Thread: Free retail space

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Free retail space

Free retail space proposed for downtown

Buffalo Place Inc. has a possible solution for the slew of empty storefronts along Main Street.With a new wave of development momentum taking hold in the central business district, Buffalo Place officials are reaching out to downtown landlords to see if they would donate the empty street-level space to local retailers who might want to test the viability of the downtown market.
    Business First Read More

I think this is cool as long as no subsidizes are given. Landlords can do what they want to a point with their property. IE: give free rent.

Why would anyone need a "program" for this? It would be like Buffalo Place Officials suggesting that retailers should have a sale. buffalo Place doesn't seem to be adding anything to the mix:

Any donated space would be on a short-term basis and subject to negotiations between the building owner and tenant.
    And what's with the "donated" designation? who is getting a "donation"? If the landlord and tenant "negotiate" a lease, it is not a "donation" - it is a lease.

Silly people and their silly ideas.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Sometimes it take a person/organization to get the ball rolling.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    They are donating the space for a specific amount of time. Free rent. I occasionally volunteer and help people with their computer issues. You could say I'm donating my time or simply giving it away for free. Why would you focus on the donation wording?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    They are donating the space for a specific amount of time. Free rent. I occasionally volunteer and help people with their computer issues. You could say I'm donating my time or simply giving it away for free. Why would you focus on the donation wording?
    It is just an odd word to use in a commercial transaction. "Free" is usually not accompanied by the term "negotiation". When you buy $25,000 car on sale for $22,000, did the car dealer make a $3,000 donation to you?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Either way I think it's cool if it works out. No tax payer subsidies or grants.

The stores or retail establishments closed when the customers stopped coming downtown. People are social, they don't like to pay for the sociability. Shoppers at one time went downtown to browse the stores and eat lunch. But in the late 80's
    senior Gov Cuomo changed the vehicle and traffic laws so municipalities could raise revenue through parking tickets and traffic enforcement. So the parking enforcement department was created for Buffalo. Their effect of their efficiency and the
    higher parking fees and doubling and tripling or parking fines was to chase the customers out of downtown. The stores closed when the customers stopped visiting downtown. It took time for parking enforcement policies to work but gradually the
    message got through to the customers that if you over stayed your meter you would pay thirty dollars for that infraction. In downtown Buffalo there is no free lunch or dinnner.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Galleria/malls hurt downtown shopping including building the subway?

If the Galleria and all the other malls charged for parking when you were browsing, eating or seriously shopping and spending money how many people do you think they would attract? What if I stopped at one of the stores and spent an extra
    half hour only to find a thirty dollar ticket on my car that doubled in eight days if not paid promptly. How long do you think that mall would stay open. I suspect shoppers at that Mall would gravitate towards another place to shop just as they did
    in downtown Buffalo. People want to spend there money on products not give it to the government. Shopping, socializing, and business are not normally conducted on a timers stop watch.

Thread Information