Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snot nosed kid vs. Quinn

Cool Snot nosed kid vs. Quinn

So, who is this little kid talking about running for the State Assembly against Jack Quinn?

I saw him on TV playing his violin. He reminded me of a 17 year old Jack Benny.

The guy can't even vote for himself yet. He has no experience, either in the community, in school or for that matter in life itself.

Are the Dems so lacking that this is their best hope for the NYS Assembly?

"Young Jack" has been visible, been active, and has been doing a good job for his constituents. Maybe this is the reason there are no real candidates against him.

Unregistered
    You must be referring to Max Tresmond, the 17 yr old UB student from Hamburg.

He posted on the mb back in January. He said he's been active in local politics for the past several years and works for the Hamburg Town Democratic Committee.

Here's the link to the thread he started with more information

http://forums.speakupwny.com/showthr...ight=candidate

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy
    So, who is this little kid talking about running for the State Assembly against Jack Quinn?

The guy can't even vote for himself yet. He has no experience, either in the community, in school or for that matter in life itself.

"Young Jack" has been visible, been active, and has been doing a good job for his constituents. Maybe this is thttp://forums.speakupwny.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif
    he reason there are no real candidates against him.
    Yea, that's it, BigGuy, roll out the second generation politicians; Young Jack could have a longer run than Old Jack ...what did Old Jack do for WNY? Where was his niche, with the railroads, transportation? rrrrrright...him and his handshakes & smiles & visibility

When is the Young Rath going to come in to pick up Mary Lou's momentum?

Can't wait for the Giambra boys to grow up
    Last edited by buffy; April 27th, 2006 at 04:45 PM.

Cool

Hey, Buffy, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Jack Quinn (the current version) is everywhere in his district. Very visible.

I don't know what Ed Rath III is planning, but I would put my $$ on your assumption. Not sure about the Giambra youth. Or Dennis Gorski's kids, for that matter.

However, one example of the "family connection" just isn't working. In West Seneca, Vince Graber Jr. is on the Town Board, where his father started before going to Albany. Junior can't spell Councilman yet, and it's his second term. Someone suggested he run for the Assembly. I don't think he could find Albany on a map.

I don't think you can just summarily dismiss these second, or third, generation public office people. Most have gone to school, worked in some background capacity, and then actually do a good job once they're in office (Quinn, Hoyt, Gorski, even Dale Volker are examples).

So, how can a 17 year old run against a 28 (or so) year old offering new, young leadership and energy? Just doesn't work for me.

Greetings fellow Western New Yorkers and members of the 146th Assembly District!

BigGuy, instead of responding to your rhetorical question let me in turn ask you a more serious question. How is it that our taxes can be through the roof, child molestors and criminals are let off with weak sentences, special interests are the rule and not the exception in state spending, and we have an assembly district manned by a legislator who hasn't done anything positive for Western New York, and you can with a clean conscience vote against your interests and the interests of Western New York because of an age question?

Age is meaningless in this race. It doesn't matter if I am 18, 28, or 98. What matters is that I am competent, that I understand the issues and problems we face, that I serve in the legislative majority, and I am ready and loaded to fight for my district in Albany. That is what matters. That is what makes a difference. If you can't see that, well, that's too bad, but it only proves to everyone that you are less concerned with the fate of our [B]dying region[B] than you are with trivial matters of age.

Voting against a person because of age is no different than voting against a person because they are black, Jewish, Polish, Italian, Irish, Catholic, atheist, etc.

If an 18 year old is old enough to be shipped over to Iraq and defend this nation for people like you, BigGuy, than an intelligent, competent 18 year old should darned well have a say in the government that affects him/her as much as it affects you. To say that they shouldn't implies that all of the brave boys and girls fighting and dying in Iraq are merely the federal legislature's fodder and are not full citizens entitled to all of the benefits of the country and state they reside in. I am sure you wouldn't argue that, would you BigGuy? I am sure you don't want to repeal the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, no?

I am a citizen. I love Western New York, and I'm not going to sit back while do-nothing legislators make passive decisions that are going to shape the lives of my family, friends, neighbors, and countrymen. I will never leave this area for as long as I live, unlike some other "good leaders" who would rather have lobbying jobs in Washington down the street from Jack Abramov.

