Thread: Bands of Tenant Council of Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority

Thumbs down Bands of Tenant Council of Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority

For some time I'm in trying to determine what a Tenant Council is. I think I have a correct definition from the dictionary. The Housing Authority supports a shadow organization known as the Tenant Council. This organization is not associated with the City of Buffalo or the State of New York or any national Organization. This organization is not incorporated nor does it have a tax-exempt status from any government in the USA. Perhaps this organization associated with those organizations in the Middle East. Here's my definition for Tenant Council in the housing project it is a group of people associated together in some way; specif., A) an organized group of criminals B) a squad of convicts at work??? C) a group of youths from one neighborhood banded together for social reasons; often specif., a band of juvenile delinquents. The reason I give this organization associated with the criminal activities because they think they are something special over the rest of the tenants that exist in the Housing Authority. They expect fringe benefits from the Housing Authority. So that they can infringe their rights upon other people within this housing project. This organization also sponsors a fund-raising campaign to raise income for their organization. Most of this money that is raise they do not pay taxes to the city, to the state and to US government. This Tenant Council organization is not even recognize by the Attorney General's Charities Bureau of the State of New York. It would not be wise for people or associations to give money to this Tenant Council organization. Expecting a write-off on your taxes for a charitie organization.
    They feel that they have a right to run an illegal bingo without the appropriate licenses. I never did understand why the Housing Authority treated the president of these organization which special benefits over other people. Why does this organization get treated better than the City Workers Unions that is recognized as a national organization? Why is that the Buffalo police doing something about enforcing the law concerning bands of Tenant Council? This Tenant Council was associated with the City of Buffalo it would be defined as the following the legislative body of a city or other municipality b) the administrative body of a county, town, city, district, etc.
    When I first moved into this housing project I was introduced to the president of the Tenant Council in Lakeview Homes. They explained to me that they were associated with the City of Buffalo as a Tenant Council that represented the people of that housing project. If you look at my first definition you would see a a group of people associated together as a tenant association. I live in Holling Homes I am not associated with this organization. I can guarantee you that all the tenants in this housing project is not associated with this Tenant Council. The reason I know this true because I'm not a member of their give compensation for their organization. If you do not compensate this organization you are not a member of this organization. I get no fringe benefits from this organization. This organization does not serve me or recognize my rights within this housing project. The last time that I knew I was still paying rent money to this housing project. This housing project does an even support its own tenant's in treating them fairly in this housing project. I'm a victim in this housing project because I am a disabled person who has been discriminated against by this housing project. Nobody is doing anything about the problem. Because of this organization does not respect me I certainly will not respect the bands of Tenant Council.
    Even these Tenant Council commissioners do not represent me or recognize my rights within this housing project. Why does these commissioners have more to say in this housing project over everybody else in this housing project? Most of these commissioners are nothing more than amateurs. Why is amateurs running this housing project? When the policies of this housing project should be directed by the Common Council of the City of Buffalo as well as the Mayor's office. Why hasn't the City of Buffalo taking the responsibility of running their own housing project? Responsible leadership is what's needed within this housing project.
    The City of Buffalo is not doing their job and properly policing this housing project to ensure it conforms to the laws of this land. I am one person who does support public housing in the United States for people who are disadvantaged by the government that has failed them which they live. I am one American that is still seeking the American dream. The only American dream that this government is provided for me is public housing. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said that "The moral arc of the universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    When you type try to break up paragraphs and such.. Will make reading a little easier.

B.m.h.a. Public Housing

Just another UNNECCESSARY evil of public housing. BUFFALO has to get out of the public housing business. VOUCHERS for rental assisstance in privately owned housing that pay property taxes etc. would prevent these type of self appointed leaders. sell these BMHA owned properties and put them back on the tax rolls. HAVE the commissioners get real jobs instead of politically appointed positions that shuffle papers and respond to "pulled strings"

Exclamation tenant council

A tenant council is legal under federal law. Section 8 tenants have the right to organize a council. It is through organizing that all your rights have come to exist. It is through organizing that you gain the power to decide which newer, stronger rights you need.
    The tenants movement has shown us that the single most powerful way for tenants to organize is to stand together in large numbers and take collective action against injustice. The more tenants are educated, organized, and mobilized, the more control they have over their lives and theirs futures.
    By organizing and having a tenant council we can defend, assert and expand our rights or our position in society...but by ourselves we are weak, ineffective and constantly ignored. But when we stand together and make demands, we have power.
    People come together in tenant councils for parties, garage sales, bake sales,Bingo to earn money for future field trips or other parties. Working together through meetings wins concrete improvements in peoples lives, its makes people feels better about there selves and there lives.Making it a nice community to live in. All should be involved...and should not let petty arguments keep us from the enjoyment.
    In a tenant council the is usually a parlimentary set up , where there is a president, vice president, and secretary-treasurer. The President is considered to be the head of the organization and has the most authority. The vice-president fills in for the president when needed and carries out tasks delegated by the president. the secretary-tresurer keeps meeting notes, records and maintians a bank account and a ledger of finances.
    All BMHA establishments have tenant councils as do most in senior complexes in other areas of WNY.
    All tenant councils run into a few snags every once in awhile. Sometimes indidual personalities just rub the wrong way, while at other times divisions appear between race, age, ability , etc. And sometimes old tenant leaders move on, while new ones were not developed. Often the people who come forward in the beginning are those with good orgainizing skills. But when these people become tired or move away, the buildings are left with nothing. That is a real shame.
    These problems can be helped ...If your group starts to lose focus, consider writing a mission statement for the tenant council to endorse. Sometimes this can help people to remember the reason this council was started and to return the focus to helping each other.

Post 24 Cfr 964

should you want to know what a Tenant Councal see 24 CFR 964. My Councal is both NYS not for profit and a 501c3 tax exemt

Thumbs up 24 CFR 964, 501c3 tax-exempt status

Quote Originally Posted by driver387
    should you want to know what a Tenant Councal see 24 CFR 964. My Councal is both NYS not for profit and a 501c3 tax exemt

I would greatly appreciate you to explain to me what a 24 CFR 964 is. I was not aware that the Tenant Council had a tax exempt status. Perhaps you can explain about the tax exempt status. In the public restaurant used for 501c3 tax-exempt status at a restaurant? So that the group itself would not be paying taxes in that restaurant. Perhaps you could explain what the purpose of a Tenant Council for the community? What are the benefits of a Tenant Council? Does a Tenant Council have a voice in the housing administration policy?

The BMHA is not a part of the City of Buffalo's government, nor is it funded by the City of Buffalo.

It is obvious that you are on the outside of this tenant council looking in. If you educated yourself instead of casting wild aspersions and hypothesizing based on those aspersions you might be on the inside. Or is there another matter that keeps you out of the tenant council? Tenant councils are elected by the tenants, perhaps your views are not popular among the other tenants at Holling.

Thread Information