Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Crime Reports

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5280114

Arson Suspected in String of Weekend Fires

(Buffalo, NY, August 14, 2006) - - Fire investigators are trying to get to the bottom of a rash of arsons across Buffalo, and if it wasn't for a brave neighbor, one of the fires could have ended much worse. News 4's Jodi Hovenden reports.

It was just after 1:00 Monday morning when Buffalo firefighters responded to a fire on Esser Avenue, one of ten arson fires they battled over the weekend.

Buffalo Fire Marshal Lieutenant Sal Colangelo said, "We suspect that there are multiple persons involved, and that it's just the overwhelming number of vacant buildings that the city hasn't torn down yet."

And while most of the arson fires have been set in vacant buildings, not all of them have been.

A family of five was rescued from their Sycamore Street home on Sunday, and investigators believe it, too, was arson.

Erica Driver said, "I woke up, heard people screaming and hollering, 'the house is on fire, get out'. I was scared. I didn't know what to do."

William Humphrey, grandfather of one of the fire victims said, "They could have murdered my family. You know, it's attempted murder. Whoever did this, I mean, they may be getting a kick [out of it], may be getting paid to set these fires, or whatever. I don't know. But what they need to do is stop. Too many innocent people can get hurt."

And other residents fear even the fires set in vacant houses could cause someone to get hurt.

Hovenden: Were you concerned for the safety of your family?

Buffalo resident Mark Skowronski: Oh yeah, because the flames were getting pretty high. I'm glad it wasn't a windy day, to put it that way. I mean, it could have been a lot worse.

That's why fire investigators are once again asking for the public's help.

Colangelo said, "They're extremely worried. It's unfortunate that they don't want to give any information. I don't know if they fear retaliation, or just don't want to be involved."

Anyone with information on any of the arsons is asked to call investigators at 851-4515.

There is up to $2,000 in reward money for information leading to an arrest.

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5291307

Bold Shooting in Broad Daylight in Schiller Park Area

(Buffalo, NY, August 16, 2006) - - Gunfire targeted a man in broad daylight Wednesday on a busy street corner in Buffalo's Schiller Park area. News 4's Jodi Hovenden reports the gunman is still at large, and the victim is in critical condition at ECMC.

Buffalo police say 22-year-old Leon East of Floss Street was ambushed as he and a friend left the Exxon Express store on Freund and Genesee Streets Wednesday morning, a bold shooting in broad daylight near a busy street corner.

One witness said, "At first, I thought firecrackers. I'm not use to people getting shot."

Lt. Kenneth Bienko of the Buffalo homicide squad said, "It's very concerning. Shot in broad daylight, 10:30 in the morning."

Detectives say the gunman fired five or six shots from a handgun. One of them struck Leon East in the head.

Bienko said, "We heard somebody came from up the street, don't know where he came from."

Detectives canvassed the neighborhood and searched for bullet holes in nearby businesses.

No one else was hurt, but with a $7 million reconstruction project underway and residents going about their day, Lovejoy District Buffalo Common Councilmember Richard Fontana says others could have been injured.

Fontana said, "We think maybe they knew each other. This was an ambush-type situation, but still, a little kid could have got shot. Anybody could have got shot. We have Save-a-Lot across the street, people doing their shopping."

For residents who live in the neighborhood, shootings like this one are happening all too often.

One man, who didn't want to go on camera, is concerned one of his three children could get caught in the crossfire.

He said, "This is ridiculous. This stuff needs to stop going on, because I can't deal with this."

Councilmember Fontana is offering a $500 reward for information leading to an arrest.

Anyone with information should call the homicide tip line at 847-2255.

Leon East is listed in critical condition at ECMC.

2 more murdered last night

One by an AK on Shumway the other shot to death on Herkimer. There were many shots fired calls in the Northeast district, but they missed their marks, or did shoot up the houses to send a msg. As well a guy got stabbed pretty good in B district. But there are no bad people in Bflo, these are just pretend criminals, ask Steven the authority on crime in the City.

yikes....

some parts of the city are truly scary....

but is it me or is the West Side becoming as bad as the East Side?

it seems like most of the big crime stories/murders lately have been on the West Side....
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter
    One by an AK on Shumway the other shot to death on Herkimer. There were many shots fired calls in the Northeast district, but they missed their marks, or did shoot up the houses to send a msg. As well a guy got stabbed pretty good in B district. But there are no bad people in Bflo, these are just pretend criminals, ask Steven the authority on crime in the City.
    AK-47? Damn!

