Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minutes on BOE meet the candidate Roundtable forum

Minutes on BOE meet the candidate Roundtable forum

I attended the ‘Meet the BOE Candidate Roundtable’ event sponsored by the Lancaster District PTO Council (membership made up of representation from each of the 7 district schools). Estimate I was among 75 other participants who were equally in number sequestered in five rooms and where the prospective BOE candidates shuttled between rooms to answer resident questions and concerns.

In the group I was in the following topics were the most discussed – and with civil discourse: Time restrictions (15 minute blocks) and prolonged answers did not allow for the public asking candidates questions on all items listed below:

Need for change – including administrative leadership
    Transgender policy
    Bringing the Redskin name back
    Transparency and need for BOE meeting civility
    Common Core – curriculum, student state testing and opting out, teacher evaluation

Need for change – including administrative change (Superintendent Vallely)

Mary Jo Schaefer
    Has he (Dr. Vallely) has done something so egregious that would warrant his termination because if he has the community should be made aware of that. Has he? The quetioner replied that he is asking her opinion because he did not believe so but wanted her opinion. Schaefer responded that she didn’t think he has done anything to warrant his removal.

Needs to change – the public have more of a voice. Their voice does not to be stifled at board meetings.

Dr. Kristi Perillo-Okeke

Primary need for change: Communication; proposes school board newsletter, a student representative that will serve on the board as the current BOE members are not conducive to the students. Need to have transparency to bridge that communication. Need to highlight the great things going on in the district. Wants student BOE involvement so that the board can know what the students are thinking and holding the board accountable.

Leadership change – met with Dr. Vallely for 1-1/2 hours. Suggested he read the social media posts to see what goes on; what other people see and are thinking. If there a lie of lies and fallacy out there, let’s set it right. If the board were to propose getting rid of Dr.Vallely I can’t tell you I would do something like that. I am a collaborator. I would meet with him, the teachers and the residents and even students to get everyone’s input on the issue.

Bill Gallagher – Incumbent

Not questioned

Susan Metz

Does not believe Superintendent Valley has done anything to warrant removal consideration. Declared that he is an excellent Superintendent.

Need to change – like to see less divisiveness, less conflict, more focus and talk on education. A lot of time is taken up in arguing on matters outside of education. It is not just among BOE members but the community as well. It wasn’t always like this.

When asked about her platform to bring back civility to the meetings and how she would plan to accomplish that, Metz responded it was best done by leading by example. Like everyone else I have different opinions but I handle things differently – by not yelling or getting into heated arguments; especially after board meetings end and where the community is still present.

Brian Osika

On removal of Dr. Valley as District Superintendent – I would have to sit down with Dr. Vallely and have a conversation with him about that. I don’t know other than the meetings I attended for the last year…if I get elected I am one vote.

The questioning individual explained the reason for his question is that we have a district that improved dramatically over the last 10 years in academic achievement; ranked 6th in WNY, recognized as the second the second most cost-efficient districts, rated highly for its leadership skills and abilities and yet a lot has been said on social media that Dr, Vallely is found lacking and the district needs a change in leadership. So again, your thoughts on the current leadership?

Osika responded that what he would like to see changed would be less of a reliance on district lawyers. I don’t know what needs to be changed in the district at this point. I don’t know if you have a specific example?

The questioner responded that Mr. Osika is smart enough and informed even to know that the topics discussed on the transgender policy, Common Core testing and teacher evaluation are federal and state mandated policies and guidelines that the district is obligated to abide by or approve. Some would like the district to violate following those polices and discredit the board when they don’t go along. The district was requested to opt out all children. That is not possible; yet the district was maligned for doing so, not the state.

Another candidate was asked on whether the excessive opt-out rate (5% state limit) would have an impact on state or federal funding, and/or Business First ranking. The one candidate declared that there is zero chance of that happening, that it is unconstitutional. Your thoughts.

I don’t know about it being unconstitutional, but I cn tell you that no school district in New York State has lost a dollar in funding.

