Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you ran the Town?

town service to tax payers

Quote Originally Posted by cheektowaga View Post
    Exactly! Finally someone gets it!
    it is not like the older days when men had to throw the heavy cans to the guy that had to stay in the pile of garbage to catch the can . now it is lite plastic bags you throw in the hopper . they need to change this make them work 8 hours. a lot of them have second jobs and they make 20 some dollars with the town

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    my god u people kill me. they work all day and do the same amount or do it in half. Why don't you apply for a job at wben... do you like teachers? why not make teachers work all year? wake up. the best way is to cut down and save money is on town wide supervision, to start put the white shirts cops on salary. no more ot and pension saving. no more take home cars for no one drive to work get the car and return it at the end of the day. fish fry he gets a regular standard pickem up, take home cars or suv's for cops, the fat guy boss from the parks goes on salary no more ot for him. the biggest waste is gps in town cars and trucks. do u have any idea what it costs the town to have a company spy on employees and the cost of this new system. wasting money on attorney fees to fight unions in the town and then they lose over dumb stuff.. god the list can go on and on. and your worried about a trash guy. go crawl in a hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Eye View Post
    So which is it...do they clock 8hrs for 8hrs pay or do they only work 4-5hrs/day for 8hrs pay?

The way I see it is they get their route done in 1/2 the time, therefore their route is too small. Maybe the town should consider making each route bigger and have less routes. No holiday pickup (no other town does holiday trash pickup), Make the trash workers salary, this will eliminate the over time

It is not about how much work they do, it is about how much money they get paid for hours not worked...it the private sector this would not be allowed.
    So how does over time come into play?

Is it generated because the town offers holiday trash pickup? The best way to cut down and save money in our town is to review ALL PROCEDURES and services cheekman.

I didn't know there was a GPS system on town vehicles. Was there a need for this originally? Who monitors it? Does the town have a "live map view" as to where all the vehicles are? Does this save us anything on insurance?

Explain what you think "dumb stuff" is.

I believe last contract they did cut 1 route but still have part timers on extra trucks helping the regular crews with their routes

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Question would be is how does modern disposal handle employees. Do they calculate routes by the number of stops? totes? etc?

I totally understand you can have a heavy trash day but now with totes the trash is limited to what goes in the tote. Does that make sense? So you know how many totes your are emptying per route. You also have to take weather into account.

I'm sure our sanitation department has this computerized by now.

http://www.cheektowagabee.com/news/2...ees_union.html

Wonder if a new contract is under negotiations.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Question would be is how does modern disposal handle employees. Do they calculate routes by the number of stops

I totally understand you can have a heavy trash day but now with totes the trash is limited to what goes in the tote. Does that make sense? So you know how many totes your are emptying per route. You also have to take weather into account.

I'm sure our sanitation department has this computerized by now.
    700-800 stops per day per route

In Lancaster (Waste Management) we have two guys per truck, one driving, one tossing. If I remember correctly, Cheektowaga had 3 or 4 per truck, one driving, two tossing from both sides of the street, but that was pre-totes. With the totes there should only be two people per truck.

Sanitation

So here is another tidbit of information. I was talking today to one of the councilpeople at the senior center today and asked about the Hours employess have to work at Sanitiation. I was told the past councilperson that oversaw sanitation made them stay till noon since they got paid 11-12 for lunch. Once the New supervisor got elected and changed who oversees Sanitation she told them to go home at 11 even know their still are on the clock. So here is the kicker, the union incentive is to get their work done in 6 hours, and get paid for 8. So with the Supervisor telling them to leave at 11 what does that cost us at the end of the year? In addition to that is she actively breaking the union contract, not that anyone cares but we all complain and have complained about the unions and here is the SUpervisor who negotiates that contracts giving them more...at the cost to the TAXPAYER...
    Last edited by cheektowaga; May 4th, 2016 at 04:30 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    In Lancaster (Waste Management) we have two guys per truck, one driving, one tossing. If I remember correctly, Cheektowaga had 3 or 4 per truck, one driving, two tossing from both sides of the street, but that was pre-totes. With the totes there should only be two people per truck.
    usually at least 3 per truck, sometimes 4. The recycling is done by one guy in a truck. He picks up 75% of the recycling totes (the same as the garbage totes) without getting out of the truck - just grabs them with the lift and tosses them into the bin on the front of the truck.

The recycling truck is an efficient clean operation, even though people toss glass containers with contents in their recycling bins. The garbage pickup is a mess. All the trucks leak, and the guys sometime manually empty the bins rather than use the lift, often spilling content on the road. If they drop a bottle or glass jar they just leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The garbage pickup is a mess. All the trucks leak, and the guys sometime manually empty the bins rather than use the lift, often spilling content on the road. If they drop a bottle or glass jar they just leave it.
    So nothing has changed... and this goes back 30 years to the first time I lived in Cheektowaga.

The Unions are controlling how many people per truck. There contract has expired, will the town push to change that in the their proposed contract offer or will they continue to be pushed around by the unions?

The town just a approved a new garbage truck at a cost of over $200K...I don't know the specs if it will be built like the recycling truck for one man operation but I suspect it won't be.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Can you get the specs of the new truck? If we need one we need it. I'm curious what 200k buys

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information