Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who's going to plow our roads

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Eliminate duplicated services, consolidate services = Merge services , save money, save tax dollars.
    Repeating the same stupid phrase over and over again doesn't make it true. DOH!!! The county does NOT now currently plow the county roads in the Town of Boston, so where's the "duplicated services"????
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

According to the Springville Journal the Town plows about 35.7 miles of county roads, the county pays the Towns $3599.77 per lane mile. I'm not sure if that is 35.7 lane miles or 35.7 miles of road, in which case it would be 71.4 lane miles. I will just use 35.7 miles for this argument. At 35.7 times $3599.77 that equals $128,511.79 that the county would have paid the town this year for snowplowing. How will the Town make up for this deficeit in the Highway Budget? Will they have to raise our taxes? Will they layoff some of the patronage jobs at the highway? Seems to be alot of money to lose over $4898.24 that they claim the county short changed them.

The town will save the $ it spends plowing county roads so there will be some savings there. Moreover, if the county is not paying why would you want to plow their roads for nothing? Make Markie get his lazy ass county workers off their collective ass & plow their own roads. Linda D. I told you not to waste your time trying to explain the obvious to 4248. In the immortal words of rockers Jethro Tull he's thick as a brick.

Question

Are you seriously trying to tell me that it costs more than $128,000 to plow 36 miles of road? Think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by worried 1 View Post
    Are you seriously trying to tell me that it costs more than $128,000 to plow 36 miles of road? Think about that.
    With even with gas prices dropping, gas is still $3+ a gallon, and diesel is even more. Those big snowplows don't get 30 MPGs y'know. Then there's sand/salt. And maintenance. And drivers' wages and benefits. And OT because, oh, yeah, then there's the weather, especially since Boston is in the traditional Southtowns snowbelt, which means that the area can count on several days, and maybe numerous days, where the plows will be out 24 hours straight, only coming in for gas and driver breaks/switches.

If you're so "worried" about the roads in Boston, I would think you were a local who would know all that ... or are you just trolling to complain about the cost of government in general?
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

That's part of the point - tax payers don't actually understand what their home owners taxes pay for !

This is great - information is flowing and people who normally wouldn't contribute are !

Nice keep the flow going !

Tax payers must rethink leaving their Towns/tax spending decisions up to a handful of Political insiders.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Trolling? NO I'm tired of us being used by our politicians, in this case the Town waits until winter to inform us that they are in a dispute with the county and everyone should be on guard because they won't plow the county roads. Why did they do this now? Why did they not do this in the spring? Because they wanted to get all of us to get all upset and act like little sheep and call the county to complain.

Lets look at the costs (lets estimate them high for this):
    Hourly wage $25
    Overtime wage $37.50
    Overtime wage including benifits $60
    5 months of winter, 20 weeks, 140 days
    One shift per day to take care of the county roads- 8hrs a day
    1120 Hrs times $60 that equals $67,200
    That leaves $60,800 for salt, fuel, and wear and tear

The county payes them $128,000, do you still think that this not enough?
    Do you really think it would take that much time?
    This is why our taxes are so high!

I've lived in this town all of my life and I'm worried about our future, my childerns future and some day thier childerns future. We cannot continue to fund these taxes and patronage jobs. We are the highest taxed state and that goes for all forms of goverment. Goverment has many functions but it seems as though the politicians have put who's in control and hands out the pork as the most important function.

I guess you're against having any highway dept at all. You, 4248 and all the rest should get together and plow your roads. Oh and do it without any cost so there's no "pork" involved. Your town plowed just 1 county road 280 times last year. Multiply that by the number of county roads your town is plowing and I doubt this is the deal you think it is

And you must be a Grisanti supporter.

Sorry "worried" actually most of those like Grump who argue against thinking out side the box vote Dem !

This is another part of the "Brand/Label/Party Game" - too many voters go "Party Line" and that's regardless of logic that may be presented to them by others.

Its hard to admit these Party Boys don't have our grand parents ideals any more. Its all about controlling the spending of tax dollars - and maintaining control of tax funded patronage jobs.

Party Players don't care about our children or grand children - the Players have their tax funded checks, benefits and pensions - they've sold out industry and regulated small farms out of existence.

In my family - which originally came from Protection Road in Holland - most of my brothers live/work out of state - my kids are scattered from Alaska to California - my niece who's a teacher just got hired in Charlotte NC - her and her husband are gone.

Anyway - educate your self and talk to neighbors - no matter what "Party Brand" they choose - talk about the true cost of Government. Where are we going - even if our young stay here - will they be able to pay taxes - own a home and pay more taxes - if they were lucky enough to go to collage, will you pay their loans out of your retirement savings ?

Where does it all stop ?

Actually, I don't like Grisanti at all. He's a political opportunist who talks out one side of his mouth but votes exactly the opposite. But all of that is really immaterial because I don't live in that district and can't vote in that election. As for 4248's antic comments about thinking outside the box he has never offered any meaningful solution to the probrlem of who's going to plow the roads. Hell, Markie has already said that the county would plow the roads do now you know and worried can stop worrying. Actually, sounds to me like worried is really more worried that county workers might have to get off their collective ass and do some work rather than worrying about getting the roads plowed. As is typically the case when 4248 is involved the facts get ignored eg that the town was forced to plow just one county road 280 times last year. Multiply that times the number of county roads involved and town wasn't making out that great.

Now grump moves to belittle all County workers - you just keep earning that name - Grump!

I did offer a common sense alternative - consolidation of redundant services where Towns provide services the County or state already can provide.

But like Grump says, "lets not let the facts get in the way"

So Grumpy, Markie going to plow his roads, great! But what's the highway supervisor going to do? $128000 is part of his budget, will he raise our taxes or layoff ? I would have to believe that part of the money from the county covers someone's payroll.

Poor 4248! As I already said on this and other threads numerous times get rid of county government. There is no service it provides, not a one, that can't be better & more efficiently provided by other levels of goverment. I'm in favor of eliminating levels of government, just not the ones that actually work. As for belittling all county workers you bet your ass!

Now that the snow has hit sounds like Markie is backing off on his assertion that the county would plow the roads. They're his freakin roads; he should get his staff off their ass & have them get to work!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information