Questioner: Right now, but is it possible in the future?

Osika: Anything is possible.

Transgender policy

Mary Jo Schaefer

There is no policy in Lancaster at this point. When asked if a policy would be up for approval how would she vote? Schaefer responded that there is no federal or state policy in place right now and doesn’t feel the district should set any policy. Declared she is not personally in favor of shared bathrooms based on gender identity.

Dr. Kristi Perillo-Okeke

Not questioned on the matter

Individual declared Governor Cuomo requested the BOE make a policy to accommodate transgender children, in the absence of any federal or state law at this point. Where do you stand on the adoption of a policy that would allow a transgender student the bathroom of their choice?

Gallagher responded that the policy that the district has in place at present is the one the board needs more to know more about; to listen more to the community for more information. There are many other districts out there facing the same challenge and some schools have already adopted policy without much question or fanfare. The most important thing we do in our school buildings is to make all students safe. I don’t have a specific answer myself especially now that corporations are involved as well. District policies are already in place that address transgender accommodations and are working. As a board we felt we needed some more time to review this before adopting any policy.

Susan Metz

When questioned on transgender stance Metz replied she was in favor of a program that protected the dignity of all students; transgender and not. A student who identifies with a gender should be accommodated. Would favor a student using the facility they identify with.

Brian Osika

When questioned on his opinion on the transgender policy, where there is no federal or state law in place, just a suggestion from Governor Cuomo, and how he would vote on establishing such district policy, Osika replied that from he learned of that policy in attending board meetings, would I support that, I would have to do more research on what that law is. However, I am not in favor jeopardizing the whole (kids) for a few. A policy needs to be put in place that makes all the children comfortable. It is hard for me to say what I would do now because it would not be up to me as an individual board member. It has a lot to do with what’s the law; the direction from the state.

Bringing the Redskin name back

Mary Jo Schaefer

Disagreed with the process used to remove the Redskin name. As a board member would have never taken it upon herself to vote to remove the name. The community should have been heard, but it changed and there are many other issues that need attention. My decision in the future would be based on what the community wants. If the community expresses its displeasure with the Legends name and want to be heard, my job is to listen to them.

Dr. Kristi Perillo-Okeke

Not questioned on matter

Susan Metz

Brian Osika

When asked his opinion on the Legends mascot he replied he has no opinion on either mascot. I have lived in community for 8 years and am not an alumnus. I don’t have ties with either one. As far as the Redskin mascot goes declared he believed a lot of voices were not heard in the decision process. As a member of the board I would listen to the varied opinions of the community and come up with an objective way to find out what the majority of the people want. How that’s done, I don’t know. Is that done through a vote or through a survey, I don’t know. If that’s what the community wanted then I would consider that. However, if there are financial implications that would impact the school district in returning that mascot, as a board member that has to be considered as well.

When one questioner voiced that as one of many who found the name offensive, she questioned why the district would even want to consider bringing the Redskin name back. Osika reiterated that if that was want the majority of Lancaster residents wanted the name returned he would have to consider their request and wishes. I am only one vote; it is not up to Brian Osika.

Transparency, the need for the BOE to respond to all public questions and conduct themselves in a civil manner

Mary Jo Schaefer

If the BOE is asked a question and the BOE gets back to that person, what about the others in attendance; it is not fair to them. Doesn’t see much civility shown by the BOE. To move forward the BOE needs to change. Never witnessed such negative discourse as today.

Dr. Kristi Perillo-Okeke

Unquestioned and no response. Admits to not attending all BOE meetings by any means but stays inform through research. Declared Dr. Vallely stated she knew a lot of what was going on in the district. Suggested holding live meeting minutes online and provide recordings for the community.

Questioned on lack of transparency and communication on part of BOE, Gallagher voiced that dialogue is important and felt the board did not want to stop the dialogue by having people call ahead and be put on the list to speak and state the topic of concern they have. That format was also initiated to stop people from coming to the board meeting and pose questions that were an attempt to slander or defame the people who are sitting on the board.

