Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydro-Fracking Deadline 12/31/2009

Hydro-Fracking Deadline 12/31/2009

The impact on tourism and the wine industry in NY will be substantial, as our scenic rural and farm lands give way to industrial 200' drilling rigs, five-acre well pads and hazardous waste holding ponds spaced as closely as one for every forty acres! We must act quickly to persuade Governor Patterson to reject the SGEIS as it has been recently drafted. The document is inadequate to regulate the industrial scope of Marcellus drilling in New York, and Governor Paterson is the only one who can prevent it from being accepted as is. For the future of our farming and wine industries in NY state, please sign the petition!
    Simply go to www.toxicstargeting.com , and on the right side of the page click on "Marcellus Shale", underneath that - click on "Coalition Letter", and underneath that - click on "Signing Coalition Letter".
    GO GREEN ... plant a garden!

The time has been long overdue for america to harvest its own natural resources. The farmers and wine makers should be able to make plenty of income leasing their land and getting commission from the drillers. If they havent arranged for that, they deserve what happens to them.

Quote Originally Posted by blockclubof1 View Post
    The impact on tourism and the wine industry in NY will be substantial, as our scenic rural and farm lands give way to industrial 200' drilling rigs, five-acre well pads and hazardous waste holding ponds spaced as closely as one for every forty acres! We must act quickly to persuade Governor Patterson to reject the SGEIS as it has been recently drafted. The document is inadequate to regulate the industrial scope of Marcellus drilling in New York, and Governor Paterson is the only one who can prevent it from being accepted as is. For the future of our farming and wine industries in NY state, please sign the petition!
    Simply go to www.toxicstargeting.com , and on the right side of the page click on "Marcellus Shale", underneath that - click on "Coalition Letter", and underneath that - click on "Signing Coalition Letter".
    Yes. Let's tell New York State that we want to continue paying extremely high prices for a resource that is right in our backyard! There's no way that technology has been developed in the last 100 years to protect the environment against contamination.
    I would probably be opposed to this if everything around here wasn't so damned cheap!
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

and Governor Paterson is the only one who can prevent it from being accepted as is. For the future of our farming and wine industries in NY state, please sign the petition!
    Actually, the public comment period on the draft SGEIS has been extended to December 31, 2009.

Go here to comment and read about the draft SGEIS

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    There's no way that technology has been developed in the last 100 years to protect the environment against contamination.
    I would probably be opposed to this if everything around here wasn't so damned cheap!

Problem is companies dont want to invest in the technology because it cuts into their profit margins. Unless they can make 1000% profit, they wont invest in protecting the enviroment.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

WWWAAAAHHHH! More BS from the anti-new technology crowd. Maybe we should abandon modern life altogether and go back to hunting mastodons, wearing skins, gathering nuts and berries, and living in caves.

Gas wells drilled the traditional way using "fracing" now. The difference between traditional gas well drilling and Marcellus shale well drilling is the chemicals used, and that is why NYS is going more slowly than neighboring PA and WVA. As for "scenics", well drilling rigs are only on-site for a few weeks. Once the well is in production, the area around it takes up maybe an acre (200 x 200) and that includes any tanks.

The wells in NYS are being put on private property that has been used for agriculture and logging for a couple of centuries, not on public lands as is being done in PA in the Allegheny National Forest.

Linda, the chemicals being used to fracture these Marcellus wells are toxic. They will contaminate drinking water. The Bush/Cheney administration exempted gas well drillers (Haliburton) from the Safe Drinking Water Act. The gas industry has proven time & again to be irresponsible for the pollution they create. This is why we must be cautious of this new development.
    Do you really think the southern tier gas the infrastructure (bridges and roads) to support the truck traffic involved with the industrial scale of the project? You live in southern tier? Where do you get your water?

See what happened recently in Colorado.

GO GREEN ... plant a garden!

New York State is NOT the Bush/Cheney administration. If NYS doesn't like the chemicals, then NYS doesn't approve the drilling procedure until the procedure is considered safe.

