Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is visitor county calculated? More than 1 Million

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    18 million shoppers. But then again are they counting unique shoppers or one shopper going to the mall once a week. Know what I mean?
    No head-count would only count unique shoppers.
    How would they even go about doing that? Retina scans?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    1 million people over 6 months is 40,000 per week. If half of that was on weekend special events - 3000 for the world cup was considered a big crown so they'd have to double that every Friday Saturday, and Sunday - they would need about 5,000 people every day Monday through Thursday. That just doesn't seem reasonable. How many visitors does the Galleria get every year?
    But your calculation is based on a huge assumption that it's completely empty for the other 6 months of the year, which isn't true. Also I think one of the World Cup crowds was about 5000 people (there were two). The Kerfuffle concert was in addition to the normal Thursday concerts. Not sure if you guys have been down there much this summer. There are a lot of people on a daily basis, and the size of the crowds for the major events is sometimes jawdropping.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    But your calculation is based on a huge assumption that it's completely empty for the other 6 months of the year, which isn't true. Also I think one of the World Cup crowds was about 5000 people (there were two). The Kerfuffle concert was in addition to the normal Thursday concerts. Not sure if you guys have been down there much this summer. There are a lot of people on a daily basis, and the size of the crowds for the major events is sometimes jawdropping.
    This morning WGRZ said it was 1 million visitors this SUMMER - taking the 92 days between Memorial Day and Labor Day equates to more than 10,000 people per day, every day, rain or shine, Monday or Saturday. That equates to more than 50% of the attendance at the Erie County Fair. Canalside is 20 acres. the Fair is about 300 acres. So Canalside would have to be 7 to 8 times more crowded than the Erie County Fair every day of the summer, rain or shine, Monday or Saturday. That just seems so unlikely it amazes me that WGRTZ would make the claim with a straight face.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    This morning WGRZ said it was 1 million visitors this SUMMER
    OK, I missed that part. Well then it's even better

I don't know how often you guys have been down there this summer, and I honestly don't know how they calculate the head counts, but I've been at canalside several times each week and the numbers don't surprise me at all. During events, it's a sea of people and it gets very busy even during non-events... even during the weekdays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information