Susan Metz

Would listen to the community and be easily approachable. Can’t speak for other board members regarding their communication skills. Talking with the community is the best way to determine what they want. Everyone has different opinions.

When asked her position on what an individual believed was a restrictive board policy on speaking, Metz responded that it was her understanding that the process was changed because individuals were coming up to speak on matters that did not have anything to do with education and/or inappropriate comments and charges were being made. Personnel questions were being asked when it was made clear such matters are proprietary and not open for public discussion. Accusations and claims against board members were made without a question anywhere in the mix.

The individual added that he felt his rights to speak were being denied and what did Metz plan on doing about it. Metz responded that the policy in place seems to be working and has served its purpose. If I were elected and put in a position to make change, that would be a different scenario.

Another individual added that he would like to see the public comment session returned prior to resolution considerations where the public would have an opportunity to address the board on said resolutions – only the resolutions and with succinct questions for clarification or comments; and with limited time to do so.

Brian Osika
    Would listen to the community; something lacking in past boards.

When asked why he was running, Osika said it was because he attended one BOE meeting and saw a high school student get bullied by an administrator and watched this child in tears. I addressed the board on the matter at the next meeting, on the zero tolerance policy that is in effect for bullying and was looking for answers why nothing was done. That’s when I started getting involved.

When asked how he would rate the board and the superintendent on transparency and how decisions are made, Osika declared that yes, there was some of that when the mascot issue was at stake. Stating he has attended many other school board and other organizational meetings he opined that at this time this board is not operating as a true board. Its dysfunctional. You can agree to disagree but there is no reason to be arrogant and downright disrespectful.

Would support going back to an open forum where every resident has a right to address their child’s education. Attended board meetings were parents came in angry like the woman who came in speaking on her daughter having a peanut allergy and wasn’t getting the answers; for whatever reason. Do I think everyone needs to come in and address the board, I do not. Coming to the board should be the last resort if all the other avenues have been exhausted – talking to the child’s teacher, if not getting an answer then the principal, meeting with Dr. Vallely and if not getting that answer then coming before the board.

Common Core – curriculum, student state testing and opting out, teacher evaluation

Mary Jo Schaefer

The BOE did not give the public enough voice in the decision making process. Did not feel the changes made this year by the state education department were drastic enough and opted out her children from the state tests. As an educator believes teachers should not be state evaluated for the four-year period agreed upon.

Opt out percent will not affect federal or state funding. That is unconstitutional. Aid cannot be cut for opting out. Opt out percent could impact Business First district ranking.

Dr. Kristi Perillo-Okeke

Worked personally with Pierson (?) on the Core developmental program and calls it a profit making scheme. Paid pennies for a project they were being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to actually implement. Served in many organizations and contends you it is not about attending meetings, but affecting change.

There are a lot of things that we can leverage with the opt-out movement. First, we need to educate more people about the importance of opting out. Second, we need to actually take those people and go to Albany; before our state leaders. My goal is to meet with John King. You may say that is a pipedream, but I tell you that I promise you that. As a doctor, an educator and professional I will go them telling that I am concerned not only about their academic well being, but their social, emotional and physical well beings as well. I will be effective in changing this Common Core debacle that is taking place right now.

Would like to have a sit down with pro common core BOE members and have a discussion as to why they favor Common Core when it is not an effective tool.

As an educator teaching math I respect the concerns people have. I do respect the parents’ choice to decide what’s best for their children I exercise that in my own house. I don’t believe the program was rolled out right. As for ‘sit and stare’, it was a decision at a time that took place when we did not have any protocols in place. I don’t believe the state thought the opt out numbers would be as high as they are now.

I can tell you that my daughter has taken all the assessments; contrary to what she wants to do. That was my decision to make but I respect the decisions others make as well. It is not a one decision for everyone to make. There are positives in that the test results help me modify my way in teaching the students; and makes me a better teacher.

