Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Lackawanna Municipal Housing Authority

yep

The same hodgson russ, and the same dan spitzer who recommended $40,000 per windmill to a consortium in Fredonia...

yet Norm accepted 100k for 8 windmills, or 12.5k per.

gotta wonder whats going on and who is getting what?

But there was nothing there is their lame ass excuse.......That 100 grand a year from windmills only pays for one detective on the police force whoopdee doo!

Post Posted TODAY.......wow!

Monster
    Job Summary
    Industries
    All
    Job Type
    Full Time
    Employee
    Job Reference Code
    786594 Executive Director
    About the Job
    EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: The Lackawanna Municipal Housing Authority Board of Commissioners are seeking a skilled and experienced professional administrator to be responsible for the leadership and management of a medium sized Public Housing Authority that operates 490 low income housing units. The successful candidate shall have at least five years of public administration experience dealing with multi million dollar budgets. The successful candidate shall also have a minimum of five years experience of supervising a workforce of at least forty employees. The candidate must have a high regard for ethical leadership and a commitment to public service. Experience working with public officials, funding agencies and people of various socio-economic backgrounds is required. Must possess or obtain a Public Housing Managers Certificate within one year of hire. Residency Requirement: Must live in the City of Lackawanna or obtain residency within six months of date of hire. Salary request and benefits must be included with the submitted application. Applicants must submit a cover letter of interest and resume to: Lackawanna Municipal Housing Authority, Executive Director Search Committee, 135 Odell Street, Lackawanna, NY 14218. As seen in The Buffalo News.

WoW!
    I am impressed that it is posted.
    The job specs/requirements really narrows the field for.......candidates, doesn't it?!?

Can't wait til you find out who is getting the position! LMAO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahblah View Post
    So you are saying that the job was posted yesterday and was filled yesterday?

Sounds like business as usual. Promise the job to someone then post the job, were they really looking for other applicants. Successful businesses look outside of the box. The standard practice is post the job, interview applicants, and then hire the most qualified, only in Lackawanna.

Post This outcome was plotted out many years back....off the backs of the innocent people

[QUOTE=getalife123;835825]Sounds like business as usual. Promise the job to someone then post the job, were they really looking for other applicants. Successful businesses look outside of the box. The standard practice is post the job, interview applicants, and then hire the most qualified, only in Lackawanna.[/QUOTE

Yepper!
    Another barroom-backroom deal literally lined up many years ago to fulfill their self-serving agendas(feather retirements,etc.)......not for the betterment of Lackawanna. If you think I am not onto something then Lackawanna would be better by now, shouldn't/ wouldn't WE. But then again, sadly there is no "we" in "Lack"awanna so nothing gets better.

The Board is just plumping up HUD by placing a want ad. Why not do a lengthy search to bring in a non-political person who will just do the job for The People who live there?
    Even though there are 2-elected tenant reps that sit on the LMHA Board a neutral panel of volunteer tenants to interview and do the recommendations to the Board would behoove the entire complex. (btw: The family and friends club recently grew bigger when one of the tenant LMHA Board members who works in the school just got a job as a cleaner in City Hall too.) Normie could have at least gave her a desk job for all her foot soldier work.

Notice the candidate does NOT need any kind of degree for this high paying position with a free SUV and credit card........the Board could have asked for one as most jobs require in this day and age to ensure a well-rounded pool of candidates really qualified to handle a multi-million dollar business. (Please, NOT knocking anyone without higher education at all,my own Father quit Wilson School ((used to be off lower Ridge))to become a shoeshine boy on Ridge Road....so don't go there haters)!

I am surprised the qualifications just didn't come out and state: Plumbers need only apply.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well make sure your group goes through all resumes that are submitted. Weed out any long time patronage/political people and chose the best.

Post Easier said than done, Res......... How I wish The People were allowed involvement!

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Well make sure your group goes through all resumes that are submitted. Weed out any long time patronage/political people and chose the best.
    You make a lot of sense.....but, this is "Lack"awanna.
    Just a reminder of the Buffalo News article from October 6, 2011 Go ask the Tenants their opinion of all this political meandering........they will tell you the truth.

City & Region
    Web Search
    by YAHOO! SEARCH
    Communities » Lackawanna

Polanski’s next step triggers brouhaha

Bid for housing post is focus of criticism

By Jay Tokasz
    NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Published:October 6, 2011, 12:00 AM

3 Comments
    Another Lackawanna mayor appears to be lining up work with the Lackawanna Municipal Housing Authority after the conclusion of his term in December.

