Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downsizing Lackawanna

Thumbs up

Sounds we have a project leader.

I'm not so sure that downsizing this city's council is the way to go. Less of a chance for the people to ever have their say. But that being said there is a lot of other ways to downsize and save even bigger money.

Post Citizens Voice!

There are pros and cons to the down sizing debate. Time will tell if it is a good move or not.
    The point is that the good people of Lackawanna will send a message to their leaders that speaks volumes on how they feel about spending,nepotism, patronage, waste and the good ole' boy system that has run a muck with THEIR money for decades!

The people MUST be allowed to voice their opinion on this issue by casting their vote on it. I have been in contact with Kevin G. for a few years now, trying to get him to help me make the vote happen in Lackawanna.
    As soon as he is done in the towns and villages he will come to Lackawanna because we are a city --we are under different State laws. for bringing it about.
    Remember I told you all a while ago that I had this on the Council agenda in August 2008 and I could not get a second to my motion. Go Figure,

The only fair way to approach this issue is through voting on it to get the pulse of the people.

You can deal with the spending, nepotism, etc. through the same process that would reduce the size of the council, wouldn't it be better to substantively deal with those issues than engage in symbolism?
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up

Are West Seneca residents happy with symbolism?

Too early to tell if they are or not. However West Seneca is a Town not a city like Lackawanna. The citizens of Lackawanna can amend their City Charter by petition where the citizens of a town cannot.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by andreahaxton View Post
    The City of Lackawanna pays the salaries and lots of money in the Senior Center on Martin Road.
    Why should the rest of the community get discriminated on and barred from activities and services that a center provides?
    Public and private money go into pretty much all centers in some form or another. We are only trying to get our kids off the street and get them into adult supervised clubs and athletic activities so they have no time on their hands to get into trouble. What is wrong with this? Also the center could be home to numerous inter-disciplinary services such as domestic violance to teaching young men how to be Dads. What is wrong with this?
    Remember it takes a whole village to raise a child, our diverse community needs to come together and learn from each other, cook and eat together. Now that is the real Lackawanna back in our parents day.

I agree With Andrea on this one. You may say people are collecting WIC - which the income guidelines are not to low so allot of people on a middle income salary will qualify, and HEAP - have you checked the income guidelines on that also - they have gone up and more people who are not considered low income qualify. WIC is ran by catholic charities so it has nothing to do with your Lackawanna Taxes at all (please let me know if I'm wrong) and HEAP is federally funded (also correct me if wrong) but I feel the property taxes I pay here right in Lackawanna should go to improving ways of life first. Remember this is considered a city. All cities have people of all different income levels. You will always find more services in the low income areas because it is necessary to give these children opportunities the people who can afford it give to their children. We are in despite need of a community center. Every neighborhood in the city of buffalo has some sort of community center and why we don't have one who knows? There are so many no for profit organizations willing to step up and give services to these children but we need a safe place for that to happen. We need the big brother big sister program and we need the boys and girls club right here in Lackawanna. I can go on and on about the advantages but you already know. You want to make a change start with the younger generation. You want less people on welfare give these kids Tudors so they can succeed and get scholarships. I'm not one to start the plan but whoever has one I'm' on your bandwagon. I'm all for saving money where we can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information