Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Snot nosed kid vs. Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by LAsurvivor
    You sure have plenty of negative to say about the family of the guy you're "not running against."

Have to say, love the message about running for the constituents and public service and doing for the people, etc. - BUT it sure sounds contrived given your malicious attacks on the Q family.

I'm all for fresh blood, but your bite sure sounds like the old fashioned politics that is destroying this area. You're a little young and new to the game to have that much hatred for someone. Tell us what YOU can do and sell yourself if you are really concerned for the area. The maliciousness is what keeps good people out of politics, so that their good names aren't smeared. We don't need that.
    Dear LAsurvivor,

I appreciate your constructive criticism. The question about J.Q. arose, and I intended to answer it. If I intend to win, I have to use some time to discuss why I believe my opponent is not qualified for reelection. Admittedly, the bite sounded very harsh. I harbour no hatred for the current assemblyman. I am just very upset to see the region and the people that I love be neglected. But let me state here for the record that this is not a campaign to knock out J.Q. It is a campaign for me to represent the people.

I don't want to be malicious, and I hope I never come across that way again. I sincerely apologize if I sounded that way. I assure you that it wasn't the intent.

I am not a hateful, spiteful young man. I hope the political spite dies with the ancien regime in this region, and is not reborn in my generation.

There is one thing I do hold contempt for. That is politics itself. I love government. Loooove it, because of the good it can do for human beings when operated intelligently, cautiously, and compassionately. But politics is the beast that always keeps the government from functioning in the best interests of the people.

and working for the people, but I hate politics. If I want to represent the people honestly and fairly, I have to go through the election. And although ideally it would be wonderful if we could heed President Washington's consternation against political parties; we would unquestionably be better off in our towns, in our states, and as a nation. I know my limitations. I cannot do away with political parties, but I can join the majority party and get positive things done - get real results to bring back to the People of the 146th Assembly District.

We face a number of serious issues that have failed to be dealt with satisfactorily by any member of either house in Albany thus far.

- Taxes are too high, and startup costs for small business is prohibitive. I want to work to keep the tax burden down for small business in the form of tax credits and incentives. This region is dying. Drastic times call for drastic measures, and that includes reducing the tax penalties for people who just want to start a business and life in our region. Their fiscal input to our society is great as it is. Why on earth should we want to deter the very people who are here to make our region great?

- Law enforcement isn't taken as seriously as it should be and is underfunded.

- Government funds are being wasted in the worst programs, where they should instead be allocated to schools, fire departments, police departments, jails, energy research/development, etc. We already have enough money to spend on these programs, and taxes don't need to be raised another penny. However, the funding has to be redirected.

- Government spending is out of control.

- Medicaid has to be fixed.

- Child molestors must be interred in prison for life to keep our children safe and secure.

- Terrorism. Yes, I know that seems like it belongs at the federal level, but in reality it begins at the state level. Police, fire, and EMS services are our first line of defense. Tightening up security at the state level reduces our risk for being attacked again.

These are just a few brief comments on a small portion of issues facing this area right now. I have to be on my way, but I'll be back shortly.

Once again LAsurvivor, I appreciate the time you have spent reading my posts, and I take your comments very seriously. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Max Tresmond
    NYS Assembly Candidate, 146th District

I see that you mention what Jack has or hasn't done for Hamburg, well his district consists of more that just Hamburg. Evans, Eden, as well. Jack has been very good representative of those areas. The phrase new blood has been thrown around a lot, I think that Assemblyman Quinn represents that new blood and has thus far done a good job.

Have you gone out and spoken to any of those areas? Have you gotten to know the people who represent those areas? Probably a good idea to do so...

I'm always amazed that there is general agreement that this area is in decline, but so many people are so happy with so many incumbent politicians.

So the answer is change for change sake......There are many officials that I am not happy with. Assemblyman Quinn is not one of them.

I have been through the district, Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski
    I'm always amazed that there is general agreement that this area is in decline, but so many people are so happy with so many incumbent politicians.
    Jim Ostrowski is flat out right on this (as he is about many other things). The whole key to the political game as far as it goes with the people is giving them a nice smile, a firm but nonthreatening handshake, and by being in their "in crowd". That's the way you're pulled in, while in reality the back door deals are taking place with the various party leaders, and a little more of this region is carved up, and a few more dollars raided from the public bank account. Sound sleazy? You bet it does. Feel used? We all should.