The board of commissioners of the authority voted Wednesday morning to request a waiver from the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development that would allow the board to consider hiring Mayor Norman L. Polanski Jr. as executive director.

The vote provoked sharp criticism from some tenants who view Polanski as an ineffective mayor whose administration did little to assist Lackawanna’s First Ward, where the Housing Authority’s three developments are located.

“Lackawanna politics as usual,” said George W. Halsey III, a former First Ward councilman. “Norm appointed all of the board of directors over the eight-year period.”

“You appointed everybody; now they’re going to appoint you executive director,” he added. “That is unethical.”

Halsey also accused Polanski of having a “history of retribution against people who don’t support him.”

Polanski appointed five of the seven commissioners; the remaining two commissioners were elected by tenants.

The board, during a special meeting in Parkview Towers, voted, 4-1, to approve the waiver re-

quest.

Polanski has not received the job and won’t be considered for the post unless a waiver is granted, said Jeff DePasquale, chairman of the board of commissioners.

“We wanted to make sure we had HUD’s blessing to avoid any controversy,” he said.

Years ago, the board ran into trouble when it did not seek a waiver and appointed a former mayor to the executive director’s spot.

Polanski acknowledged Wednesday that he is interested in the job, and he said he’s well-qualified for it.

“Their little budget is nothing compared with what’s here [in City Hall],” he said. “And their major problem is maintenance, which I have a background in. I’ve been dealing with maintenance crews all my life, and I think it’s a good fit for me.”

The Housing Authority, which consists of three developments with a total of 490 units for families and seniors, has an annual budget of about $4 million. The city’s current budget is $23.2 million.

“He’s managed much bigger budgets. He’s managed much bigger work forces,” DePasquale said. “I certainly think he’s qualified.”

Other candidates are likely to emerge in the coming weeks, DePasquale added.

For months, there has been speculation that Polanski was seeking the Housing Authority job, which currently is held on an interim basis by Robert W. McManus, the authority’s longtime housing project assistant and deputy director.

McManus said he was not seeking the executive director’s post permanently.

The previous executive director was Thomas J. Radich, who accused Polanski of meddling in the authority’s affairs and negotiated a $50,000 buyout with the board of commissioners in 2009.

The executive director’s post currently pays $82,000 annually, which would amount to a sizable raise for Polanski, who makes $56,106 as mayor.

A mayor moving into the Housing Authority is nothing new.

After losing the 1991 mayoral election to Kathleen M. Staniszewski, former Mayor Thomas

E. Radich— father of Thomas

J. Radich— served a year as Housing Authority director, resigning when Staniszewski was able to appoint her own commissioners to the board.

Then, Staniszewski took the helm of the authority in 2000, following a failed bid in 1999 for a third term as mayor.

Polanski, who like many past Lackawanna mayors has had a tumultuous relationship with the Housing Authority, is unable to run again for mayor due to term limits.

HUD’s ethics policy prohibits housing authorities from hiring public and elected officials who exercise functions or responsibilities with respect to the Housing Authority during the tenure of the official or for up to one year after the tenure is completed.

A HUD waiver would allow the board to consider hiring Polanski as soon as his term ends in December. “They’ve given waivers before, but who knows?” Polanski said. “If it happens, OK. If it doesn’t happen, then I go to back to work for the Department of Corrections.”

Polanski took leave from his plumbing job at Collins Correctional Facility to run the city.

He also is still considering a run for the Assembly, although he can’t by law mount a campaign if he is in the Housing Authority post.

A group of tenants plans to hire a lawyer to convince HUD to deny the waiver, said Halsey, who accused the board of trying to sneak in Polanski.

Polanski refuted that. “There’s no way I’m sneaking into the Housing Authority,” he said, “because HUD has to approve me.”

jtokasz@buffnews.com
    Comments
    Sort:NEWEST FIRST | OLDEST FIRST

There's corruption in Lackawanna ? I am shocked, ! Shocked I tell you. Round up the usual suspects.

SEAN CROWLEY, EDEN, NY on Fri Oct 7, 2011 at 12:34 AM
    Flag As Inappropriate

How embarassing! Brutal and public with no regret.

