Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebola New York City - NYC

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Ebola New York City - NYC

Source: Doctors Without Borders physician in NYC tests positive for Ebola

New York (CNN) -- [Breaking news update, posted at 8:40 p.m. ET]

Doctors Without Borders physician who recently returned from West Africa has tested positive for the Ebola virus , a law enforcement official briefed on the matter told CNN. The doctor, identified as Craig Spencer, 33, returned from West Africa about 10 days ago and developed a fever, nausea, pain and fatigue Wednesday night.

[Previous story, posted at 7:32 p.m. ET]

A Doctors Without Borders physician who recently returned from West Africa is at a New York hospital for isolation and testing for the Ebola virus, authorities said.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/23/health...ase/index.html

See - if he was not allowed to return to the US, then we would have nothing to worry about.

Of course, he might have traveled to France then Canada instead, infecting everyone he came into contact along the way, and then they might have come here from Canada or France, but what the hell do we care about real risks when we can sit back fat and happy thinking wqe solved the problem by prohibiting travel from a few countries.

Wasting resources - political, social, or monetary - chasing foolish solutions is the height of foolishness.

That is why an ineffective and inane travel ban on a few countries actually increases our risk of exposure to ebola and decreases our chances of containing it.

Knee jerk solutions usually just result in sore kneees.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    If he wasn't allowed to leave a country with many ebola cases Or if he went through a quarantine before leaving the area that is high with this illness you wouldn't risk people in NYC catching Ebola.

I think this the wheels are really coming off of this open border experiment Obama has been running. The chicken is coming home to roost and alot of the recent diseases are due to illegals as well as people coming from overseas.
    "We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

doesnt look like nogods hero in albany belives in the "what me worry" system

New York, New Jersey Will Quarantine All Travelers With Ebola Contact

Travelers returning to New York and New Jersey from West African nations will be put under mandatory quarantine orders

The AP reported Gov. Cuomo as saying that controlling "Ebola was too serious a situation to leave it to the honor system of compliance."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-ebola-contact
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

And you think such a requirement is going to protect against the spread of Ebola? Dumb and Dumber.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    doesnt look like nogods hero in albany belives in the "what me worry" system
    Cuomo is still completely against a travel ban, which is what you guys keep pushing for. And he's right, it would be ineffective and a waste of time and money. Unfortunately his new quarantine rules are also going to be ineffective and a waste of time and money. This is all election-year politics and "panic control" for the easily frightened... and you guys fall for it.

If I was going to return to the US from Africa and I find out NY & NJ have a quarantine setup, then I just switch my flight to DC, or Chicago, or Toronto, and then get a rental car. It's just as worthless as your direct travel ban from 3 countries.

Instead it will have the effect of discouraging doctors from going to Africa to help fight the disease, which will only allow it to get worse, which will in turn allow more chances for it to come back here. It's shooting ourselves in the foot by panicking over the 2 or 3 cases that might come here (and most likely get cured anyway) instead of battling the ever-growing source of infection.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    doesn't look like nogods hero in Albany believes in the "what me worry" system

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    And you think such a requirement is going to protect against the spread of Ebola? Dumb and Dumber.
    and yet you will continue to vote for him because he has a donkey in front of his name. That says a lot about you. Thanks for playing

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    Cuomo is still completely against a travel ban, which is what you guys keep pushing for.
    "Pushing for" seems a bit strong don't you think? Its not like I am out in the streets waving signs and chanting. I can live with the Quarantine VS an all out ban.

What I would be grabbing my pitchfork and torch for is sending non medical military personnel over there. That is something I feel very strongly about.

Instead it will have the effect of discouraging doctors from going to Africa to help fight the disease,.
    So let me get this straight.........

You think a Doctor who is voluntarily leaving his posh digs to go to a third world country where the water isn't even safe and indoor plumbing is almost non existent.... in the jungle...... in Africa..... surrounded by people with a deadly communicable disease..........

........Might not go because when he gets back he will have to stay in his house for 3 weeks???????????
    Really?????????
    Seriously? That's what you think?????????

You guys kill me
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

You post nothing but misinformation here, so I don't expect you to grasp what doctors have already stated.

You post nothing but misinformation here, so I don't expect you to grasp what doctors have already stated.
    Dr. Pascal J. Imperato, the Dean at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and former New York City Health Commissioner.

I strongly support the decision by New York and New Jersey to quarantine those entering these states who have been exposed to those with active Ebola disease infections in Africa. This especially applies to volunteer US health care workers who have been providing health care to Ebola patients in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone. As demonstrated by the case of Dr. Craig Spencer, self-monitoring simply does not work. The New York and New Jersey quarantine regulations are timely since they address the next phase in the control and prevention of this epidemic, and that is the responsible management of returning medical volunteers and others with a history of close contact with Ebola patients.

I would add that while the willingness of such volunteers to go to West Africa is admirable, good intentions are no substitute for competent practice and experience in caring for Ebola patients. Most American medical volunteers working in the epidemic zone are there short-term, their pre-departure preparation excellent to uneven, and their previous experience in treating patients with a highly communicable and deadly disease often non-existent.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has hesitated to implement the quarantine regulations now in force in New York and New Jersey out of a concern that they will discourage medical volunteers from going to the epidemic zone in West Africa. However, such a position is based on an unproven assumption that these volunteers are vital to the treatment of Ebola patients. This assumption has not yet been supported by firm evidence. A revolving door of short term and quickly trained American volunteers leaves many understandably uncomfortable since they are often trained, but not practice experienced. It is the latter that is crucial in preventing care givers from acquiring this infection in a therapeutic setting.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewh...la-quarantine/

Will mandatory Ebola quarantines make things worse?