My credentials and experience is far higher than you are expecting BigGuy.

Feel free to send me an email at my personal email address Maxb49 at gmail dot com, and I will certainly give you the proper amount of time due to you to answer any questions and concerns you might have.

Very truly yours,
    Max Tresmond
    NYS Assembly Candidate, 146th District

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy

"Young Jack" has been visible, been active, and has been doing a good job for his constituents. Maybe this is the reason there are no real candidates against him.
    He most likely won because he ran usng the name "Jack Quinn."

Since I'm in Amherst, what good has Jack done for Hamburg?

Good luck Max, your success will depend on how well you can get your message out, preferrably in person. Your sincerity and dedication are admirable.

Dear Mike,

Jack has done nothing for Hamburg. He hasn't done anything, he won't do anything, and he can't do anything because he is a Republican in a Democratic legislature. The Democrats in the house simply won't allow him to do anything.

If you examine his voting record, as I have carefully done, you will notice that he has voted on an number of bills in one day. This is actually the practice of voting in advance, common to legislators who vote on an issue to get it out of the way so they don't have to show up for the next vote. I think this is wrong because it denys a careful review of each bill. The bills are shuffled out of the way by the legislator as if they are some obstacle in his way of leisure.

I want to show up for every vote and review each bill with a generous amount of time. I want my constituents to get their moneys worth. My opponent has no cash value as a "leader".

Speaking of cash, this guy is picking up a cool $90,500 for not showing up for the votes. It has many of the fiscally conservative minded people in this district asking themselves if we can afford to keep him. $90,500 is too much for any legislator. I believe that the pay for Assemblymen should be decreased. We can't afford to keep this guy at $90,500 per year for doing nothing. Think about it. He does nothing, but he collects a check. Welfare. The voters should be outraged that a middle/high class white person is collecting $90,500 in what is practically welfare each year. This isn't any good! Jack Quinn is not good for New York State, and he isn't good for the Lake District!

"Doing something" means getting things done. Talk is cheap. Very cheap. Getting things done in the Lake District means REVITALIZING THE LAKE, BRINGING IN BIG BUCKS FOR THE DISTRICT, GETTING US OUT OF OUR FISCAL MESS. He hasn't done anything. He can tell us he "personally supports this", or "personally supports that", but it doesn't mean anything unless there are pragmatic, tangible results.

I am a pragmatist who stresses the relation of theory to praxis and hold that the real value and meaning of a legislator is his or her ability to achieve the community's desired end. If Assemblyman Quinn had done anything, people in the 146th Assembly District wouldn't be fed up with politics as usual. There would be stories in the paper about him giving him glowing reviews, like Brian Higgins gets. Alas, he gets nothing in the paper because he has done nothing.

I can do something.

I am a real candidate.

I will obtain the Democratic nomination for this race, and I will win it.

Most importantly, I will help my district by providing legislation with equity, government with accountability, and promote real progress.

Not only do I think I deserve that chance, I think that the People of the 146the 146th District deserve a chance at good leadership which Mr. Quinn denys them.

He won the race due to two major factors:

1. A split Democratic ticket. Fran Pordum and Pat Hoak were engaged in a very heated, very personal primary election. Pordum had won the Democratic primary election in September 2004, but Hoak remained on the ballot. Some Democrats went for Pordum, others Hoak. Events and actions in this election turned many Democrats away from either candidate and they chose to not vote for an Assemblyman altogether. The Republicans had a single-member ticket. Jack Quinn. All of the Republicans voted for him. He garnered a narrow 52% of the vote with low Democratic participation. It was not a landslide election by any stretch of the imagination.

2. Assemblyman Quinn and his father Lobbyist Quinn are liars. He took a vast amount of campaign photographs centred on his father, with him off to the side. They deceived people into thinking that they were voting for ex-Congressman Quinn, when in reality they were voting for the kid. People have wised up to this.

This year is different. This is a year with a strong Democratic ticket, GOP polls at an all time low, and a single Assembly candidate for the 146th District who has the voter registration edge.

