Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rain Check Buffalo - This is cool

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Yeah, probably because they can't guarantee that everyone's roofs and gutters aren't contaminated with something. One person's house might not be that bad, but someone else might have a dead bird in the gutter, or roof shingles that are leaching some sort of chemical. Safer to just say "don't drink it". But it would still be a savings if it were used to water the garden or wash the dog instead of using the pristine water from the faucet for that kind of stuff.

I would not wash my pets with it either.

Originally posted by WNYresident:
    There are 231 cubic inches in a US gallon. Hence if you have a volume in cubic inches, for example 3675 cubic inches you can convert it to US gallons by dividing be 231.

Posted by WNYresident:
    210,760,704,000 square inches with 1" rainfall / 231 cubic inches (1" of rainfall) = 912,384,000 gallons of water for each 1" of rain, right?
    You were dividing square inches by 231 cubic inches not cubic inches by cubic inches.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    You were dividing square inches by 231 cubic inches not cubic inches by cubic inches.

I didn't need to because each inch of rain is 1" high. Example. If Buffalo was 1 square foot that would be 12" x 12" for 144 square inches. For each 1" of rain we would get 144" cubic inches of liquid. 2" inches of rain would give us 288 cubic inches. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I'm promoting the get a free rain barrel program.

I just pointed out you need far more barrels.

I also think the people behind this should be completely realistic and change the 1.28 billion gallons of possible water savings.

Even if 1000 barrels were filled each day that is a total of 55,000 gallons of water. Even if every day for 365 days those barrels were filled and used you would total out with 20,075,000 gallons saved. Is this group using some form of common core math?

I also made a comment about public safety. You don't want the home owners of Buffalo NY getting the runs because they drank unsafe water do you?

Who's paying for these "free" barrels?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Funded with some grants I think. I'll read more later to see where the funds come from. If they are all donations that would be cool.

The website says the barrels are provided through a national grant. What the website doesn't say is that in climates such as ours, the rain barrels have to be disconnected, emptied, and stored upside down every November, lest they freeze and crack, causing a backing up of water in the downspout, or worse, causing foundation damage, and then reconnect the barrel in the Spring after danger of freezing had passed. While disconnecting the barrels, you must also reconnect your gutters. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not interested in storing a rain barrel, nor adding more maintenance to my winter preparations.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    The website says the barrels are provided through a national grant. What the website doesn't say is that in climates such as ours, the rain barrels have to be disconnected, emptied, and stored upside down every November, lest they freeze and crack, causing a backing up of water in the downspout, or worse, causing foundation damage, and then reconnect the barrel in the Spring after danger of freezing had passed. While disconnecting the barrels, you must also reconnect your gutters. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not interested in storing a rain barrel, nor adding more maintenance to my winter preparations.
    Seems like a nice idea for warmer, drier climates. Not so much here.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    It's really not a bad idea. Somewhat costly to save 55,000 gallons of water when you think about it. Barrels can run between 100 to 200 each. Notice tax payer employees are the one installing these barrels. I bet that is rather costly. How many barrels are expected to be installed in one day? One man or two man crew?

Even so it's really not a bad idea. I question the 1.28 billion gallons of water as their goal. As Genoobie said it's a pipe dream.

Set the goal at something realistic and don't bs people. Simple as that.

Set the goal at 5,000,000 gallons.

You can then actually calculate how much water was saved based on the rain fall for the year.

Why not set the goal to 36,000,000,000 gallons and go for it? See what I mean?

In the end how many people are actually applying for a free rain barrel that are going to actually use it to water their lawn? Or they just applying because it's free?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder what you do with them in the winter. I don't think you'd want snow melt filling them up and then freezing solid.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I wonder what you do with them in the winter. I don't think you'd want snow melt filling them up and then freezing solid.
    Put it in garage or shed, forget about it the next year. Then use as a rake or shovel holder.

What have I contributed? I'll tell you - I contributed a $h1t load of tax dollars!
    i'd like the sewers maintained properly.
    We all pay our taxes. That isn't "doing something"... that's merely obeying the law.

What the website doesn't say is that in climates such as ours, the rain barrels have to be disconnected, emptied, and stored upside down every November, lest they freeze and crack, causing a backing up of water in the downspout, or worse, causing foundation damage, and then reconnect the barrel in the Spring after danger of freezing had passed. While disconnecting the barrels, you must also reconnect your gutters. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not interested in storing a rain barrel, nor adding more maintenance to my winter preparations.
    Nope. Rain barrels have different designs. The downspouts are not directly connected to the barrel. There is a diverter that pours the water into the top of the barrel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information