Thread: Suggest a 2-in-1

Suggest a 2-in-1

I need a new laptop to continue my never ending public service of educating the SUWNY forum members. I'm looking for a laptop that converts to a tablet without separating (like a surface pro or Asus Transformer) and has either an i5 or i7 processor. I'm focusing on the Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series. Anyone have any experience with that laptop?

if the Yoga 2 pro had a 512mb sd option with an i5, I might have gone with that, but an i7 is overkill for me and not worth the extra expense. Plus that high a screen resolution might mean fonts too small to see in normal mode.

Dell had a coupon that wouldn't compute. When I inquired about it through the online help system they gave me an additional discount. Total cost after discounts will be less than 900 including a 3-year enhanced support policy and 3-year accidental damage policy.

I use this for work. It's pretty sweert

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tra...rmer&cp=1&lp=1
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

$900.00 and with enhanced support means that they will bend over back word for you for the extra cash they make ( : < ))
    Did you check this link? http://www.cnet.com/topics/laptops/best-laptops/

The transformer and surface pro are not laptops - they are tablets with optional keyboards.

I don't buy anything Apple.

The yoga 2 pro is the only thing close to the Dell inspiron 13 7000, but it doesn't come in a 512gb i5 configuration.

I ordered the Dell.

I'm no Apple fan but I will give the props for their computers. I have to use Mac's at my Church when I do graphics for them and I've gotten used to the OS. It's pretty nice, BUT, on the other hand, I still like being able to have the access to the file system I have with Windows.

Wouldn't the Transformer/Surface be considered a Hybrid?
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    I'm no Apple fan but I will give the props for their computers. I have to use Mac's at my Church when I do graphics for them and I've gotten used to the OS. It's pretty nice, BUT, on the other hand, I still like being able to have the access to the file system I have with Windows.

Wouldn't the Transformer/Surface be considered a Hybrid?
    I see two categories of hybrids. The first generation includes tablets that can be used like a laptop by attaching a keyboard, like the surface pro and transformer. The second generation includes laptops that can be used like a tablet by adding a fully rotatable touchscreen and windows 8.1.

Right now I need a laptop 75% of the time. the other 25% of the time a tablet would be very useful but not absolutely necessary, so I'm going to go with the second generation laptop that can be used like a tablet oprtion.

In a few years there will probably evolve a third generation that melds the two so well we'll call it a laptab or tabtop. Perhaps it use windows in laptop mode then instantly switches to android when physically put in tablet mode.

I think the reason the Yoga doesn't come in a 512gb drive with an i5 process is because it would cost more than the i7 with a 256mb drive (due to the cost of solid state drives and the relatively low cost differential between an i5 and an i7.) I think a basic rule of marketing is to never compete with your own products as to price. They probably concluded that the current "cloud eliminates the need for internal storage" marketing programs make a bettr processor more attractive than a larger internal hard drive.

Which raises another issue. I find cloud storage useful. Office 365 gives me 5 users, and 1tb of storage for each. but I'd hate to have no access to my data when I can't access the internet.

Thread Information