Thread: WNY Media News

WNY Media News

John Beard is returning to Buffalo. Giving Pete Gallivan the boot on WGRZ's 5-7am broadcast.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/775767.html

John Beard returning to local TV

By Anne Neville
    News Staff Reporter

John Beard, an Emmy-winning North Carolina native who was a news anchor in Buffalo from 1977 to 1981 before leaving to work in Los Angeles for 26 years, will return to local television starting Sept. 14.

Beard will take over the morning anchor spot on the Daybreak show from 5 to 7 a.m. weekdays on Channel 2, WGRZ-TV, joining Jodi Johnston and meteorologist Andy Parker. Beard will also anchor the station's show "Midday," which airs at 11 a.m.

Beard was an anchor on Channel 4, WIVB-TV from 1977 to 1981.

WGRZ General Manager Jim Toellner said that Pete Gallivan, who has been co-anchor of "Daybreak," will "begin a new role, as the most senior multimedia journalist on the talented "2 On Your Side' staff."

"This is not a demotion, it's a reassignment," Toellner said. "He will contribute to our brand and our newscast as much as any anchor will. He'll be going back to his roots — he was a reporter first, and he'll be our reporter who's been here for the longest time."

Beard spent four years as a Navy Corpsman with the U.S. Marines before getting his degree from East Carolina University and starting television work at WITN-TV in North Carolina in 1972. After leaving Buffalo in 1981, he worked in Los Angeles, first for KNBC, the NBC affiliate, and then for the Fox station, KTTV, which failed to renew his contract in 2006.

Beard also appeared on several television shows playing a newscaster, including 15 episodes of "Arrested Development," and two episodes each of "Spider-Man," "The Bernie Mac Show," and "24."

During his career with NBC, Beard anchored national newsbreaks and filled in for Bryant Gumbel on the Today show.

Beard was on the KNBC set on Aug. 19, 1987, when a gun-wielding mental patient forced consumer reporter David Horowitz to read his manifesto on the air. The final lines of the manifesto revealed that the gun was fake, and Beard grabbed it when the man set it down.

Beard kept strong ties with Buffalo during his years in Los Angeles, staying in close touch with Channel 2 weatherman Kevin O'Connell and Channel 2 Sports Director Ed Kilgore. He was best man in Kilgore's wedding years ago.

Beard could not be reached for comment, but in the Channel 2 statement, he said, "I am thrilled to be coming back to Western New York. I have remained close friends with a lot of people from this area and I visit every chance I get. In some ways I guess I've been Buffalo's unofficial ambassador to the West Coast, telling people on and off the air what a great town this is. I am delighted to be joining an award-winning team committed to making Western New York an even better place to live."

On his personal Web site, Beard said that since he left KTTV, he'd been traveling and writing a book "that I hope will be published sometime next year and have plans for at least one more. The first book has absolutely nothing to do with TV news, it's a murder mystery and I think (and hope) it's a good one."

e-mail: aneville@buffnews.com

Unregistered

John Beard

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA View Post
    whats he look like now? .. that looks like a polyester suit

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin View Post

Unregistered

Unregistered

LMAO .. I shoulda known better than to ask you

LMAO .. I shoulda known better than to ask you
    He's such a jackass!!!!!

Hmmm ..... I wish Irv would come back....

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Enough View Post
    He's such a jackass!!!!!
    True, but ....

Is that Ed Kilgore?

I don't want to sound mean or "immature" but he really looks strange;Like an alien or something.
    In fact, he kind of looks like a Conehead from Saturday Night Live! Seriously!
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Hmmm ..... I wish Irv would come back....

Thread Information