Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very disappointing.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Very disappointing.

Tim Hortons gets OK, over objections in Cheektowaga

A new Tim Hortons coffee shop will be built in the Town of Cheektowaga, over the objections of some nearby residents and most of the Town Board.Plans for the shop at 829 Dick Road were voted down last month by the Town Board, which sided with residents worried about the shop bringing more traffic to the already-congested roadway.But the board had to revisit the project due to a procedural error during that vote, and last week it approved the site plan and special use permit.“I’m very disappointed that I wasn’t able to follow through for the residents on what they wanted, because they live in that area,” said Supervisor Diane Benczkowski.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...ime=1472168970

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Let them sue. Put Ralph in his place. Did he come talk to our board and talk about conservative party endorsements seeing this was allowed to happen?

I'd rather see $65k spent on this and protecting the people's quality of life in that area instead of defending some sexual harassment crap by our "friends and family" group of town employees...

“We did not have a defense for a potential lawsuit against the town if we did not approve the project,” she said.
    Wasn't zoned properly and that is why a variance was needed. Correct? The drive through issue?

Councilman James P. Rogowski said he’s wasn’t necessarily in favor of a Tim Hortons at the site, but approved it from the beginning because it conformed with all town regulations.
    So why was a variance needed then?

The Stamms own six local Tim Hortons locations and have plans for two more – the $1.5 million Dick Road location and a $3 million retail space and coffee shop at Union and Indian Church roads in West Seneca.
    Are these the people who own the one next to my shop?

About half the land will be reserved as “perpetual greenspace,” he said, and any trees knocked down will be replaced. The town requires a drive-thru to handle at least 16 vehicles, but this one will accommodate 26.
    YOu can't replace old trees with crappy looking trees.

Are they going to continually clean up the trash their customers drop in the parking lot?

Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Just an outsiders opinion but 829 Dick Road is a major four land road in the town. It's less than 800 feet from an exit of the 33 and 1800 feet from an entrance. The property itself backs up to rail tracks. The 33 was constructed like 60 years ago. It just seems naive to me that some people think this particular location should be anything but a commercial parcel. Going further, a business like Tim Hortons is the most probable of the commercial options.

Did the people who purchased homes around this parcel fail to see the 33? Did they fail to understand the environment around where they purchased?

Or did they expect this to turn into a country lane at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Just an outsiders opinion but 829 Dick Road is a major four land road in the town. It's less than 800 feet from an exit of the 33 and 1800 feet from an entrance. The property itself backs up to rail tracks. The 33 was constructed like 60 years ago. It just seems naive to me that some people think this particular location should be anything but a commercial parcel. Going further, a business like Tim Hortons is the most probable of the commercial options.

Did the people who purchased homes around this parcel fail to see the 33? Did they fail to understand the environment around where they purchased?

Or did they expect this to turn into a country lane at some point?
    NO ONE thinks this property should be anything BUT commercial, the traffic delays caused by the "Tim Hortons effect" in WNY is the problem. if the tim hortons was in the middle of wegmans parking lot, NO one would oppose it, but the location that was chosen in an area that is highly congested for all the reason you listed in your post, makes it a poor choice as far as SAFETY goes, it may not add one more car to the traffic, it will certainly hinder the flow of traffic in addition being more dangerous for pedestrians and cars alike.

A lower vehicle traffic business would be a better fit for that address at this point in time. Once traffic flow is improved then those that currently oppose it may change their minds.

As far as the town board goes, they we BULLIED by their attorney and they don't even realize it.

The denial of the variance to put the drive through lane within 75ft of a neighboring property would have stopped the project, but the zoning board failed to uphold the towns own code.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    And is Lancaster suffering because of Tim Hortons?
    Perhaps the people who are next to the Tim Horton's are suffering. I don't like the trash that is generated by having that Tim Horton's next to my shop. The cigarette butts from cars on Union road are bad enough. I forgot about the litter that kids drop walking back and forth to Cheektowaga Central. OH...I forgot about the litter that is generated from people who are waiting at the bus stop that's near by. Now I get to see Tim Horton cups here and there that blow over.