I look forward to serving the people and performing the task of Assemblyman as a public service and not as a career.

Sincerely,
    Max Tresmond

Buffy,

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate this.

I'm getting out there. That's why I really haven't been in the forum since I announced my candidacy. I just didn't have the spare time. Today I had a few minutes, and I want to keep all lines of communication open with the electorate. In this new world, that means the Internet too.

Very truly yours,
    Max Tresmond

2. Assemblyman Quinn and his father Lobbyist Quinn are liars. He took a vast amount of campaign photographs centred on his father, with him off to the side. They deceived people into thinking that they were voting for ex-Congressman Quinn, when in reality they were voting for the kid. People have wised up to this.
    Wait a minute max, people aren't that stupid are they? I'd be more inclined to think that the two Jacks were merely hoping to milk any political collateral from the former congressman; hey, it helped get his wife the DOH job.

Politics has been very very good for the Quinns

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTresmond
    Dear Mike,

Jack has done nothing for Hamburg. He hasn't done anything, he won't do anything, and he can't do anything because he is a Republican in a Democratic legislature. The Democrats in the house simply won't allow him to do anything.

If you examine his voting record, as I have carefully done, you will notice that he has voted on an number of bills in one day. This is actually the practice of voting in advance, common to legislators who vote on an issue to get it out of the way so they don't have to show up for the next vote. I think this is wrong because it denys a careful review of each bill. The bills are shuffled out of the way by the legislator as if they are some obstacle in his way of leisure.

I want to show up for every vote and review each bill with a generous amount of time. I want my constituents to get their moneys worth. My opponent has no cash value as a "leader".

Speaking of cash, this guy is picking up a cool $90,500 for not showing up for the votes. It has many of the fiscally conservative minded people in this district asking themselves if we can afford to keep him. $90,500 is too much for any legislator. I believe that the pay for Assemblymen should be decreased. We can't afford to keep this guy at $90,500 per year for doing nothing. Think about it. He does nothing, but he collects a check. Welfare. The voters should be outraged that a middle/high class white person is collecting $90,500 in what is practically welfare each year. This isn't any good! Jack Quinn is not good for New York State, and he isn't good for the Lake District!

"Doing something" means getting things done. Talk is cheap. Very cheap. Getting things done in the Lake District means REVITALIZING THE LAKE, BRINGING IN BIG BUCKS FOR THE DISTRICT, GETTING US OUT OF OUR FISCAL MESS. He hasn't done anything. He can tell us he "personally supports this", or "personally supports that", but it doesn't mean anything unless there are pragmatic, tangible results.

I am a pragmatist who stresses the relation of theory to praxis and hold that the real value and meaning of a legislator is his or her ability to achieve the community's desired end. If Assemblyman Quinn had done anything, people in the 146th Assembly District wouldn't be fed up with politics as usual. There would be stories in the paper about him giving him glowing reviews, like Brian Higgins gets. Alas, he gets nothing in the paper because he has done nothing.

I can do something.

I am a real candidate.

I will obtain the Democratic nomination for this race, and I will win it.

Most importantly, I will help my district by providing legislation with equity, government with accountability, and promote real progress.

Not only do I think I deserve that chance, I think that the People of the 146the 146th District deserve a chance at good leadership which Mr. Quinn denys them.

He won the race due to two major factors:

1. A split Democratic ticket. Fran Pordum and Pat Hoak were engaged in a very heated, very personal primary election. Pordum had won the Democratic primary election in September 2004, but Hoak remained on the ballot. Some Democrats went for Pordum, others Hoak. Events and actions in this election turned many Democrats away from either candidate and they chose to not vote for an Assemblyman altogether. The Republicans had a single-member ticket. Jack Quinn. All of the Republicans voted for him. He garnered a narrow 52% of the vote with low Democratic participation. It was not a landslide election by any stretch of the imagination.

This year is different. This is a year with a strong Democratic ticket, GOP polls at an all time low, and a single Assembly candidate for the 146th District who has the voter registration edge.

I look forward to serving the people and performing the task of Assemblyman as a public service and not as a career.

Sincerely,
    Max Tresmond
    Well Max. Forty years ago when I was your age, I, along with thousands of others worked to lower the voting age from 21 to 18. In 1972 we were successful.

