Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheektowaga Recycling truck

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Cheektowaga Recycling truck

This video was forwarded over to me. Notice there is only one driver picking up the new recycling totes. Why can this not be done with the totes for garbage pickup?

Didn't Cheektowaga have those same type trucks in the recent past ? What happened to them ?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Didn't Cheektowaga have those same type trucks in the recent past ? What happened to them ?
    frank max got rid of all of them to keep his cronies employed

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You know what I heard? That when this topic is brought up that Jerry and Mary blow it off. Think that is true?

I brought this up back in May in the tote thread.....my assumption is the UNION contract will NOT allow 1 man trucks ....but they do allow paying 8hrs pay for a partial days work!

Also the town would have to buy ALL new garbage trucks at approx. $250,000ea.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Seriously what does the union have to say about it? That is like going to tops and being told what type of onions you can buy even though there are other onions available Know what I mean? I'm pretty sure there are other tasks our town needs done that anyone from sanitation can handle. Loads of pot holes to be repaired...

Our town is losing population while basically people from the Cheektowaga Democratic Party run things. That is factual. I also go word that quite a few people along Nagle are unhappy about the walmart and the traffic it will create.

Last week was the first time I noticed recycling had a second guy on the truck to place the totes so the arm could reach them. It looked like a different truck then has been used in the past. Still 1 less guy than the town uses, and work 8 hour days opposed to 4 hours.

Because the garbage trucks do not act like that. You have one driver and two young boys to move the garbage cans to the back of the trucks hook them onto that lift then throw the cans unto your property, yes throw them. why make a job easier when you can keep the job hard.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

For the automatic lift arm to work properly the tote has to be properly placed and facing in the right direction. Unfortunately, this simple concept eludes many property owners. Therefore, a tote sometimes has to be moved. I suppose the truck driver could do it but then all the efficiency experts out the would bitch about that, what with the truck stopping too long at each site etc etc etc. somehow I don't think collecting the garbage of others is the picnic some make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    For the automatic lift arm to work properly the tote has to be properly placed and facing in the right direction. Unfortunately, this simple concept eludes many property owners. Therefore, a tote sometimes has to be moved. I suppose the truck driver could do it but then all the efficiency experts out the would bitch about that, what with the truck stopping too long at each site etc etc etc. somehow I don't think collecting the garbage of others is the picnic some make it out to be.

With the town truck that's correct, recycling truck arm just grabs the tote around the middle and lifts it up. Amazing that the town needs it placed just so, but recycling co found an arm that just grabs the thing no matter how it's placed.

How about this....if the tote isn't facing the right way, it doesn't get picked up. It really needs to be made simple so people are forced to make garbage pick-up as efficient as possible. Why should the people who always do it right be forced to pay for the dee-taa-dees who can't figure it out.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Vamp thinks like I do. We do have to realize that in the winter it is sometimes hard to place a tote or garbage can correctly after a plow clears the road. What we should do is see how other communities handle their totes/pickup. Maybe in the winter 2 people will be required for garbage pickup while in the summer it could be one.

If the Cheektowaga democratic party controls our town and wants to employ their supporters/families we could at least direct the labor to issues the town needs done.

In my town we don't have town trucks; it's all outside vendors. Some are "side loaders" with arms that grab the tote. Other trucks are back loaders that require 2 people. Usually the side loaders are for recycling loads but today both recycling and garbage were rear loaders. Then there's the lawn waste pickup which is always rear load.

The solution to putting the tote out in the proper direction (garbage totes go handle out, recycling totes go the opposite) is to use a stencil and a can of spray paint and paint the words "STREET SIDE" on the proper side of any tote that is not facing correctly and leave a note on the tote. After a couple cycles of recycling the problem will be mostly clear up.....but there will always be those that don't comprehend the instructions!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Dan Roman's post was right. The recycling company figured out a way that it does not matter if the tote is exact at the edge of the road. It just grabs it right in the middle of the tote.

A person who was saw the recycling truck stated: "I watched the truck for quite a long time and it was amazing how effortless it was for the driver to use the arm."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information