Thread: Paladino v. The Sisters - A New Dustup

Paladino v. The Sisters - A New Dustup

An interesting exchange between a hired consultant and Carl Paladino regarding changes to the schools. Here is an exchange of emails and it's a good read. Here is the summary....

> Gary Orfield at the Civil Rights Project at UCLA is retained by the board minority to do a study.

> The Board Majority pretty much ignores the study and does not wait for it to conclude before making changes.

> Orfield hints at racism being the reason an all white majority over a black minority in a largely black school district.

> Paladino calls BS. Says the former black majority of the school board hired an incompetent superintendent (Brown) as a puppet and then wasted $450K a year to provide her on the job training. Says the public elected a new majority and they are not interested in delaying the changes many want.

> Orfield passive aggressively says he will continue his research and will continue to advise the BOE. Talks about civil rights complaints.

> Paladino calls his bluff. Says the train is not stopping and his hinting at civil rights issues does not scare him.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    Someday, I half expect Carl to leave because of bull sh 1t.

The other half hopes that Carl hangs tough and prevails, regardless of the bull sh 1t.

I think CP is worth around $100M but still lives in S. Buffalo. I don't think he is going anywhere. That said, I don't think he is going to move the dial that much and i think he knows this. At least he tried.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy View Post
    At least he tried. #staying regardless of all the bulls h1t
    CARL...may be rough around the edges..to the point..and NO B.S. If this city and the B.O.E. had more no nonsense type of individuals..this would truly be a great to live and raise children...right now..hundreds of thousand$ of our tax dollars are spent on nonsense issues, due to personal agendas, racial distrust and suspicions..regardless of their merit...1st thing they need to do is get a contract with the BTF..get them on board to create a inilateral goal of educating students..get tough on absenteeism, holding parent(s) accountable for their uncontrollable children in regards to their actions in school! Perhaps when a parent is thrown in jail because under the law , they are responsible for what they have brought into this world, until legal age, attitudes will change...instead of suspensions...a boot camp style atmosphere will these uncontrollable students will be punished , thru hard rigorous structured supervision..in bed by 8 pm, up at 6am, studying, learning, withoud distractions...YES..LIKE A MILITARY SCHOOL...most of them are already soldiers of the streets now!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    holding parent(s) accountable for their uncontrollable children in regards to their actions in school!
    how does one do that?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    how does one do that?
    Stop paying them to have children...that's a start. Then cut off the social handouts and gimmes. Force them to either starve or get up in the morning and get a job. You can never expect parents to teach responsibility when they don't have it. Eliminate the government system that caters to irresponsibility and perpetuates failure. Pretty simple.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Vamp, GREAT post

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    An interesting exchange between a hired consultant and Carl Paladino regarding changes to the schools. Here is an exchange of emails and it's a good read. Here is the summary....

> Gary Orfield at the Civil Rights Project at UCLA is retained by the board minority to do a study.
    You don't have your facts straight, the OCR was brought in by a parent, together with Sam Radford. The irony is that Carl thought this would work in his favor. Now he's getting screwed. Too bad.

> The Board Majority pretty much ignores the study and does not wait for it to conclude before making changes.

> Orfield hints at racism being the reason an all white majority over a black minority in a largely black school district.

> Paladino calls BS. Says the former black majority of the school board hired an incompetent superintendent (Brown) as a puppet and then wasted $450K a year to provide her on the job training. Says the public elected a new majority and they are not interested in delaying the changes many want.

> Orfield passive aggressively says he will continue his research and will continue to advise the BOE. Talks about civil rights complaints.
    Orfield does more than passive aggresively says he will continue. The district could lose tens of millions of dollars in Title I funding if they are found in violation of civil rights law. Furthermore, since the OCR is in charge of the investigation the researcher could ask for further investigation, leading to some seriously lost cash. Thanks Carl, that's great leadership.
    > Paladino calls his bluff. Says the train is not stopping and his hinting at civil rights issues does not scare him.
    Not a bluff, see above.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How does the civil rights issue even play into this?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    How does the civil rights issue even play into this?

Civil Rights these days is a wide spectrum. All the way from actually having your rights violated to being black and not liking the outcome of your life.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Seems that way.

I skimmed the link you provided. I still don't see who's civil rights are being violated. The Buffalo School system seems to have issues. Removing people who have not been able to correct these problems doesn't seem like a civil rights issue. If you can't do the job no reason to allow anyone to continue that job. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Orfield does more than passive aggresively says he will continue. The district could lose tens of millions of dollars in Title I funding if they are found in violation of civil rights law. Furthermore, since the OCR is in charge of the investigation the researcher could ask for further investigation, leading to some seriously lost cash. Thanks Carl, that's great leadership.

CP is right in this. Orfield was hired to review its admissions criteria as part of a settlement with the Office of Civil Rights, which was investigating racial disparities among students attending Buffalo’s criteria-based schools. He was not hired to look into the closing of 4 'out of time' schools that are facing closure. The email exchange is regarding how Orfield is trying to change the scope of what he was hired to do.

Now at the end of the day, I wish CP would find a way to add more tact to his communications. Because while I agree with his opinions on my issues...his delivery is about as good as the graduation rate of BPS. That said, Orfield is a race baiter POS. Directly from him:

“The fact that these decisions are apparently being made by all the white members of the board voting against all of the black members of the board and that negative comments about the race of his opponents are central in both of Mr. Palidino’s (sic) messages to me signify a severe level of racial polarization in this largely African American school district and city that is dangerous to the district’s and the city’s future and undermines the commitment the board made in the agreement with OCR,” Orfield wrote.

At the end of the day, if you are not able to see the blatant racism against whites by the now black minority of the school board you're either in denial or your head is progressively stuck up your a**. What's most amusing to me is the racial polarization has existed for a very very long time in BPS. The only difference was back then it was the black majority running the school district into the ground without any criticism due to fear of being called a racist.

Elections have consequences. The residents of Buffalo have voted in this board to do what they are moving forward on. People need to deal with it.

"If you can't do the job no reason to allow anyone to continue that job. Right?"
    WELLLLLL...in seems that skin color has much to do with this decision...if the individual is a non white person who is sub standard in their
    performance..its quite difficult to remove...the "entitlement" factor that many minorities seem to think it applies to them, and their lack of efforts to to perform as required , has much to do with some of the problems.
    The "sisterhood" as Paladino refers to, has shown to be anti white in many instances. I guess I cant blame Carl, until the race factor is solved...which will probably be in eternity.
    There has been black school supt.s in recent past...paid quite well...but have shown to be less than competent...how can I say that...look where the BPS IS NOW!!

Just to make sure you understand. Yes, Orfield was contracted as the result of the OCR investigation. He has nothing to do with the board opening / closing schools, per se. However, if he makes observations he can file his own OCR investigation. Again, bye bye Title I money. That's almost $30M that Carl-Oh will cost the district. Poor leadership. Oh right, he's for the kids.

Please Carl has been crying to SED since day one. This is absurd.

Thread Information