We need less governmental intrusion in our lives, not more. I don't think the change can be automatic and abrupt. That carries more of a risk. The ultimate goal (in my opinion) is for a libertarian type government to be in place that keeps us safe, secure, and carries out necessary functions for the people (including functions the people elect to want provided), and that's it. It begins with one candidate at a time. One voice at a time elected. If that voice doesn't work, yank him/her out of office and start all over again. There has to be an active effort on part of the electorate to return the majority of the power to the people; to decentralize control. Otherwise, stay tuned for fifty more years of the same. Fresh blood is not about age. It's about ideas. It's about how far removed a candidate is from the ancien regime. That is fresh blood.

Keep electing the incumbents you so love. The real loser won't be me. It will be all of us. Except it will be worse as the years go on, because we're just about at the breaking point for as much as our society can handle.

Ask yourself these questions: Are your taxes lower? Are your children safer from predators? Are your schools performing better (not illusory better)? Are your fuel and energy prices lower? Are drugs less of a problem?

These questions can't be answered in the affirmative. The political class pulled a fast one on you in 2004. Professing to nominate someone new, they elected someone as old as the age of corruption.

After the 2006 election, members of the 146th Assembly District can no longer claim that they never had an opportunity to change for the better. Here is your chance. Don't blow it.

Max I must ask

we don't send 18 year olds to Iraq to lead our armies they have to earn promotions and learn the job first before we allow them to run our armies. what jobs have you had and what offices have you held to qualify for this job. What degrees do you have. what leadership roles have you held.
    before I vote for someone to represent me I have to know they are qualified to lead our area. this position you want to run for distributes my taxes. what economics experience do you have.
    seems to me you should work your way to the top not start at the top. after college and a history of some kind of success I might be able to support you. My generation has always believed you have to work your way to the top.I dont like to see a mans son get a job just because of the fathers record .but a totally untested person right out of high school in his first elected position should run locally not for a state seat.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    we don't send 18 year olds to Iraq to lead our armies they have to earn promotions and learn the job first before we allow them to run our armies. what jobs have you had and what offices have you held to qualify for this job. What degrees do you have. what leadership roles have you held.
    before I vote for someone to represent me I have to know they are qualified to lead our area. this position you want to run for distributes my taxes. what economics experience do you have.
    seems to me you should work your way to the top not start at the top. after college and a history of some kind of success I might be able to support you. My generation has always believed you have to work your way to the top.I dont like to see a mans son get a job just because of the fathers record .but a totally untested person right out of high school in his first elected position should run locally not for a state seat.
    Grandpabob,

With all due respect, your opinion of working to the top in the political realm turns the election into a career move. That isn't what I believe in. I have a platform (if you would like, I can send you a detailed copy) of things that I wish to accomplish. I am heavily involved in the alternative fuel movement. The Constitution grants me the same rights, privileges, and protections of all other law abiding citizens. There is no legal prerequisite for this seat in the Assembly other than an age of 18 and a legal election. Young people are leaving this region, leaving YOU with the tax burden. Young people will not remain here unless they feel that they have a stake in their community.

I reject the analogy of leadership position in the military because argument by analogy is a logical fallacy. Those particular positions require training in fields for tactical combat.

But this race has nothing to do with technological warfare. IT has nothing to do with intelligence gathering. It has to do with lawmaking. All you need for that is a rational brain and the consent of those whom you govern.

As for experience outside of the political realm (Hamburg Town Democratic Committee for the past three years), I have been in and out of every court in this county for the past eight years. I have assisted on hundreds of criminal defense cases, and have officially worked as my father's legal assistant for the past three years. I just recently did a house closing.

I have been given an education outside of traditional schooling. Dr. Paul Kurtz, professor emeritus of philosophy (SUNY Buffalo) had educated me in philosophy beginning at the time I was twelve years of age. I am in the line of John Dewey.

By the way, there was in fact another candidate within the Democratic Party for this race. Ultimately he/she decided not to primary.

