Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does Lackawanna "lack" a Community/Recreation Center?

Post Why does Lackawanna "lack" a Community/Recreation Center?

This mornings news on ch 4 shows the Erie County Legislators lobbying for more money for Buffalo community centers. They want extra money to keep the centers open until 9pm to keep the kids off the streets so they will keep busy and hopefully there will be less juvenile delinquents.
    Makes sense to me--it surely is a win-win for the city and all citizens. A center will also bring many needed jobs to our city and numerous services people have to seek elsewhere. Lackawanna statistically has been for decades on the record and known throughout WNY to be a blighted area so ......WHY DO WE LACK A COMMUNITY CENTER when they are all over Erie County?!

Our Seniors had a Community Center built by the politicians so they could congregate to socialize and eat, do crafts, where clubs meet and programs are held. It is a great place and human needs are being fulfilled by the government AS IT SHOULD BE. I love our Seniors and give them alot of credit for pushing themselves to keep busy and get out and about!

Other Citizens and most importantly OUR kids need a safe, inviting,motivational and educational facility for the very same reasons the politicians built the Lackawanna Senior Center years ago!

When I was a kid we lived in Angola for awhile--I could not wait for Friday night to go to the dances at the youth center and had to do good in school all week for the privilege to attend.
    Boy are we missing the vote, I mean boat on this one! Friendship House is prime location for the entire City and able to be redone for a few million to be realistic. What is the price on a young mans life when he turns to selling drugs and gets into the bottomless court system when he gets a record. Just giving him the possibility of hope through other people might have saved him and his family from the system. He could be mentored from the older guys who have walked in his shoes while they all shot some pool in a safe public environment.
    Not a total cure but a Community-Recreation Center will bridge the "lack" of human needs in a holistic manner that are not being serviced in our schools, the city itself, or sadly in homes.
    Lackawanna, I, and many others have been asking city officials for many years for this center---WHY and WHO do you think are responsible for dropping the ball? I believe some shady deals have taken place and........

p.s.Did you see the paper this morn about the upcoming Senate race?-maybe team polanski and company are too busy with other things than to worry about what is lacking in Lackawanna, especially the First Ward!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    A center will also bring many needed jobs to our city and numerous services people have to seek elsewhere.
    Wrong type of jobs. Please don't push for more tax payer supported jobs. I'm not saying a community center is a bad thing but don't view it as a positive way to create jobs. it's not.

Thumbs up Focus should be on programs

The issue should be focused on community programs for kids, teenagers, and adults, instead of a building. The city has many buildings that aren't used and managed properly. Heat and electric cost counts as expenses but buildings are empty. How to balance income and expences? Does a rec. department head need training in budget management?

I believe the city will start the annual winter program soon and use high school building. Why isn't it advertised on the city web and for the general public? This is the issue.

Only a few kids attend because others aren't aware. It's kept secret.

Another important issue is the use of residency card. This is where income kicks in and balances the budget? How many local residents have an ID card in order to attend programs? What programs?

I conclude my views with the same statement, "The focus should be on developing diversified programs, instead of a community center. We have many empty buildings where programs can take effect immediately."

The programs can be similar to West Seneca and Hamburg Learning Centers.

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    The issue should be focused on community programs for kids, teenagers, and adults, instead of a building. The city has many buildings that aren't used and managed properly. Heat and electric cost counts as expenses but buildings are empty. How to balance income and expences? Does a rec. department head need training in budget management?

I believe the city will start the annual winter program soon and use high school building. Why isn't it advertised on the city web and for the general public? This is the issue.

Only a few kids attend because others aren't aware. It's kept secret.

Another important issue is the use of residency card. This is where income kicks in and balances the budget? How many local residents have an ID card in order to attend programs? What programs?

I conclude my views with the same statement, "The focus should be on developing diversified programs, instead of a community center. We have many empty buildings where programs can take effect immediately."

The programs can be similar to West Seneca and Hamburg Learning Centers.
    It's kept secret only because the powers that be do not want any kids other than their friends and families there......

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Wrong type of jobs. Please don't push for more tax payer supported jobs. I'm not saying a community center is a bad thing but don't view it as a positive way to create jobs. it's not.
    Guess you never heard what the FRIENDSHIP HOUSE did for kids.Actually helped them get jobs and employed them in several buisnesses.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    Guess you never heard what the FRIENDSHIP HOUSE did for kids.Actually helped them get jobs and employed them in several buisnesses.

