Thread: It Pays Off

It Pays Off

If I hadn't gotten to the point that I couldn't afford Comcast anymore, if I hadn't stumbled on Dish's website and if I hadn't helped the guy out that installed my Dish, I wouldn't have this job.

Starting last year in October seemed like a great idea... until winter got here. I started out on my own December 1st, and because of bad training, I knew very little about how to really do my job and do it well. The weather kicked my ass. I just kept trudging on hoping spring came soon but we all know how that turned out. I figured if I could survive winter, I'd be OK and after getting pneumonia and missing 3 weeks of work, I didn't think I could take it. But I just kept working

For 2 months I made some of the most boneheaded mistakes, to the point i figured I'd get fired any day. But I kept trying.

But in February, things started to click. The job made more sense. How to run cable correctly, the many, MANY different configurations of receivers to rooms. The different dishes and what each does. How to use 2 dishes to get signal where one dish can't. I turned into a sponge, trying absorb as much info as I could.

In April I started working 6 days a week. And a workday here is on average 11+ hours. My social life is gone, my house is a mess. I haven't cut the grass in a month and I never know what time I'll make it to get my kids on the nights I have them.

In June, 6 months ahead of schedule, I certified to install DishNet: both Hughesnet and Excede

Our top guy works 6 days a week on occasion and always asks me how I can possibly do it every week, month after month.

I just kept trying as hard as I could to be the best I could and in August, I other tech were calling me when they had problems. That top guy, Bob and have become real good friends.

2 months ago, my field manager told me I have the best cabling in the office, maybe in the entire company, because I'm meticulous and anal about making it look perfect.

I just kept working as hard as I could to not make those same mistakes I used to and to learn everything I can about this job.

Last week, our corporate trainer told me he thinks I can be top 3 in the company. 7 offices, 200 techs and I was like, no way. I'm not that good but he insisted top 3.

Lat week, my field manager showed up on a job and told me that Wednesday, today, we'd be going to Galesburg so I could take a class and I was in shock that I got picked for it. Completely humbled.

Today I took that class and now I'm officially a Certified Field Trainer. The only other one we have in our office is Bob, who called the other day to congratulate me and remind me that we are now the most important people in our office. We build and mold the future of this company.

I'm just in awe. I wasn't trying to become a trainer, just to be good at my job but I don't work for the asshats I did previously. I work for people that care about their employees and recognize them for their efforts and nurture them on a career path that can make those employees successful.
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

HipKat, this is great! Your hard work and dedication worked in your favor. Congratulations from me.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

I understand that your letter from Barack Ebola reminding you that you didn't build it is in the mail. Congrats to you. Sometimes it does pay off if you work to better yourself. Personally, I plan to whine & bitch that I'm not being paid $40 an hour to pump lattes at Starbucks. I could try to better myself but that's too much like work.

Conrats Hipkat!
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Thumbs up dude. We have not always seen eye to eye and shots have been fired but what you did is commendable.

Thanks, thanks and thanks!

@Lefty, not seeing eye to eye on some things doesn't mean anything bad. We have agreed on things, too.
    HipKat's Blog

While this is great for you and you deserve it there's a lesson there for employers,too. If you identify and reward hard workers you'll get hard workers working for you!

Congratulations, HipKat! It's nice to see hard work and commendable work ethic is still duly recognized and rewarded.

Outstanding!

Hard work and determination increases your chances of success. I will tell you from experience that working 110 hour weeks will catch up to you.

Congratulations!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Fund your IRA

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Fund your IRA

Or start one lol
    HipKat's Blog

Congrats! It's enjoyable to hear about people's personal successes on a forum with political topics where discussions often require checking personal issues at the door to survive the crossfire. It should make a for a more settled winter for you this year.

Congrats, HipKat!!! It's GREAT to hear that your perseverance was rewarded not taken for granted.

Georgia L Schlager

I wish this site had the thanks or reputation buttons still so I Could click one on all your posts....
    HipKat's Blog

Thread Information