You candidacy is what we had in mind at that time. All the nation's laws say you bear the responsibilities of citizenship.

Take advantage.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    Wait a minute max, people aren't that stupid are they? I'd be more inclined to think that the two Jacks were merely hoping to milk any political collateral from the former congressman; hey, it helped get his wife the DOH job.

Politics has been very very good for the Quinns
    Actually, this account is very true. A lady who worked in the school I attended at the time told me of her mistake a week after the election, and how surprised she was to find out who the real assemblyman was. The confusion was bound to happen because of the mailers that had his father centred in the photograph of the two. People away at work aren't always home when the door to door campaign workers come by. The flip through the mail, and before tossing out all of the political literature sent to them by both parties, give it a glance. They see old Q., they see the name, and the amount of time they give to think about the issue, the matter is settled.

The Q's knew this would result, and played it for what it was worth. Politics has been good to that family. The father ended up with a lobbying job at Cassidy and Associates on K Street, not to far away from Abramov's office. So yes, politics has been good to the Q's. But the question we need to ask is how good have the Q's been for us? I don't think anyone can really answer that positively. That is my honest opinion and I will firmly stand behind that, and I will fight for what I believe in.

I don't want to give you the wrong impression. I am not running AGAINST Jack, I am running FOR Western New York, FOR my people. This isn't my opponent's job entitled to him after the first of the year. He was elected to one term and legally that is all he is entitled to. If he does nothing, or doesn't get his forms in, the seat is no longer his. I am not taking anything from him. I am running FOR the constituents of Western New York to give them honest and equitable representation with the focus on the people and not on me. It's important for us to recognize the miserable failings and shortcomings of the current assemblyman, but its equally important for me to reaffirm why I am running and what I want to do for the people.

Cordially,
    Max Tresmond

you remind me of a young Daniel Patrick Moynihan with his bow tie and his "for the people" unwavering stance

I hope the Democrats scoop you up, Max. We want new blood!

Actually, this account is very true. A lady who worked in the school I attended at the time told me of her mistake a week after the election, and how surprised she was to find out who the real assemblyman was. The confusion was bound to happen because of the mailers that had his father centred in the photograph of the two. People away at work aren't always home when the door to door campaign workers come by. The flip through the mail, and before tossing out all of the political literature sent to them by both parties, give it a glance. They see old Q., they see the name, and the amount of time they give to think about the issue, the matter is settled.
    Shame on anyone who didn't know who they were voting for.

Interesting theory, but I find it hard to believe that they thought they were voting for Jack Sr. More likely was their positive feelings toward the father, coupled with the desire for a "fresh face" versus two long involved candidates made people vote for the young guy with good bloodlines.

That said, whatever got young Q elected, what I know of him is a job well done. He is eloquent, genuine, and will roll up his sleeves and get the job done.

As far as the "Republican in a Democratic Assembly" - that's the problem. We have to remove the party labels and start working for the residents of the State of New York. Party politics only leads to catering to the special interests.

I don't want to give you the wrong impression. I am not running AGAINST Jack, I am running FOR Western New York, FOR my people. This isn't my opponent's job entitled to him after the first of the year. He was elected to one term and legally that is all he is entitled to. If he does nothing, or doesn't get his forms in, the seat is no longer his. I am not taking anything from him. I am running FOR the constituents of Western New York to give them honest and equitable representation with the focus on the people and not on me. It's important for us to recognize the miserable failings and shortcomings of the current assemblyman, but its equally important for me to reaffirm why I am running and what I want to do for the people.

Cordially,
    Max Tresmond
    You sure have plenty of negative to say about the family of the guy you're "not running against."

Have to say, love the message about running for the constituents and public service and doing for the people, etc. - BUT it sure sounds contrived given your malicious attacks on the Q family.

I'm all for fresh blood, but your bite sure sounds like the old fashioned politics that is destroying this area. You're a little young and new to the game to have that much hatred for someone. Tell us what YOU can do and sell yourself if you are really concerned for the area. The maliciousness is what keeps good people out of politics, so that their good names aren't smeared. We don't need that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information