Thread: Ethics Reform Needed In Erie & Niagara County

Ethics Reform Needed In Erie & Niagara County

With numerous politicians being convicted in Albany, there has been a lot of focus on the need for ethics reform in the New York State Legislature. Similar attention and focus should also be directed towards ethics reform at the local government level.

http://artvoice.com/2016/05/05/ethic.../#.VzNSIfmDGko

As usual Mr Wolf's ideas are hopelessly flawed. For example, his recommendation that everyone adopt NYC's campaign finance laws shows one of two things; either he has a sneaking admiration for political corruption on a really grand scale or he hasn't been following the story about the investigation of the massive campaign finance fraud perpetrated by Mayor William Wilhelm, er DiBlasio or whatever name he goes by today. Frankly, I wish the Dems would find him a job somewhere so he stops his "reform" agenda, an agenda he puts forward repeatedly, comfortable in the knowledge that the Democratic Party won't support it in a thousand years.

New York City's public financing of elections while not perfect has worked fine. The issues that have been raised regarding DiBlasio's fund raising has nothing to do with New York's public financing system.

I continue to be amazed at how critical you are of my reform efforts. I am out there every day researching, writing, attending meetings, just trying to make a difference in some small way. You sure are a grump, but thanks for reading and thanks for your comments.

Please! Wilhelm's Committee for One New York was designed and used specifically to allow people to buy access to Wilhelm to get business from NYC. And it all happened despite and under the nose of NYC!s wonderful public finance system.

I should've acknowledged that with all the effort you expend it's not easy being you.

New York's public financing system matches individual donations that are $175 or less. The One New York fund was all about big donations from corporations, unions and wealthy individuals. One New York has nothing to do with the public financing system. Have a nice grumpy day!

This is almost comical. One New York was designed to funnel money to the mayor with two names outside the public campaign finance system. Yet the zealots for taking people's tax money and using it to force them to support candidates they don't want elected claim it prevents things like One New York. What your argument amounts to is that since One New York isn't part of the public finance system that system is a great success and that corruption has been reduced' since the corruption took place outside the public finance system. It's senseless to argue with your position such as it is. But I believe you're a lawyer by profession and I recommend you send your resume to the mayor with two names. If nothing else you'll have Preet and the gang doubled over with laughter for awhile.
    Last edited by grump; May 17th, 2016 at 05:38 PM.

Thread Information