Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is this possible? - Wife's fraud not known to him

Tony Fracasso - Admin

How is this possible? - Wife's fraud not known to him

City Council member's wife admits bank fraud role

Trafficked $564,000 in counterfeit checks

The wife of Common Council Majority Leader Demone A. Smith pleaded guilty Monday to federal bank fraud charges in connection with $564,000 in counterfeit checks.

Jayme D. Smith, 35, admitted creating the fraudulent checks and mailing them to individuals across the United States while working for the Buffalo Bills last year.
    As part of a plea deal with federal prosecutors, she admitted printing some of the counterfeit checks from her home computer and signing names such as "Keith Marion," "John Gray" and "John White" to those checks.

Defense attorney John V. Elmore said his client's involvement in the check scheme stemmed from an Internet scam to which she fell victim during the National Football League lockout last year. "I believe that she was duped," Elmore said.
    Read the full story in the Buffalo News

Then read this:

Wife's fraud not known to him, councilman says

Fellow lawmakers consider spouse's misdeeds 'personal issue'

Common Council Majority Leader Demone A. Smith said Tuesday he did not know that his wife was involved in a counterfeit check scheme until investigators showed up.
    Jayme D. Smith, the city lawmaker's wife, pleaded guilty Monday to federal bank fraud charges.
    According to her plea deal, Jayme Smith created and mailed about $564,000 in fraudulent checks to people across the country last year. She printed some of the checks at home and signed other people's names to them. Her attorney said she was paid about $900.

In the end, four banks lost about $20,100.
    "She was a victim of an online predator," Demone Smith said after Tuesday's Council meeting. "She got to the point where it went to court. She took responsibility for her involvement, and, pretty much, she got duped."
    While his wife awaits sentencing in cqJuly, it appears that the Masten District representative is not in danger of losing his leadership post on the Council.

Read this in the Buffalo News

sounds like some mental illness issues... x 2
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

She only received $900 from printing the phoney checks. $900 is not too large an amount to hide from a person. I can see how her husband didn't know. Especially if there marriage isn't that strong to begin with.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

WHEN IN DOUBT....plead Ignorance....and same for those who believe BOTH their stories!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannister View Post
    She only received $900 from printing the phoney checks. $900 is not too large an amount to hide from a person. I can see how her husband didn't know. Especially if there marriage isn't that strong to begin with.
    I respect your opinion a lot..

Answer me this.. She may have made $900 dollars but...

Smith's plea agreement makes no mention of the Bills or the Internet scam but does confirm her admission that she created and mailed $564,000 in bad checks.

Of that amount, an estimated $207,700 in checks was drawn on the account of a single unidentified business.
    How couldn't anyone who lived in the household not know that someone didn't write out 1/2 million in checks...

I find it rather impossible he couldn't have known....

We are not talking $900 in checks... we are talking $500,000.....

The complaint states that:

1. She used her employer's computer and printer to print the checks;

2. She used her employer's UPS account to mail the checks; and

3. during the course of the investigation "Smith stated that she knew at the time what she was doing was "wrong and not legitimate".

Why would she make such an admission? Because she talk to the FBI without a lawyer and they gave her the "if you tell us the truth it'll go easy on you" line.

That's the admission that got her. Had she not said that, all the FBI would have had was a dupe who thought she was involved in a legit business.

They are both liars.

this reminds us of the holt family with unpaid payroll taxes and leadership inabilities at the legislature
    these two geniuses live in the same house and there was no change in living expenses?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I just don't get it. Was she hiding from him what she was doing or at they really that detached from each other?

If he doesn't see what is going on in his own home what is he missing going on in City Hall?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I just don't get it. Was she hiding from him what she was doing or at they really that detached from each other?

If he doesn't see what is going on in his own home what is he missing going on in City Hall?
    You really don't get it - she was not doing anything in their home - and the total she received was $900.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    You really don't get it - she was not doing anything in their home - and the total she received was $900.
    As part of a plea deal with federal prosecutors, she admitted printing some of the counterfeit checks from her home computer and signing names such as "Keith Marion," "John Gray" and "John White" to those checks.

So she took her home computer to work?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post

Give nogods a few minutes to collect his thoughts... he'll come back with an answer on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post

First, both the complaint and the plea agreement specify that she used the laptop assigned to her by her employer to process the checks. So she took her work lap top home to print some of the checks on her printer at home.

Second, please don't tell me that you stand over your spouse every time she prints something on a printer in your home. If so, then you need to see a marriage counselor.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Give nogods a few minutes to collect his thoughts... he'll come back with an answer on that too.
    If you had taken a few minutes to think, I wouldn't have to do it for you.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    First, both the complaint and the plea agreement specify that she used the laptop assigned to her by her employer to process the checks. So she took her work lap top home to print some of the checks on her printer at home.

Second, please don't tell me that you stand over your spouse every time she prints something on a printer in your home. If so, then you need to see a marriage counselor.
    So neither talk to each other? Oh honey, by the way, would you believe I wrote out almost $500,000 worth of checks for someone?

Plus she didn't say that.

She said her home computer... Not her laptop from work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information