Susan Metz

Common Core was rolled out poorly. When my kids attended school there wasn’t the opt-out movement but I did immediately see the problems with Common Core. I could see where the teachers were under a tremendous amount of stress. It was palpable in the building. Test questions should have had more teacher involvement. There are changes being made. Are they the best changes, maybe not. Should teachers be state evaluated in 4-5 years, it may take longer.

Brian Osika

Common Core issues are handled on the state level.

Crickets...hmmm.....Me thinks the proRedskin camp has been told to zip their lips until after the election. Thanks for the summary, Lee!

Quote Originally Posted by krivas214 View Post
    Crickets...hmmm.....Me thinks the proRedskin camp has been told to zip their lips until after the election. Thanks for the summary, Lee!

It looks like the queen put her lap dogs back on their leashes.

I wonder how long she can keep them tied down?

Thank you, Lee for posting what was said in your group's room.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by lord Geof View Post
    It looks like the queen put her lap dogs back on their leashes.

I wonder how long she can keep them tied down?

The dogs are still barking, don't kid yourself.

Lancaster Calls For Resignation Of Dr. Michael J. Vallely
    Yesterday at 9:36am · Buffalo ·
    Make it happen! If we elect these 2 people to the school board, we will have 4 pro Redskins vs 3 non. If it's 4 vs 3 we can dump Vallely for good!
    Lancaster Calls For Resignation Of Dr. Michael J. Vallely's

www.facebook.com/Lancaster-Calls-For-Resignation-Of-Dr-Michael-J-Vallely-419173541596962/?fref=nf
    Last edited by FLICKdaWRIST; May 5th, 2016 at 11:28 PM.

Not that there was any doubt to their motives, but...

https://m.facebook.com/gregory.sojka..._card&refid=17

Flickawrist’s Facebook post was interesting in that Schaefer and Osika deny that they were tied to the added language used in the post calling for the removal of Superintendent Vallely. I posed the same question to each candidate Monday night and they all indicated there was no need to remove Superintendent Dr. Vallely from office. Yet this denial comes late in the game and where many prior Facebook and other media posts clearly led readers to believe the election of Schaefer and Osika would change the makeup of the BOE and where they would support all the ‘needed’ board changes indicated by the Friends of the Redskin supporter and the removal of Dr. Vallely.

Yes, the Redskin group did tone it down for the session and some had been provided prepared notes on what to ask and whom to ask it off. That was obvious.

What I found most objectionable was when Schaefer and Osika were asked on bringing the Redskin name back and they both answered that if that was what the community wanted they would listen and act on what the community wanted. The Town of Lancaster’s image has been tarnished enough by the name change resistance and to think anyone would consider bringing this offense name back apparently holds their personal agenda best interest over that of the town. For a board member, or especially a prospective campaigning candidate to offer a glimmer of hope of that ever happening to garner votes is appalling – in my opinion and many others who first opposed the name change and have since moved on.

I found it most interesting that after the session ended a young father, who had offered no questions, approached and thanked me for stating what a great school district Lancaster has. He was glad to hear me presenting information like Lancaster moving up to sixth place in school district rankings in WNY, being the second most cost-efficient district, its administration highly recognized, having 14 AP programs in place, and presenting a budget with the lowest tax increase in 5 years and with no cuts in staffing or programs. He thanked me because said he moved to Lancaster because of its school system and was starting to think he made a mistake with all the negative s*** he had been hearing and reading in the professional and social media reports.

As for the changes needed according to Schaefer (educator), Okeke (Dr. & educator) and Osika, they well should know that the district’s hands are tied by federal and state policy mandates, and yet they align themselves with this disgruntled Redskin group and promise to bring changes to the very policies they have no authority to make changes on, but will do so for the vote.

Regarding openness and transparency, Schaefer, Osika and Okeke openly state that the public’s voice is being stifled at board meetings. They and Redskin group complain that to speak at a board meeting you have to register in advance to do and to state your topic. Yes, and that is something that has come about in the last year – and after the Redskin name change. I don’t like the new format as well; remembering attending meetings for years and having an open mic.

