Thread: The young and the educated are moving to ... Buffalo!

The young and the educated are moving to ... Buffalo!

For all you whiners, read it and weep and whine some more! All others, read and enjoy. Good news for the city ... and the entire area!

Where Young College Grads are Choosing to Live
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Its great to see this influx of young grads - time will tell how long they stay.

Buffalo needs new blood - out siders preferably ! They don't carry the entitlement locals do - they bring new visions to our environment!

Maybe if we get enough new residents who are educated they can some day cut through the Political grid lock Buffalo suffers. Younger more educated voters aren't so easily swayed by the old Party Lines - they are open to and enjoy change !

Maybe in the next five years when the patronage feed good old boys take their tax bloated pensions and leave - the new bread will help bring economic equity back ?

Time will tell -
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Of course the census figures continue to show decline in Buffalo. Maybe this alleged population increase will lead to improvements in the city schools. I prefer to wait for the triumphal arrival of the Titanic in New York harbor. One is as likely as the other. Even the Democratic pr firm known as ch 2 news and investigative reports is pointing out that Solar city is a financial house of cards. So is the medical campus but time will tell

Great to see Buffalo ahead of the curve!

“It’s a type of growth that feeds on itself — the more young workers you have, the more companies are interested in locating their operations in that area and the more young people are going to move there,”

wow, I wasn't aware of how much a difference it has been. Thanks for sharing Linda
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    wow, I wasn't aware of how much a difference it has been. Thanks for sharing Linda
    I think it's a case of people who live in/near the city not noticing the changes because they're not big flashy ones right in downtown so much as they are in the neighborhoods on the West Side south of Forest. I don't wander city neighborhoods all that often, so I do notice it more when I do visit like for the Gardenwalk in July. The well established neighborhoods like Elmwood Village, Allentown, the Cottage District, the Delaware District etc have the West Village, York Street near the Cottage District, over by Grover Cleveland HS (which is now called something else), Sixteenth Street, Connecticut Street.

A few years ago, York Street just west of Richmond was littered with shabby, run-down multifamily houses despite the fact that the Cottage District was just to the south was excellent and Sixteenth and Seventeenth Streets just to the north were decent. Most of the buildings on York in that area have at least had exterior face-lifts, and several apartment buildings seem to have had major renos. The neighborhoods west of Richmond closer to Grant Street are looking much better than they did even three or four years ago.

I think the West Side's saving grace has been its architecture. From little cottages to Victorian mansions, so many of the houses there just say "fix me up!", and they appeal to people who want charm and ambiance on a budget. I noticed that probably the worse house on Johnson Park, a frame Victorian festooned in decaying gingerbread, appears to have been rescued. In July, all the overgrown bushes and vines had been removed and there was a sign out front from a notable local restoration firm (I looked it up).

That said, I don't think the improvement in the neighborhoods has been uniform. In many of the working class neighborhoods, there seems to be a siege mentality among long time residents, often brought on by residents' dislike of people of color or immigrants moving into previously white ethnic turf. While North Buffalo north of Amherst Street and east of Elmwood is prospering as a commercial and residential area, the areas north and west of Elmwood and Amherst -- Black Rock, West Hertel, Riverside -- are struggling. I still have family and friends in Black Rock and West Hertel, so I'm familiar with some of what is going on there. Commercially, Amherst Street and residentially Black Rock might be coming back somewhat, but West Hertel and Riverside still seem to be in free fall.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    For all you whiners, read it and weep and whine some more! All others, read and enjoy. Good news for the city ... and the entire area!

Where Young College Grads are Choosing to Live

Buffalo is a much much different place than it was just 10 years ago. Hardly recognizable in many areas to what it was 20 years ago. This new generation is pretty unique compared to previous ones. Examples are wanting smaller homes and smaller families. Buffalo works well here and good for them!

The next test is what happens if and when these people start having kids and making a good amount of money.....

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Buffalo is a much much different place than it was just 10 years ago. Hardly recognizable in many areas to what it was 20 years ago. This new generation is pretty unique compared to previous ones. Examples are wanting smaller homes and smaller families. Buffalo works well here and good for them!

The next test is what happens if and when these people start having kids and making a good amount of money.....
    I expect that many will move to areas like Kenmore or Williamsville/Snyder or possibly as far out as the villages of Hamburg or East Aurora which all have sort of urban vibes with better schools. My nephew and his wife recently bought a house off Main near Smallwood School: a nice older home on a quiet, tree-lined street, sidewalks, a long block but still walkable to Main Street commercial sites. Their daughter will be able to walk side streets to school when she's old enough.

Thread Information