Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Redskin Team name -Kudos to Lancaster Central School District

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    [I]Indeed. But because “Redskins” is an obviously racial term, the best argument seems to me to be that it is wholly inappropriate to use in a school setting, particularly when the school’s own code of conduct holds that,
    Lee has joined forces with the race baiters who peddle the false moral interpretations of racism...

Like the kids actually have a say?
    Oh, the naiveté of the men who don't want any kind of trouble on their shores of tranquility.

Bedenko and Chowaniec, Save us from our evil selves!

Teach us to hear the voices of Jodi Lynn Maracle...
    Yes, not only is Redskins racist but Squaw Island and Columbus Day too...

And if we do not hear properly, teach us to obey...

On May 19, vote no the Bedenko Bureaucrats.

the kids did have a say and still do have a say. the retirement of the name just wasnt their decision by popular vote and it was never promised to be. no district, as far as i am aware of, settled this matter by popular vote, because it does not make sense to handle it that way. if a decision is made that you disagree with, it doesn't mean that you did not have opportunity to provide input or that your input was ignored. it just boggles the mind that people think a decision that would obviously negatively affect a district for years to come should have been made by outgoing high school seniors so they can be happy this year. should we make all school district decisions based on the whims of the students? the irony of you using naivete to describe the way this was handled! you can't simply wish negative consequences away because of your ideology.

is redskins a racial term? if a white student called a native american student from our school or others a redskin, would they be violating the code of conduct? should we have a code of conduct prohibiting those sorts of things? how is it somehow ok then and not a code of conduct violation if our team is called the redskins?

Indeed. But because “Redskins” is an obviously racial term, the best argument seems to me to be that it is wholly inappropriate to use in a school setting, particularly when the school’s own code of conduct holds that,

Students are expected to behave, and to treat all students, teachers, school staff and others, with honesty, tolerance, respect, courtesy and dignity as per the LCSD Policy #7552 — Bullying in the Schools. Students should respect their peers, teachers, and school staff. Individual behavior should not interfere with the rights of others. Students are expected to use language that is appropriate in demonstrating respect for self and others. Profanity, vulgar language including, but not limited to, racial comments, and/or obscene gestures toward others will not be tolerated. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

If the school’s own mascot is violative of the school’s own code of conduct, what more do you really need? These are schoolkids, and the very last thing they should be taught is that it’s ok casually to insult an oppressed race of people with a team mascot.

Enough is enough. Follow the kids’ lead and bring about a new Lancaster tradition; one that isn’t a racial slur and one that every citizen of the town can be proud to shout and support. Maybe one that doesn’t co-opt Native culture through the use of an historical epithet.

Policy#7552 - The school districts administrators get it, the kids get it, the BOE get it, yet two former BOE members don't get it along with the two BOE candidates whose agenda's priority is to bring back the name, mascot and continued shame to the town.
    What disciplinary action will be taken under #7552 if a student wears a Washington Redskins shirt?

Would a student organized field trip to the December 20 Bills game be a violation of #7552?

Is a celebration of Columbus Day a violation of #7552?

skoorbekim;1532993]

Lee has joined forces with the race baiters who peddle the false moral interpretations of racism...

1. The italicized words were Bedenko’s, you do understand that? And yes, that is the way Lancaster is being perceived by others outside our community.

2. Lee has never used the term racist in his posts. He has used ‘offensive’, ‘insensitive’, and 'inappropriate'. As stated in many posts I appreciate the passion of those wanting to retain the name and mascot but not under the circumstances. It is wrong!

3. You continue to have a propensity to spin what is written to favor your position of intolerance; a position that is far from the best interest of the community.

4. I hope your children are not being impacted by your ignorance and intolerance.

1. The italicized words were Bedenko’s, you do understand that? And yes, that is the way Lancaster is being perceived by others outside our community.

2. Lee has never used the term racist in his posts. He has used ‘offensive’, ‘insensitive’, and 'inappropriate'. As stated in many posts I appreciate the passion of those wanting to retain the name and mascot but not under the circumstances. It is wrong!

3. You continue to have a propensity to spin what is written to favor your position of intolerance; a position that is far from the best interest of the community.

4. I hope your children are not being impacted by your ignorance and intolerance.
    Lee,

Why on earth do care what Bedenko thinks about Lancaster? He thinks the US Constitution is a racist document...

"Offensive, insensitive, inappropriate" based on what, race?

Should students be allowed to wear Washington Redskins shirts in school?

My kids? --- "The Kids are alright."

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by skoorbekim View Post
    What disciplinary action will be taken under #7552 if a student wears a Washington Redskins shirt?

Would a student organized field trip to the December 20 Bills game be a violation of #7552?

Is a celebration of Columbus Day a violation of #7552?

You should drop this.

The possible negative repercussions outweigh the value of keeping a high school team name. That negative image can possibly reflect against the property/business owners in Lancaster. I'm assuming you are old enough to know how people are. Just take a few local bloggers for instance. Come election time if a candidate who wasn't in the www.ecdems.com said "I think the name is fine" they would try to paint a picture of that candidate as racist. Wouldn't you agree?

