Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erie Basin Marina

Erie Basin Marina

Yesterday, anti-Volker protesters, including me, were blocked from entering the Erie Basin Marina on the grounds that it was "private property." The Buffalo Police Commissioner was on scene with four police cars, apparently to enforce that edict. I was told by the employee of the Marina that this was pursuant to police order.

Well, well, well, another bone-headed play by the political class.

See the excerpt below from the City Code:

S 495-34. Docking at City-owned properties.
    [Added 6-27-2000, effective
    7-11-2000]
    A. Unless the vessel is owned or being operated by
    the United States of America, the State of New
    York, the County of Erie or the City of Buffalo.
    all vessels shall be charged a docking fee at
    City-owned properties (including Erie Basin
    Marina)
    as outlined in Chapter 175, Fees.
    [Amended 1-11-2002, effective 1-22-2002)
    B. Any person, firm, entity or corporation docking
    at a City-owned property (including Erie Basin
    Marina)
    without the permission of the
    Commissioner of Public Works shall be
    punishable by a Class E fine in the amount of
    $105. The Commissioner of Police and the
    Commissioner of Public Works shall possess
    concurrent jurisdiction in the enforcement of
    this provision.

I love how when these career politicians for the first time are confronted not by "stakeholder" (special interest groups) but real citizens, their first insticnct is to call 911.

uhoh jim your gonna get into trouble
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Unregistered
    When I first arrived, I didn't realize that I couldn't enter the marina area to park.

The cops told me I could only go through the gate to turn around.

Yeah, this, the contract for vendoring in this area and Buffalo Place and other legislation such as Empire Zones (did you know the Graystone is the only property in the West Village to have Empire Zone status?) were instituted during the Masiello Admin.

Unregistered
    Maybe next time you can call the NY State Police and have the Buffalo po-po removed and/or arrested for "obstruction" if they refuse to move.

Are you taking this to the media? The real media, that is. Not just a washed up morning talk show host.

Unregistered
    If there's ever another fundraiser at Erie Basin Marina, similar to this one, why don't you get as many people as possible with boats involved? With a boat, you could get pretty close without docking.

Here's Tom Bauerle's comments.

http://www.wben.com/Tom-Bauerle-Show/2575150

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why Gipson? Why didn't they just hire out of their own pocket a security company?

Will some community minded people add up what security costs for their fundraiser and send them the bill? Or did Gipson and others volunteer their time to show their support for him?

THey **** on you and you all sit back

I saw no guys in suits glaring at us from their faux-Secret Service earpieces.

Probably, Dale, who has voted for millions in subsidies to the City, picked up the phone and called his friend Byron...............

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    I saw no guys in suits glaring at us from their faux-Secret Service earpieces.

Probably, Dale, who has voted for millions in subsidies to the City, picked up the phone and called his friend Byron...............
    Jim it is not that simple. If he did not vote for it to come here it would just go elsewhere. He would be negligent to not try and get it sent here.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

That's sophistry, the type of fallacious "thinking" that the think tank, Free Buffalo was founded to correct.

The opposite of voting to subsidize Buffalo is NOT to vote to subsidize NYC.

Why should state taxpayers subsidize a city like Buffalo that simply doesn't work? Frankly, if Buffalo can't pay its bills, and it can't, it should be allowed to collapse under its own weight and be replaced by something different and better.

Besides, almost 100% of the subsidy goes to the rotten school system, which, in all honesty, is worse than nothing! We'd be better off closing the Buffalo schools entirely.

Unregistered
    Here's Tom Bauerle's comments.

http://www.wben.com/Tom-Bauerle-Show/2575150
    Someone just called me and told me to listen to Bauerle. Apparently he's bashing people who boycott talk show sponsors for political reasons.

Seeing you boycott companies for political reasons, (and Bauerle is well aware of that,) it sounds like he's also bashing you, (his "good buddy,") in a backhanded kind of way.

That's sophistry, the type of fallacious "thinking" that the think tank, Free Buffalo was founded to correct.

The opposite of voting to subsidize Buffalo is NOT to vote to subsidize NYC.

Why should state taxpayers subsidize a city like Buffalo that simply doesn't work? Frankly, if Buffalo can't pay its bills, and it can't, it should be allowed to collapse under its own weight and be replaced by something different and better.

Besides, almost 100% of the subsidy goes to the rotten school system, which, in all honesty, is worse than nothing! We'd be better off closing the Buffalo schools entirely.
    Jim, how did I try to deceive you with an invalid argument? I base my support of a politician on things way more important than my pocketbook. Do I agree with all Dale Volker does financially - NOWAY. But he is a reliable vote in areas I deem way more important.

Perhaps my argument was invalid but I did not aim to deceive. You are right - Volker is wrong in voting for the monies to come here.

Question, if the funds are not allocated for here are you saying they would not then be spent?
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

This is another argument for another day. I go so far as to call that organization Mafia - yes they are organized crime. The public school system is criminal and its union head in Buffalo acts as a thug at best.

You have been deceived. Political class flacks sit around and think up clever but fallacious arguments to justify what machine hacks like Volker do.

Liberty is seamless. You apparently hold values higher than liberty and Dale floats your boat in that regard. So be it. (That's why no conservative government in American history ever made government smaller.)

Yes, the subsidies should stop and the loot returned to its rightful owners, the taxpayers.

Any answer to my question, BTW?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information