DAN STEVANOVIC, LACKAWANNA, NY on Thu Oct 6, 2011 at 11:57 PM
    Flag As Inappropriate

The events described in this piece are SO ABSOLUTELY TYPICAL of what goes on here in the City of Lackawanna.

I used to be amazed at the number of people I saw driving south of here, holding their noses....and now I realize that THEY WERE DRIVING DOWNWIND OF THIS CITY....it explains everything.

THIS kind of thing is why I AM A REGISTERED INDEPENDENT..."business as usual" here in Lackawanna discredits the party these boobs were elected from.

DARLENE OLIVER, LACKAWANNA, NY on Thu Oct 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    Flag As Inappropriate

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************
    Just last Bills game Polanski and one of the LMHA Commissioners left side by side out of Gate 9 where I work. Nothing personal about anyone but......we are "Lack"awanna for a reason.
    Sadly, if I were a member of Mayor Kathy's family I would already have had Joel Daniels on retainer.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Polanski acknowledged Wednesday that he is interested in the job, and he said he’s well-qualified for it.

“Their little budget is nothing compared with what’s here [in City Hall],” he said. “And their major problem is maintenance, which I have a background in. I’ve been dealing with maintenance crews all my life, and I think it’s a good fit for me.”

How long as this person been in politics. Anyone have the resume he submitted for the position? NO resume no job. Do what is best for the kids

Talking " He Who Laughs Last.........Lasts!

"blahblahblah
    Yesterday 12:27 AM#307
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I agree, I do come down on her pretty hard and for that I apologize."

Did YOU post that blah?
    Cute, I knew it would not last but I was hoping; I don't think you even made it 24 hours, did you?

My concern is that the tenants are taken care of and treated with fairness and respect. What are your concerns about this issue, blah and company, seeing that you are in the know?

What you fail to realize is that there is nothing new under the sun.........history has a way of repeating itself. Something will come along one day that no one will ever expect..........it will be the drip that frees we the people from the self-serving agendas of the Boss Hogg's in "Lack"awanna.
    No one expected the thousands to come out against the tire burner either, did they? But then again you were probably too young to notice and would rather be out dancing.

I apologized. I don't know what to say now if you can't take a lil' ribbing. Sorry.

Post Ok.....Let's just agree to disagree on certain issues." Can we just get along.....?"

I apologized. I don't know what to say now if you can't take a lil' ribbing. Sorry.
    Ok, I apologize then for reading you wrong.
    Your " lil' ribbing " is a blink compared to the blathering I have withstood since 1990 when I innocently stepped out of my cozy life to try help my community get with-it. I had no idea of the depths of the political layers that like "Lack"awanna stuck in the muck and blight.

You see I could not sit by and let Lackawanna keep plummeting into the laughing stock of Western New York. I lived in Tonawanda, Angola, Buffalo, and Hamburg and I got smirked at every time I told someone where I was from. I hated it and proudly defended my home town to many of the very people who made their money here to feed their family with. When I came back in 1989 and bought my daughters' Grandparents family home as a single parent, I was on top of the world.
    Little did I know I was to embark on a 20 year journey to try and destroy that stigma on Lackawanna, starting in 1995 I thought I could do it best from the inside as a politician. BOY, was I wrong! But I did get the message out to the people about how much we need change....you have to give me that!

The City--School-and LMHA are one and the same, controlled by some, not all, people who use these entities for their own power and paychecks. I see things differently because I believe in fairness. Good people who deserve a break with a decent government job, will not get one because they do not have enough votes in their family or money to give to a candidate. Political kids are put into the jobs who may have little or no maintenance training, so tenants issues go unanswered at times. This is why I have repeatedly stated that "nepotism breeds incompetence", unfortunately.

I pray the next ED of LMHA has some benevolence and lets the tenants say what they want to do and have for their neighborhoods.......and that he/she listens, really listens to them. I realize it is not an easy job no matter what ......pressures from HUD and everybody else, it will be hard to do it right and to do it right politics have to be checked at the door. It is not an 8-4 job, and many issues need to be addressed. Mr.Mcmanus tried this summer......even the Judges of LA came out to listen to the folks who live in Gates and the Baker Homes.
    Quote #19
    " Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. "
    - Will Rogers.