OK, I'm going to try and do something new, this should be a link to a video AND a news article, tell me if it works...

http://www.wivb.com/global/video/pop...AdTag=homepage

Wild and Deadly Night on Streets of Buffalo

(Buffalo, NY, August 17, 2006) - - It has been a wild and deadly night on the streets of Buffalo.

Two people were killed in separate shootings just a few hours apart.

The first happened right around Midnight at the intersection of Paderewski Drive and Shumway, where the victim was apparently shot to death while sitting in a pick-up truck.

The victims identity has not been released, and there's no word on any suspects.

As homicide detectives were still at that scene, shots rang out on the city's west side leaving another unidentified man dead.

It happened on the corner of West Delavan and Herkimer shortly after two o'clock Thursday morning.

There's no word on any suspects in this case either.

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5294002

Police Investigate Shooting Outside Deli

(Buffalo, NY, August 17, 2006) - - News 4's Mylous Hairston reports on a shooting that took place moments ago on Jefferson and East North.

Buffalo Police are investigating a shooting that happened outside a deli at the intersection of Jefferson and East North.

Police tell News 4, a man was shot once. He's at ECMC right now and is expected to be okay.

The gunman is still on the loose.

News 4's Mylous Hairston is gathering more information at the scene. He'll have the latest Thursday night on News 4 at 5 & 6.

double shooting, one dead

just another day in the city. It is funny that Lipke wants more concessions from the BPD. It is a joke actually. I wonder how many times he goes to work, hears gunshots, then goes towards them ? I'm guessing , never. From a guy that gouges the public to the tune of 5 million a yr, I find it rather amusing this guy thinks we are over compensated. I'm still waiting for the News to come out with its Cops salaries story. Show the people which Cops answer the most calls, as well as the most dangerous. Put it out there for all the public to see.
    They hate us till they need us.

Ain't gonna happen. Brian Meyer or Mier, or however he spells it, has total control of covering that. He is very anti labor and has his head so far up the control boards ass his shoes are brown.
    He will not publish anything that puts you guys in a positive light. I know for a fact that Local 264 has given him so much information, true facts that could be validated, on what goes on in this city as far as it's work force, what the contracts really say, and other information that shows how off base this control board is. He doesn't print any of it. He continues to write have truths, innuendo, misleading facts, and outright lies, all putting us in a bad light.
    We don't even talk to him anymore. It's just a waste of time.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Maybe Brian has trouble distinguishing the "true facts" you guys have fed him from the false "facts" you guys have fed him.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I would have no issues at all in hiring more police at a reasonable wage to cover more areas of the community. I don't mean hire more so the rest can work even less. I mean to acutally have more on the streets at the busy times.

Res, don't be so hasty to throw money at a problem that is resolving itself.

There are so many people moving out of Buffalo that the officer:citizen ratio is rising even as attrition draws down the force.

Of course, I'm assuming that the City's five year plan from 2004 is still being followed and the Dept is attriting.

If not, the officer:citizen ratio is probably skyrocketing.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

I'm sorry if I've missed any major crime stories between the 17th and the 20th

Im too lazy to look and see

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5303209

Early Morning Double Shooting Leaves One Dead at the Scene

(Buffalo, NY, August 20, 2006) - - Buffalo Homicide Detectives are investigating an early morning double shooting that left one victim dead at the scene. Shortly after midnight, police were called to East Delevan, where a man and woman were found shot.

The female victim was rushed to ECMC, but the male victim was dead at the scene.

Police say they're frustrated because there were many witnesses who were unwilling to help investigators.

No names have been released, and there's no word on a motive for the shooting.

and yet another murder

another murder on E Delavan . Another shooting victim dead. I would like to see any future Control Board members actually live in the City. And not in North or South Bflo, but on the East or West Side. Maybe if they saw the lights and sirens going to all these crime scenes they would realize we do work. I agree about Brian Meyer. It is very rare he will put any public employee in good light. I believe it is the managers at the News though that would kick him to the curb if he ever did print a story that contradicted the Control Boards message that City workers are nothing but over paid garbage. Lipke should take a look at our current contract if he wants to see real savings for the City. Again he won't address that as it doesn't fit his agenda.
    They hate us till they need us.

http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5305326

Police Say Argument Triggered Deadly Verdun Avenue Shooting

(Buffalo, NY, August 21, 2006) - - It appears an argument triggered a deadly late-night shooting in Buffalo.

It happened around nine o'clock Sunday night on Verdun Avenue near North Fillmore.

Police say two men were arguing when one man shot a 20-year-old victim several times.

He died a short time later at ECMC.

Police are not releasing the victim's name.

There's no word on any arrests.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information