However, I well understand the reason for the new format. The meetings have been taken over by a raucous crowd of Redskin supporters whose main agenda is not to speak on student best interests or school district operations, but too often on personal matters to discredit and demean the five non Redskin BOE members and superintendent Vallely, and in doing so to remove them from office and take control of the board. They claim the BOE and superintendent are being condescending and disrespectful, yet do not see themselves in the same light; and much worse. Respect due is respect earned! How disingenuous for one candidate to appear at a board meeting accusing Superintendent Vallely of stalking her 11 year-old daughter on twitter and never attempting to formally validate her charge, and yet claim she sees no reason for Dr. Vallely’s removal.

On the one hand the public will have an option to vote for 3 candidates campaigning for change; changes to policies and are possible, more voice for the public in the decision making process and giving any consideration to bringing back the mascot name.

The second option will be to vote for the Gallagher/Metz team who are committed to following policies already in place believing that Lancaster will become even a greater school district.

Quote Originally Posted by FLICKdaWRIST View Post
    The dogs are still barking, don't kid yourself.

Lancaster Calls For Resignation Of Dr. Michael J. Vallely
    Yesterday at 9:36am · Buffalo ·
    Make it happen! If we elect these 2 people to the school board, we will have 4 pro Redskins vs 3 non. If it's 4 vs 3 we can dump Vallely for good!
    Lancaster Calls For Resignation Of Dr. Michael J. Vallely's

www.facebook.com/Lancaster-Calls-For-Resignation-Of-Dr-Michael-J-Vallely-419173541596962/?fref=nf
    This was posted by Osika on the same Facebook page and the other post disappeared.
    Brian Osika
    Yesterday at 10:58pm
    The post below is not my post. I never said these comments and this is an attempt to sabotage my campaign.

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    I found it most interesting that after the session ended a young father, who had offered no questions, approached and thanked me for stating what a great school district Lancaster has. He was glad to hear me presenting information like Lancaster moving up to sixth place in school district rankings in WNY, being the second most cost-efficient district, its administration highly recognized, having 14 AP programs in place, and presenting a budget with the lowest tax increase in 5 years and with no cuts in staffing or programs. He thanked me because said he moved to Lancaster because of its school system and was starting to think he made a mistake with all the negative s*** he had been hearing and reading in the professional and social media reports.
    There are residents who seem to forget that when Vallely was hired as Director of Curriculum and Instruction graduation rates went from 86% TO 97% and Business First rankings went from #15 in 2006 to #6 the last few years.

Georgia L Schlager

Georgia L Schlager

the problem with these two is that they both have a history. they were both posting nasty tweets directly to the superintendent on social media, sitting with the thugs at board meetings, proudly being part of the change it back crowd, proudly part of the group only there to demean and harass, talking about everything but the education of our students and the efficient operation of this district. one goes so far to publicly accuse the superintendent of creeping on her daughter! just MONTHS ago! there is literally a "change it back" house with their sign on it! i mean COME ON!!!!

their attempt now to soften their message is dishonest and they are not communicating honestly with voters. obviously, many, many people with osika/schaefer signs on their lawns have them there EXACTLY for the same reason as the person who operated this fire dr vallely page. the opinion posted on that page is the predominant point of view of their supporters. by the way, that particular page is one that the candidates liked, that brenda christopher had posted on, that at least brian osika had participated on.

it is osika and schaefer's OWN WORDS AND ACTIONS that have sabotaged them. if they had any integrity they would not be doing this lame, dishonest pivot: trying to deny why they are in this race and what they stand for. how the opt out protesters got hoodwinked by them have no idea but that's another story.

Yes, Osika has no animosity towards the superintendent, NOT.

Georgia L Schlager

their behavior was disgusting last year.

their dishonesty is disgusting this year.

Georgia L Schlager

Those people like Sojka have the nerve to call the past BOE disrespectful.
    What do you call the words coming out of these babes mouths.

Osika/Schaefer are disgustingly disrespectful

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information