Some national examples of what is going on in Lancaster.

The Washington Post

The New York Times

USA Today

Here is an interesting one

Lancaster School Board Candidate Agrees Indians Should 'Go Back to the Reservation'
    "Ms. Depczynski supports the removal of Native children from public schools to reservations; I wonder if the Native mascot she fights for will suffice as remembrance of actual Native peoples," Houska wrote in an email. "It is deeply disturbing that someone who would deny Native American students access to an education in Lancaster is running for an office responsible for shaping policies that affect young minds."

We are not your mascots: Why Laura Ingraham’s Redskins remarks are so clueless

The reason for Ingraham’s stunning ignorance of this issue and why Native Americans are still being caricaturized is directly tied to the history of genocide in this country against our people. We are the “disappearing Indians” riding out into the sunset, but really we had to disappear didn’t we? For progress, for Manifest Destiny, for America to even exist. In very real ways, mascotting “disappeared” peoples can be seen as a form of trophy-ism: like the head of a noble beast on the wall.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/13/we_a...eless_partner/

WNYresident,

Should students be allowed to wear Washington Redskins shirts in school?

I know what Salon, Indian Country, Lindsey Bever, and Matt Higgins think? But what do you think?

This is a legitimate question. If you believe that Redskins is wrong, should it be expunged.

---Keep the TV's off on December 20, Jacqueline Keeler might write a thousand word "tisk, tisk you ignorant racists" article... and there goes the Lancaster tourist industry...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Yes they should because that solely reflects against that one student not the "school/community" as a whole.

I said what I think

The possible negative repercussions outweigh the value of keeping a high school team name. That negative image can possibly reflect against the property/business owners in Lancaster. I'm assuming you are old enough to know how people are.
    Any term racist or not can never be completely expunged. Take rap music in the black community. If words are "offensive" quite a bit of rap music would be considered offensive yet it's produced.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Yes they should because that solely reflects against that one student not the "school/community" as a whole.

Playing devil's advocate,
    would not the permissibility of Redskin's attire for the student body by the district justify the vindictiveness of which you worry about?
    Could not the same forces that rail against Indian racism (UB, Salon, Bedenko) accuse the district of supporting said racism by permitting students to wear Redskins attire that Vallely and the BOE have gone on record as labelling racist?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by skoorbekim View Post
    Playing devil's advocate,
    would not the permissibility of Redskin's attire for the student body by the district justify the vindictiveness of which you worry about?
    Could not the same forces that rail against Indian racism (UB, Salon, Bedenko) accuse the district of supporting said racism by permitting students to wear Redskins attire that Vallely and the BOE have gone on record as labelling racist?
    Could happen but I don't think the groups you mentioned would point out one kid wearing a redskin jersey versus a team named the redskins.

Remember what I said

"Yes they should because that solely reflects against that one student not the "school/community" as a whole."

Why are you so bent not to change the name of a high school lacross team. You actually have other teams deciding to forfeit playing against the team.

I'm so mad. Got home from work late. Wanted to make "PRO-REDSKIN RACISTS" signs to put in my car windows and drive down Central by the Redskin walk. My darn computer froze up. My signs are done now but it doesn't take that long to walk that short distance. They'll be done walking.

Georgia L Schlager

I don't believe that I have ever read anywhere where Lee or Dr Vallely referred to the term Redskin as racist.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Could happen but I don't think the groups you mentioned would point out one kid wearing a redskin jersey versus a team named the redskins.

Remember what I said

"Yes they should because that solely reflects against that one student not the "school/community" as a whole."

Why are you so bent not to change the name of a high school lacross team. You actually have other teams deciding to forfeit playing against the team.
    So, you believe that there are degrees of racism... arbitrarily decided by who knows who.
    [Redskins is racist, but not that racist...]

Speaking of the lacrosse teams, who scheduled the games and why?
    Seems like the schools could have easily decided to not schedule the games...

Well at least it was a nice day for their walk. The great thing about our country is that we afford even ignorant people a first amendment right. Perhaps they can find fulfillment by joining the Westboro Baptist Church.

Views: 7,524

Mike likes to do that - he poses a hypothetical question or situation - then a few posts later he attributes his hypotheticals as if they were a reality.

He is as he stated "Playing devils advocate" almost all the time. He doesn't belong(according to him) to any group - just supports the new school board candidates and their actions ,voting down the budget, voting down the Capital Improvement Plan, removing the Superintendent .

He "doesn't do facebook" (so he now claims) yet seems to speak for or at least parrot their ideas/issues !

Quite sure the facebook people and school board candidates are glad he's distancing his self from them.

It truly seems he likes to instigate and is mostly just having some sort of perverse fun stirring the pot !

The most encourageing part of this whole "Red Skins Embarrassment" is how the students are conducting them selves. The ones on the naming committee and those participateing in the naming process deserve some KUDOS

Now if they could teach the parents to act in a like manner !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread Information