I'm sorry, but too many of the opponents to this procedure are the very same people who oppose wind turbines. They seem to oppose all new technology, and they make up specious arguments to do it (as in wind turbines kill birds by the thousands, blind people, and drive other people crazy with their noise). If it comes down to believing a bunch of anti-technology freaks claiming that the drillers will be using toxic chemicals or the NYS DEC officials who say the procedures are okay, I think I'll trust the DEC.

FTR, Halliburton is not a major player in gas drilling in NYS, and even if it was, what does that matter? Is Keystone Energy really a "better" well driller than Halliburton or is using the name "Halliburton" just a means used by the anti-technology freaks to elicit anti-drilling sentiment?

I'm sorry but I'm a strong supporter of environmental controls and protecting the earth/what not.

However, I also can't figure out why the hell we should have to pay such high prices for our utilities, since the natural resources that can provide them to us exist right here. Therefore, we can impact the environment a little in a way that is not overly damaging, and help everybody save some money.

Posting a youtube video is not proof that this is going to be environmentally destructive in an extreme way.

I'm sorry but I'm a strong supporter of environmental controls and protecting the earth/what not.

However, I also can't figure out why the hell we should have to pay such high prices for our utilities, since the natural resources that can provide them to us exist right here. Therefore, we can impact the environment a little in a way that is not overly damaging, and help everybody save some money.

Posting a youtube video is not proof that this is going to be environmentally destructive in an extreme way.

This is why...
    http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2009/10/19

I don't know enough about this process to be Pro or Con, but I do know this: Nobody is investing in gas drilling so we can save money. They are doing it for profit, and our gas bills won't drop by a single cent. Proximity doesn't equal cheap, as evidenced by Niagara Hydropower vs #2 or #3 HIGHEST electric rates in the 48 States.

We pay high prices because of sweetheart deals arranged with our beloved State and local governments - such as allowing Niagara Mohawk to sell its profitable half (distribution) to foreigners & its money-losing half (generation) to suckers. Not to forget the sales taxes on every whiff of gas and spark of electricity we use ... those politicians are so very concerned about us, dontcha know?

On the plus side - horizontal drilling means fewer actual wells and less disruption of the landscape. On the negative side is the massive amounts of water and potential hazard (I said potential) of toxic chemichals used in the process.

For a real laugh read the submission of the Finger Lakes Trail Conference objection to the drilling. They want the State to require the drilling companies to help the FLTC convince private land owners to give the FLTC permission to have the FLT on private land because the FLTC is afraid that its membership will drop if people see gas wells while hiking. What a joke of a submission.

Wait for the churches to learn about that. The'll be asking the DEC to require drilling companies to help them recruit members because gas wells look so anti-christ.

You misrepresent FLTC's position. That is no surprise as you - the know it all, prove not to know too much each and every time you open your mouth. Even a fool is counted wise when he keeps his mouth shut.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

If it isn't going to save us money then I am opposed to it. We shouldn't jeopardize the government just to pad the pockets of a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    You misrepresent FLTC's position. That is no surprise as you - the know it all, prove not to know too much each and every time you open your mouth. Even a fool is counted wise when he keeps his mouth shut.
    Why do you insist on exhibiting your ignorance on so many matters for which you apparently have no knowledge? Do you just like to flap your lips for the fun of it?

Here is a direct quote from the FLTC submission

"Dangers to the trail from gas drilling development

Loss of membership – Disruption of normal trail activities and deterioration of the quality of the wilderness experience will reduce active member participation. Any
    reduction in membership and the pool of active volunteers will affect the overall viability of the organization."

And then this gem:

"Required changes to the SGEIS.

The final SGEIS and any subsequent policy and regulations must:

5. Require assistance with landowner relations – Require, in situations where the developer has agreements with a private landowner, and the relationship between the FLT and the private landowner may change due to development, that the developer will assist in reaching an arrangement whereby both the trail and the landowner may benefit."

That's from the FLTC letter dated December 28, 2009 to the DEC commenting upon the draft SGEIS. I'll bet you never even read it.

If a private land owner decides to kick the FLTC off his or her land to use the land for something else, then to bad for the FLTC. Why should a developer be obligated to assist the FLTC do anything, except perhaps help them remove the signs and ugly paint blazes from the trees that the FLTC uses to disfigure the forest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information