Who funded friendship house?

Thumbs up

Don't know too much about the status but I believe it had 501(3)K status. Local residents who grew up in Lackawanna can correct me if I'm wrong.

Having a non-profit status opens HUGE doors for donations: federal, state, county, private, in-kind donations-just name it. Having and creating partnerships will benefit all for name recognition and credibility.

Keep in mind, matching funds are very important part in obtaining grants/help and stabilizing a budget in today's economy.

Thumbs up Just Posted

Somebody's reading and paying attention to Speak Up WNY. Read an annoucement about a new event for children: http://www.ci.lackawanna.ny.us/recreation.html It was posted today.

It's a change!

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    Don't know too much about the status but I believe it had 501(3)K status. Local residents who grew up in Lackawanna can correct me if I'm wrong.

Having a non-profit status opens HUGE doors for donations: federal, state, county, private, in-kind donations-just name it. Having and creating partnerships will benefit all for name recognition and credibility.

Keep in mind, matching funds are very important part in obtaining grants/help and stabilizing a budget in today's economy.
    A lot of the Friendship House funding came from the United Way if I am correct.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    This department plans, promotes and organizes recreational and cultural activites.
    How many people are in the department and what is total payroll including bene's and health care coverage? Zanna? Andrea? Cath? Any idea?

Friendship Hosue of WNY went under years ago...that is another whole story! I will let someone who frequented the facility more than I take the reins on this one. I know it benefited alot of people though!

I'm not real clear if you are asking about the Friendship House or if you are referring to an earlier post of Zanna's about the recreation or youth board departments in City Hall.
    Last edited by cath829; December 8th, 2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: add

Thumbs up Fact:

A few years ago I researched and discovered what's available for youth and adults in the city of Lackawanna. I learned all about the friendship house and its history. I discovered how the rec dep. can develop programs by partnering with other organizations and searching for extra funds. In life, if you're looking you'll find it. It's the reality of life. Who want to take a lead and start a single project in order to expend city programs? Extra work? Local leaders have to decide.

Instead of talking about the friendship house and wasting the valuable time, the focus should be on moving forward with a single program. Every year the Youth Board does a survey by asking school children about activities and every year they get the same results- youth wants activities. But the departments don't do anything about it. This is where it get stuck.

Why can't they-local leaders who want to take a lead- learn from others how to cooperate and partner? Here's a simple example: http://www.townofhamburgny.com/20092...erbrochure.pdf

It's a sad story that the Lackawanna city web and its departments-youth and rec. can't be all in one. Just read and pay atention to their mission statement. Do you see any posted events? http://www.ci.lackawanna.ny.us/youth.html and http://www.ci.lackawanna.ny.us/recreation.html Why not?

I understand that the mayor, city council members, and department heads don't like what I say, but let's face it. Its' the FACT. And it's time for a change. Who will take a lead and develop a new program for residents-something to start with? It doesn't cost too much and many buildings and rooms are availble in the city. It's about education and quality of life!
    Last edited by zanna vaida; December 9th, 2009 at 09:15 AM.

I agree with you on this Zanna.No matter where you look all the towns and villages around us offer more than we do. Just recently in the Buffalo News it said that Blasdell is making an ice rink at the Kennedy Playground.This rink is a natural surface and the fire department is filling it with water.It used to be done when I was a kid there.When you talk to our guys they say stuff like insurance and everyone only has one playground we have many so it drains our budget.The facts are they don't have a budget for playgrounds and even though they actually do they always transfer money out of it.There are several smaller towns that spend 200 thousand a year on recreation but we do not.The money we do spend goes for salaries for "Friends and Family Plan".

In my opinionn only, shouldn't churches get involved

here? Many local churches in Lack., CHeek., Lancaster etc can take the reins on this. Churches are suppose to reach out to the community. Am I not correct in this? There are so many churches almost on every corner, that each church should represent that neighborhood.

Zanna, you rock with the information you have compiled.

Problem is they will say that we cannot be compared to Hamburg or Cheektowaga for that matter."They are much larger towns". That will be the answer you get. I agree with you churches need to get involved but, untill the current adminstration changes their mind on their one playground plan you will not get anywhere with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information