Mandatory 21-day quarantines on health care workers returning from Ebola-ravaged West Africa, like those put in place by three states, can have the unintended consequence of discouraging them from volunteering, a top federal health official said Sunday.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that as a physician and scientist, he would have recommended against a quarantine.

"The best way to protect us is to stop the epidemic in Africa, and we need those health care workers so we do not want to put them in a position where it makes it very, very uncomfortable for them to even volunteer to go." he said.

ebola-outbreak-will-mandatory-health-worker-quarantines-make-things-worse

Nurse Under Ebola Quarantine Criticizes Her Treatment

One after another, people asked me questions. Some introduced themselves, some didn’t. One man who must have been an immigration officer because he was wearing a weapon belt that I could see protruding from his white coveralls barked questions at me as if I was a criminal.

Two other officials asked about my work in Sierra Leone. One of them was from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. They scribbled notes in the margins of their form, a form that appeared to be inadequate for the many details they are collecting.

I was tired, hungry and confused, but I tried to remain calm. My temperature was taken using a forehead scanner and it read a temperature of 98. I was feeling physically healthy but emotionally exhausted.

Three hours passed. No one seemed to be in charge. No one would tell me what was going on or what would happen to me.

I called my family to let them know that I was OK. I was hungry and thirsty and asked for something to eat and drink. I was given a granola bar and some water. I wondered what I had done wrong.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6047308.html

NY governor admits Ebola policy could be unenforceable

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo admitted Saturday that the 21-day Ebola quarantine policy for health care workers returning from West Africa could be unenforceable.

The New York Daily News reported that the Democrat acknowledged that several contingencies had not yet been worked out by officials, including what would happen if someone refused to be quarantined or even where they would spend their time during the watch period.

Doctors Without Borders executive director Sophie Delaunay complained Saturday about the "notable lack of clarity" from state officials about the quarantine policies, and an American Civil Liberties Union official in New Jersey said the state must provide more information on how it determined that mandatory quarantines were necessary.

"Coercive measures like mandatory quarantine of people exhibiting no symptoms of Ebola and when not medically necessary raise serious constitutional concerns about the state abusing its powers," said Udi Ofer, executive director of the ACLU of New Jersey.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...unenforceable/

Andrew Cuomo admits Ebola quarantine policy could be unenforceable

The governor said officials had never considered whether people refusing to go along with the order could face prosecution or arrest.

Pressed on where the passengers would spend their 21-day quarantine, Cuomo made it sound almost voluntary.

“Some people could be quarantined in a hospital if they wanted to be,” he suggested.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1987214

The Nurse? Seriously?

Your using the nurse that went to an Ebola stricken country, came back with a fever and was surprised she got quarantined? REALLY? LOL

You're predictable... you ignore everything else and focus on the nurses complaint. Never mind the fact that it might all be unconstitutional or that it might stop people from volunteering to fight the disease, or that it won't actually stop anything from getting back here because it's not even a real isolation and may not be enforceable at all. "LOL Hilarious!" Now that nurse you keep mocking is suing the state. Great use of tax dollars defending the quarantine that locked her up in an outdoor tent for hours without explanation. And now NY is going to pay financial assistance to anyone quarantined as well as pay for people to check on the travelers. Instead of using money to fight the disease, we're spending our money on new bureaucracy that's only there to placate panicky residents. They have no way to deal with someone that merely changes their flight to boston or washington, then just drives home. This is what irrational fear gets you... a whole new way to waste tax money on something that accomplishes nothing.

You posted the nurse and now your pissed because I followed what you posted? I guess if replying to what you posted is predictable I am guilty as charged. Sorry I don't fly off on tangents that have nothing to do with what the person I am communicating with said like some people around here.

and really..........I am "mocking" her? I stated a fact, "she went to an Ebola stricken country, came back with a fever., and was dismayed because she got quarantined"

That is a fact. if u see that as "mocking her" then obviously on some level you understand how ludicrous it is.

Good grief

it might stop people from volunteering to fight the disease,
    Your repeating the same thing over and over again does not make it true and it was already refuted in the quote I posted from the doctor.

I would add that while the willingness of such volunteers to go to West Africa is admirable, good intentions are no substitute for competent practice and experience in caring for Ebola patients. Most American medical volunteers working in the epidemic zone are there short-term, their pre-departure preparation excellent to uneven, and their previous experience in treating patients with a highly communicable and deadly disease often non-existent.
    if that's not enough, since you put so much stock in this nurse, in her words:

"Someone asked me earlier would I do this again if I knew what would happen, and my answer is categorically yes," she said. "I feel incredibly privileged to be able to do this work."
    Doesnt look like it would discourage her does it? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

start reading the whole article (especialy the ones you link to) instead of just the headlines, you did this before in the other discussion we had, its very aggravating
    Last edited by steven; October 27th, 2014 at 10:54 AM.

Do we have any idea what the "universe" of health care workers, working in the field with Ebola patients are? For example, are there 100 workers? Two hundred? And three or four have been stricken with the disease. What is the percentage chance that a single American health care worker will return to the U.S. infected with the disease? Yea, it kinda matters when the government response is to seize them and quarantine them.

b.b.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information