I've seen. She was always prepared and wasn't afraid to stand up in support of her position. Perhaps she was a bit too political but there's no question that she always had the Town first and foremost in her efforts on the Board.

I am somewhat confused by the praise being heaped on Wojo. I'll grant you that he was always there to cut a ribbon, shake a hand or be in a picture but he really never accomplished anything in the 4 years that he was on the Board. I am unaware of any resolutions that he championed or changes that he effected. He rarely spoke and generally voted with Woodward and Grelick.

Grelick was the best promoter that the Town ever had (with Sharpe a close second). She was also among the hardest working public officials the Town has ever seen. Unfortunately, she was not equipped to deal well with adversity nor was she able to control a meeting effectively.

Brewer was out of his element and wasn't around long enough for me to have an opinion one way or another.

Larry Southwick did a decent job as did Lynn Millane.
    Bring Back Jack!

[B]Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001:[/B]
    Peggy Santillo. Taking on the powers that be didn't seem to scare her. And she seemed pretty darn honest to me.
    A sure sign that Peggy was all that & more was the way Dan Ward treated her because she was/is intelligent, articulate, and a strong individual. I see a pattern with regard to Dan Ward's treatment of intelligent, articulate & strong women. He acts as though he is threatened by such women & tries to stay away from them if possible & if not, he launches attacks on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Green
    A sure sign that Peggy was all that & more was the way Dan Ward treated her because she was/is intelligent, articulate, and a strong individual. I see a pattern with regard to Dan Ward's treatment of intelligent, articulate & strong women. He acts as though he is threatened by such women & tries to stay away from them if possible & if not, he launches attacks on them.
    Interesting. I'd sort of heard that about Ward before, but I try to ignore EVERYTHING I hear about Ward because it is just a waste of my remaining brain cells.

But I'm glad to hear someone else out there liked Peggy. She had to face down a lot of jerks.....

Careful what you say about Dan Ward. Dan Ward's campaign people will come out swinging like they did about a few posts appearing on the Ward blog
    yesterday that they obviously weren't happy about & wanted to divert attention from. Take a look yourselves at today's 11:36 a.m. & 11:40 a.m. posts, with more to come I'm sure. I'm going to pay a little more attention to the posts from yesterday if they upset the Ward Camp to this degree.
    http://danwarddanwarddanward.blogspot.com/

Read this on another site, but sure does apply here:
    Anyone remember the blizzard of 77?

Jack Sharpe was in the Town hall for 7 straight days of the blizzard; answering calls and calling Council members for votes on emergency measures.

Hal Collier was at the highway department for 7 days.

Pat Lucey had the Town clean in3 days.

Madden & brownrout maned the Council phiones for 3 days around the clock.

Chief Zimmerman had 12 hour patrols going.

Every fire company helped the citizens .... and look at what we have now .... not one person, EXCEPT BILLY OH! knows what the hell to do!

Give the old days back!

Thread Information