A home owner shouldn't have to deal with that type of stuff.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    As far as the town board goes, they we BULLIED by their attorney and they don't even realize it.

The denial of the variance to put the drive through lane within 75ft of a neighboring property would have stopped the project, but the zoning board failed to uphold the towns own code.
    So I was correct. The property needed some "zoning" changes to make this happen? IE: The variance change?

Tell me how this work because I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Eye View Post
    NO ONE thinks this property should be anything BUT commercial, the traffic delays caused by the "Tim Hortons effect" in WNY is the problem. if the tim hortons was in the middle of wegmans parking lot, NO one would oppose it, but the location that was chosen in an area that is highly congested for all the reason you listed in your post, makes it a poor choice as far as SAFETY goes, it may not add one more car to the traffic, it will certainly hinder the flow of traffic in addition being more dangerous for pedestrians and cars alike.

A lower vehicle traffic business would be a better fit for that address at this point in time. Once traffic flow is improved then those that currently oppose it may change their minds.

Have not been following the issue so was there a traffic study done to document the "Tim Hortons effect" as you mention?

From what I can see it's it's a 4 lane road with a center turn lane. This is a major road and honestly the density of it and it mostly being residential indicates to me it's not at full capacity. I would be shocked if the traffic from the ""Tim Hortons effect" would put more traffic on the road than what it's designed for. That said, it could bring more traffic than what people are used to but that is not the same.

Back in the day when Captains Cove was a hopping place, CPD officers worked traffic control on Friday evenings because of all the traffic going in and out for fish fry Friday. They would stop traffic on Dick Rd to let the left turners out, of course that was before Barone traffic light

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Have not been following the issue so was there a traffic study done to document the "Tim Hortons effect" as you mention?

From what I can see it's it's a 4 lane road with a center turn lane. This is a major road and honestly the density of it and it mostly being residential indicates to me it's not at full capacity. I would be shocked if the traffic from the ""Tim Hortons effect" would put more traffic on the road than what it's designed for. That said, it could bring more traffic than what people are used to but that is not the same.
    NO the traffic study was done with a dying restaurant business at that location.

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Eye View Post
    NO the traffic study was done with a dying restaurant business at that location.

Does not matter what used to be there.

A traffic study does 3 main things to my understanding.

1 - Defines the appropriate amount of traffic the road should have.

2 - Defines the current amount of traffic the road has.

3 - Defines the level of traffic the proposed item will have.

The last item is not subjective. All of the studies that I have read reference the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) Trip Generation Manual, 9th Edition. This manual lists a specific count for a fast food place and a specific count for a fast food place with a drive-thu. It could be Tim Hortons or McDonalds. It's the same number.

Shocked a traffic study was not done. Unless there was a recent study on Dick Rd that outlined traffic was nowhere near capacity.

Once again, a traffic study WAS done, BUT it does not account for the "tim hortons effect" When the drive thru is full people will sit in their cars on the main road blocking that lane to get THEIR coffee. ....you need to live here and witness this in person at the AM, PM and lunch Rush hours to understand what it is.
    Last edited by Electric Eye; August 26th, 2016 at 01:05 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I don't see "more" traffic because of the Tim Horton's next to my shop. I see more trash but not more traffic. I'm not here at 6 am but I haven't seen traffic blocked during the day because of Tim Horton's.

What I see in general area lot of close calls and accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I don't see "more" traffic because of the Tim Horton's next to my shop. I see more trash but not more traffic. I'm not here at 6 am but I haven't seen traffic blocked during the day because of Tim Horton's.

What I see in general area lot of close calls and accidents.
    You won't see more vehicles on Dick Rd, you will see a disruption and delays in what is already there until the light timing situation gets fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information