Thread: Distracted drivers cited in 80 percent of crashes

Distracted drivers cited in 80 percent of crashes

BLACKSBURG, Va. - Those sleep-deprived, multitasking drivers - clutching cell phones, fiddling with their radios or applying lipstick - are involved in an awful lot of crashes.

Distracted drivers were involved in nearly eight out of 10 collisions or near-crashes, says a study released Thursday by the government.

Researchers reviewed thousands of hours of video and data from sensor monitors linked to more than 200 drivers, and pinpointed examples of what keeps drivers from paying close attention to the road.

"We see people on the roadways talking on the phone, checking their stocks, checking scores, fussing with their MP3 players, reading e-mails, all while driving 40, 50, 60, 70 miles per hour and sometimes even faster," said Jacqueline Glassman, acting administrator of the government's highway safety agency.

A driver's reaching for a moving object increased the risk of a crash or potential collision by nine times, according to researchers at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute.

They found the risk of a crash increases almost threefold when a driver is dialing a cell phone.

Assessing cell phone use, the researchers said the number of crashes or near-crashes linked to dialing the phones was nearly identical to those tied to talking or listening on the phone.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...21/1036875.asp
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Ladders And Drivin Don't Mix

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    BLACKSBURG, Va. - Those sleep-deprived, multitasking drivers - clutching cell phones, fiddling with their radios or applying lipstick - are involved in an awful lot of crashes.

Distracted drivers were involved in nearly eight out of 10 collisions or near-crashes, says a study released Thursday by the government.

Researchers reviewed thousands of hours of video and data from sensor monitors linked to more than 200 drivers, and pinpointed examples of what keeps drivers from paying close attention to the road.

"We see people on the roadways talking on the phone, checking their stocks, checking scores, fussing with their MP3 players, reading e-mails, all while driving 40, 50, 60, 70 miles per hour and sometimes even faster," said Jacqueline Glassman, acting administrator of the government's highway safety agency.

A driver's reaching for a moving object increased the risk of a crash or potential collision by nine times, according to researchers at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute.

They found the risk of a crash increases almost threefold when a driver is dialing a cell phone.

Assessing cell phone use, the researchers said the number of crashes or near-crashes linked to dialing the phones was nearly identical to those tied to talking or listening on the phone.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...21/1036875.asp
    Yeah, a few weeks back I was running late for work and I was stuck on a side street behind a guy in a work truck going about 10 miles an hour. It was a side street with two one way lanes so I could not pass him. While I sat there muttering to myself I noticed that he had a ladder on his passenger seat. He kept fiddling with the ladder while he was driving, apparently oblivious to anyting else. He'd drive a few more blocks and then slow down to 10 mph again and start fiddling with the latter some more...He, with one hand on the wheel, managed to pick up the ladder and spin it around 360 degrees... Never mind cell phones or lipstick, watch out for peope driving with ladders.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Lady putting on her lipstick while happily chatting away on her cell phone caused a big accident on grant yesterday. I got lucky saw her on the phone and backed way off her. Two blocks later *WHAM*
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    Lady putting on her lipstick while happily chatting away on her cell phone caused a big accident on grant yesterday. I got lucky saw her on the phone and backed way off her. Two blocks later *WHAM*
    Oh, she was "farding". Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Thread Information