I refuse to let Lackawanna get run over when all around us there is progress, I can't just sit back and watch........It's been a long time coming, but I know CHANGE is gonna come (old sam Cook song)! Right along The Hamburg Turnpike (Rt.5) in the old Bethlehem Steel property, the railroad tracks are being moved as I type this and a new Industrial Park is planned across from Odell Street as Phase 2. People will be begging to move into LMHA apartments and new homes will be built within 5 years or so, sooner I hope.
    If we would have let Lackawanna become the garbage capital of NYS along Lake Erie do you think the new Union Ship Canal Lagoon, Gallagher's Beach, expanded Small Boat Harbor, trees-walkways, and people would come to smell the toxic "steam" from the smokestacks the "family and friends club" had planned for Lackawanna 20 years ago?
    I wonder if........

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    My advice is to hire someone completely disconnected from the political groups that have been running your community.

Cool Well......We now know who isn't for at least another year!

City & Region
    Communities » Lackawanna
    HUD denies housing post to Polanski

Well-paying haven for departing Lackawanna mayors won't be this time, at least till '13
    By Jay Tokasz
    News Staff Reporter
    Publishedecember 29, 2011, 11:05 PM
    Related stories
    2 women being considered to fill Council vacancy in Lackawanna
    The Lackawanna Municipal Housing Authority has been a soft landing spot for previous departing Lackawanna mayors.

But that won't be the case with current Mayor Norman L. Polanski Jr. -- at least until 2013.

The federal Department of Housing and Urban Development has denied a request that would have allowed the LMHA to hire Polanski as the authority's executive director at the completion of his term as mayor.

The authority's board of commissioners asked HUD in October to waive a required one-year waiting period for the mayor to be considered for the director's post, which has an $82,000 annual salary.

But HUD's Buffalo office decided last week to deny the request, determining that the board had failed to make the case that Polanski was the only person qualified for the job.

"They did not present enough justification for why Polanski would be the best person to become [executive director] of the agency," said Joan K. Spilman, Buffalo field office director for HUD.

The board may still submit more documentation to support its waiver application, Spilman said.

HUD's ethics policy prohibits a housing authority from hiring public and elected officials who exercise functions or responsibilities with respect to that authority during the tenure of the official or for up to a year after the tenure is completed.

Housing authorities, which rely on HUD for much of their funding, must seek waivers to bypass the prohibition. HUD has issued similar waivers in other communities across the country.

In Lackawanna, the mayor has the power to appoint commissioners to the Housing Authority board, and Polanski appointed five of the seven commissioners during his eight-year tenure, which concludes Saturday. The two other commissioners were elected by tenants.

Some tenants and critics of Polanski cried foul over the waiver request, saying that it was unethical for commissioners who owed their appointment to the mayor to then hire him as executive director.

Spilman said the Buffalo HUD office received some letters and phone calls from people objecting to the waiver.

But the request was denied primarily because the "board didn't submit a strong-enough justification," she said.

The request also was reviewed by HUD officials in Washington, D.C., who concurred with the decision of the Buffalo office, Spilman said.

"It got to their attention and they wanted to see what was going on as well," she said.

Leading the Housing Authority traditionally has been a plum post for former Lackawanna mayors.

Thomas E. Radich ended up at the Housing Authority in 1992, after losing a mayoral re-election bid to Kathleen M. Staniszewski.

A year later, Radich resigned, as Staniszewski was able to appoint her own commissioners.

Then, in 2000, following a failed bid for a third term as mayor, Staniszewski became Housing Authority executive director.

The job would have amounted to a sizable raise for Polanski, who made $56,106 a year as mayor.

Polanski could still get the job, if the board chooses to hire him after the one-year waiting period.

Robert W. McManus, a longtime Housing Authority staffer, has been serving as interim executive director since the 2009 departure of Thomas J. Radich, the former mayor's son, who negotiated a $50,000 buyout. McManus has said he's not interested in the job permanently.

Neither Polanski nor Jeffrey P. DePasquale, chairman of the LMHA board of commissioners, could be reached Thursday to comment.

Both had maintained in previous interviews that Polanski was highly qualified for the Housing Authority post.

Polanski also was considering a run for the Assembly seat vacated by Mark J.F. Schroeder, who is now Buffalo city comptroller, or returning to his plumbing job at Collins Correctional Facility.

Polanski took a leave of absence from employment with the state Department of Corrections to run the city

jtokasz@buffnews.com

So can you please tell who is going to get the position now, blahblahblah? Thanks!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread Information