Respectfully,
    Max Tresmond

EDIT: Economics? I am paying my way through college with the money I earn from court. This is my money, out of pocket. SUNY tuition increases/decreases directly affect me.

Everyone wants to nitpick, but, I really hope to be meeting all of you someday soon. That will explain away many of your fears.

Good luck with your vision. I appreciate your willingness to get in the action and try to change a broken machine. I have yet to hear or see anything about your candidacy in Evans.

Having thought about this more, I think it’s great that young people run for office. Let's face it, older people are simply not running; they're too busy or they don't want to risk their careers or they’re too cynical.

There are very few announced candidates to face the mediocre field of incumbents who have presided over our decline.

So I say, let’s have lots of young candidates and college students running this year. They would appear to be our only hope.

There are organizations out there than can help such candidates including New York Coalition and Primary Challenge.

Free Buffalo can supply ideas for issues and proposals.

Go for it!

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'"

Jim - who do you consider a good elected official. As you have broadly generalized that every incumbent is medicore.

Cool

I believe that either (or both) Primary ChallengeNew York Coalition and even Free Buffalo does not endorse candidates who have been Political Party Committee members.

Mr. Tresmond states he has been a Hamburg Democratic Committee memebr for three years (since he was 14).

I thought you needed to be elected to be a Committee member, by petition, on a ballot, and therefore at least 18 to be a real Committee member.

Or is Mr. Tresmond just stating he hung around the Democratic Committee? I don't think that's what he claims in his bio.

What is the real story?

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy
    I believe that either (or both) Primary ChallengeNew York Coalition and even Free Buffalo does not endorse candidates who have been Political Party Committee members.

Mr. Tresmond states he has been a Hamburg Democratic Committee memebr for three years (since he was 14).

I thought you needed to be elected to be a Committee member, by petition, on a ballot, and therefore at least 18 to be a real Committee member.

Or is Mr. Tresmond just stating he hung around the Democratic Committee? I don't think that's what he claims in his bio.

What is the real story?
    BigGuy! That's a great attempt at trying to force an answer out of two false conclusions. The real story is that I have worked for the committee, performing all tasks that did not require me to either a.) collect a petition or b.) vote to endorse a candidate.

I believe RedGT posed the question as to my candidacy in Evans. I have been around the Evans Town Hall during town meetings. I have not yet begun other campaigning yet. I certainly look forward to meeting you.

FreeBuffalo does not endorse candidates and Jim Ostrowski has not actually endorsed me. There should be no questioning Jim's pure intentions as to wanting to see real competition on the ballot.

Someone earlier asked a question with the word "economics" injected into the phrase. Are not the truest and purest markets the markets that are most free from government control and trust monopolies? Of course they are; otherwise henceforth come communism. Competition is the key to a productive, efficient, and free market.

Analogies, like I said before aren't perfect. I'm not arguing by analogy. In the political scene, single party control leads to oligarchy and dictatorships, wither extensional or tacit. It's even worse when the political power passes from father to son. Sounds to me a lot like something the Founding Father's held the greatest contempt for - roalty. Each person elected to office should be able to make it on their own, make it on their ideas, and make it on their capabilities alone.

The only criticism (what I had anticipated since I decided to make this race in August 2005) held against me by the opposition is my age. That isn't even a valid argument against me because I meet the rule to the letter of the law.

So, BigGuy, if you want to hold me to such a high level of scrutiny, hold my opponent(s) to the same level. That way, no matter which one of us wins the election, you the voter wind up the winner. Or maybe you're just a Republican Party guy blowing smoke to try and give me a disadvantage and spread a little bad spirit around. You may have attempted that, and probably thought you would get away with it unnoticed. But I was watching, and I always will be watching. Nice try (if those were your intentions - I don't know - I can't read your mind). But I'm an up front guy who doesn't hide in the dark asking someone else to go quell MY issues. When I don't like the way my community and neighbours are being treated, I acted on that and did something about it. You, on the other hand, hid behind a computer screen and sneered. It's that kind of attitude that's killing our region.

Cordially,
    Max Tresmond

"Jim - who do you consider a good elected official. As you have broadly generalized that every incumbent is medicore."

You tell me who is good and exactly what they have done to reverse our decline.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information